Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM

Default First Viv, 10g

Thought about getting dart frogs a couple years ago but ended up with a Ball Python instead, but recently I noticed dendroboard in my favorites and began cruising the site again and decided to go for it! I'm 18 and starting college in the fall so I did this as low-cost as possible, and having a lot of random stuff in the house really helped me out with that. Didn't think to take pictures during construction seeing as this one is just holding me over till I can dedicate money/time to my 48"x18"x24" (er something close to that), but I will next time I promise. Anyway, its a 10g that will be home to a pair of Azureus when it's ready. Oh and quick question, the plants I got, is "planting" them as easy as sticking the clipped end into the substrate (other than the broms which I have mounted on the walls)? Excuse the cell phone pics.

Full tank shot (a lot of my water has evaporated out because the tank was uncovered for awhile, I'll go top that off as soon as I'm done with this post actually)

Construction Materials:
10g from petco - $10 (dollar a gallon sale)
Coco Fiber from petco - $5
Glass (cut at lowes for top) - $8
GE 100% Silicone caulk, brown, from basement - Free
6500k CFL Bulb (2), basement - Free
Pea Gravel from the garage - Free
Floral Styrofoam from garage - Free
1.5" PVC from garage - Free
Fiberglass window screen from basement - Free
Miscellaneous plants and leaf litter (Thanks to Josh's Frogs, couldn't be happier with what I got) - $25 ish

The floral styrofoam was made into the background. The piece I used would be maybe $10 new, and i have enough leftover for 2 or 3 smaller tanks. I cut it to the dimensions I needed, then cut it to less then half the original thickness. The scrap thin pieces I then broke with my hands into random shapes, used tooth-picks to place them onto the background until I liked the shape/designs, then siliconed them in place, then siliconed/coco-fibered the whole thing.
Here's a pic of some scrap pieces to give you an idea

Right now the lighting is just a couple of lamp reflectors with the 6500k CFL's in them (two to make sure light covers the whole tank and all the plants), but I stumbled across a little surprise in my basement while looking for other stuff so a DIY hood is next on my list. A big box of wired light bulb sockets!

Thanks for looking, critiques welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 PM

Default Re: First Viv, 10g

Looks good! Neat idea with the foam.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
TWI/ASN

How hot do those CFL's get? And 10g may get a little cramped for Azureus.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Yeah looks good so far, I was going to mention the heat also so make sure you monitor it. Maybe might want to do a combination screen/glass top for a little airflow also
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 PM

The lights had it up to around 85 originally, but I raised them up off the glass by about 4 inches and put some screen in place between my two pieces of glass so the middle can ventilate and its been staying around a degree or two of 76 and between 80-90% humidity now. Putting a fan in wouldn't be a problem if it gets warm again though
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
and put some screen in place between my two pieces of glass so the middle can ventilate
Can you post a pic of that?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM

Here's a quick pic of the top. The glass on the back half is siliconed in place, the front piece is completely free, and the about 1" gap is covered with a strip of window screen held in place with silicone. I didn't use any sort of hinge, but my lid opens fine without one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (13.7 KB, 20 views)