Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 AM

Default My Bastimentos

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted any pictures. I was bored so I took some shots of my red bastis today. They aren't the best, but I haven't had much practice time with my camera recently, haha.
They are about 4.5 months old. Someone told me that they don't call until they are older but I hear the brighter red one call EVERY day. He's pretty loud too.

The orange-ish one kinda has a big head, lol.
I'm going to order around 15 more broms and some driftwood so this tank will be completely filled with plants for these little guys.

Hope you enjoyed,
-Luis
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 AM

Default Re: My Bastimentos

shaaaaaaaaaaawingggggggggg
Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 AM

Hahahaha.
*pelvic thrust*

Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 AM

Very nice! I recently got my first basti's 0.0.2 but within the week of receiving both started to call. What size viv is that?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:35 AM

Thanks! It's an 18" Exo Terra tank. How old are yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflight View Post
Very nice! I recently got my first basti's 0.0.2 but within the week of receiving both started to call. What size viv is that?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 AM

They are around 6 months old. I got a bright orange and dark orange(almost red). They are definitely my boldest and favorite frogs!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:08 AM

That's awesome.
I really love these guys. They are fun to watch when they climb all over stuff. The really red one is super outgoing. He climbs all over the tank, and sometimes falls, lol.

Also, I don't name my frogs or fish, but the really red one is now named Houdini. Somehow he escaped and was sitting on top of the tank. Good thing my brother noticed a small red guy just looking around, haha.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwing206 View Post
Also, I don't name my frogs or fish, but the really red one is now named Houdini. Somehow he escaped and was sitting on top of the tank. Good thing my brother noticed a small red guy just looking around, haha.
I had the same thing happen once. One of my young auratus had managed to get out and was sitting on the counter next to the tank, picking off stray fruit flies that were in the fruit bowl. My friend was over and he said, "Hey, Bryan, is that frog supposed to be just sitting out there like that?" Make sure you seal up that tank, you don't want him getting out again!

They look very nice, my pumilio are so bold for their size, I love them.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Stunning frogs man! And I also love the arrangement on the bottom right of the tank
Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM

those are some beauties you got there.. I just picked up a pair of yellow bastis they are great frogs, very bold. I would've had a heart attack if i saw one of my pums out of its tank lol, lucky your bro saw him. what is that red stem plant on the piece of wood?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:20 PM

im bummin , i got males but they never call unless they are placed in a different tank ! only then do they grunt but they never puff up and call , the tanks temp is @ 83 and it not drenched but not super dry (still moisture on glass) even when i play basti calls i dont get much of a response. Kinda bummed out / they were @ 6-7 months 4 months ago .. so about a yr now . They cover the whole tank and they eat good but not very good at calling ! lol .. any suggestions ?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Haha wow, that was a close one. Glad your friend spotted yours. I'm changing the top for a glass one today, so I should be good for future escape attempts. For now the tank is sealed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore Bryan View Post
I had the same thing happen once. One of my young auratus had managed to get out and was sitting on the counter next to the tank, picking off stray fruit flies that were in the fruit bowl. My friend was over and he said, "Hey, Bryan, is that frog supposed to be just sitting out there like that?" Make sure you seal up that tank, you don't want him getting out again!

They look very nice, my pumilio are so bold for their size, I love them.
Thanks dude! I found that rock in my front yard and stuck it in there. I think it looks pretty cool, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eos View Post
Stunning frogs man! And I also love the arrangement on the bottom right of the tank
Thanks man. Post some pictures of yours, I wanna see!
I almost did have a heart attack. Good thing he didn't jump, his tank is a good 4 feet off the ground, lol.
I'm pretty sure that plant is codonanthe serrulata. Maybe Antone can say for sure, I got it from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer420 View Post
those are some beauties you got there.. I just picked up a pair of yellow bastis they are great frogs, very bold. I would've had a heart attack if i saw one of my pums out of its tank lol, lucky your bro saw him. what is that red stem plant on the piece of wood?
At first my little guy didn't call, he would just puff up and make sounds like he was coughing. He eventually started though, I never played him any recorded calls either. I'd just give them time, hopefully they'll call for you.
I usually mist once a day at a random time. I used to mist twice a day but the vivs were all soaked so I cut down. Also are you positive that they are males?
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman25 View Post
im bummin , i got males but they never call unless they are placed in a different tank ! only then do they grunt but they never puff up and call , the tanks temp is @ 83 and it not drenched but not super dry (still moisture on glass) even when i play basti calls i dont get much of a response. Kinda bummed out / they were @ 6-7 months 4 months ago .. so about a yr now . They cover the whole tank and they eat good but not very good at calling ! lol .. any suggestions ?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

Mine would call to each other and then wrestle, so I separated them and have not heard calling since. I hope to find a female soon(it would help if I was more active at looking) I absolutely love the sound of their call.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 PM
TWI/ASN

those are some nice bstis you have there luis! nice job on the tank too.

Ranitomeya, Oophaga, Ameerega, and Phyllobates.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM

well sad news , and its funny you all were stating about frogs escaping / what did i learn today ? do not use *(^*( plexiglASS AS A TANK LID CAUSE IT SUCKS !!sorry for screamin , came home from work today and my hex tank with 2 bastis One known male , one unsure .. well the lid fell inward . the only thing i can guess is warpage from heat from the light . well one fro was still in tank and the other dried up . I quickly srayed the unknown frog down and I got leg twitching then nothing . Its messed up what makes a grown man teariewd eyed . It wasnt the loss of a frog or the loss of money . Its the fact the frogs depend on us and i let it down . tomarrow ... go to glass shop and pay to have one cut . Learn from the mistakes i guess ,. still sucks that frog would come to the front to look at me when i was close . Pums def. have a awesome personality ..... "white pepper " you will be missed ;(
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwing206 View Post
Haha wow, that was a close one. Glad your friend spotted yours. I'm changing the top for a glass one today, so I should be good for future escape attempts. For now the tank is sealed.

Thanks dude! I found that rock in my front yard and stuck it in there. I think it looks pretty cool, lol.

Thanks man. Post some pictures of yours, I wanna see!
I almost did have a heart attack. Good thing he didn't jump, his tank is a good 4 feet off the ground, lol.
I'm pretty sure that plant is codonanthe serrulata. Maybe Antone can say for sure, I got it from him.

At first my little guy didn't call, he would just puff up and make sounds like he was coughing. He eventually started though, I never played him any recorded calls either. I'd just give them time, hopefully they'll call for you.
I usually mist once a day at a random time. I used to mist twice a day but the vivs were all soaked so I cut down. Also are you positive that they are males?

i would assume they are males as i would see body language and a chi -chi noise while chasing another basti doing the same thing .
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 AM

I love their call too, it's different than a lot of the other frogs.
I've seen some female bastis for sale in the classifieds, you might want to check there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflight View Post
Mine would call to each other and then wrestle, so I separated them and have not heard calling since. I hope to find a female soon(it would help if I was more active at looking) I absolutely love the sound of their call.
Thanks Adam!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
those are some nice bstis you have there luis! nice job on the tank too.
Thanks sucks man! I'm sorry you lost a frog.
I guess you live and learn, I made the same mistake with my first frogs. I had a pair of green-leg lamasi and I had a plexiglass door on their vert. It warped from the heat/moisture and they got out, I never saw them again. Now I ONLY use glass for tanks.
Pums are definitely some of my favorite frogs, hopefully you can get another soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman25 View Post
well sad news , and its funny you all were stating about frogs escaping / what did i learn today ? do not use *(^*( plexiglASS AS A TANK LID CAUSE IT SUCKS !!sorry for screamin , came home from work today and my hex tank with 2 bastis One known male , one unsure .. well the lid fell inward . the only thing i can guess is warpage from heat from the light . well one fro was still in tank and the other dried up . I quickly srayed the unknown frog down and I got leg twitching then nothing . Its messed up what makes a grown man teariewd eyed . It wasnt the loss of a frog or the loss of money . Its the fact the frogs depend on us and i let it down . tomarrow ... go to glass shop and pay to have one cut . Learn from the mistakes i guess ,. still sucks that frog would come to the front to look at me when i was close . Pums def. have a awesome personality ..... "white pepper " you will be missed ;(
Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Catman, that really sucks. I used plexi on top of my first viv. It was setup for a year before it started to warp. Luckily, I'm a procrastinator and hadn't gotten any frogs yet.
I have had frogs escape but have been fortunate enough to catch them before major disaster.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM

What are those cool looking bowl-shaped "rocks"?

BTW - gorgeous frogs.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM

Really loving this tank Louis, particularly the arrangement in the front with the brazil nut spill, which has been said before.

The bastis are damn stunning mate, and glad you caught the little bugger before he got too far, whered he get out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO View Post

BTW - gorgeous frogs.
I think you are referring to the nut pods in the front?

Richie
Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM

the tank looks great. great color on that red basti! good luck.

darklands, bastimentos, yellow belly, blue jeans, other pums, p. klemmeri, p. robertmertensi
Old 07-21-2010, 07:59 PM

Thank you John! I can see the red guy all the way across the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcadoo View Post
the tank looks great. great color on that red basti! good luck.
Thanks Jim! Those are called "jungle pods". You can get them from BlackJungle. If you use them I suggest keeping them on the dry side. If they are constantly wet they get slimy and don't look as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO View Post

BTW - gorgeous frogs.
Thanks a lot Richie!

I have the stock Exo-terra top on the tank and there are holes(I slid the little plastic thing so they are covered now) for some electric cables to exit the tank, I think that's where he got out. I meant to go get a new top yesterday but got caught up chauffeuring my brother around because his license expired, lol. On my way to Lowes in a bit though.

I bought the pods as jungle pods but I've seen them called nut pods as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ch13 View Post
Really loving this tank Louis, particularly the arrangement in the front with the brazil nut spill, which has been said before.

The bastis are damn stunning mate, and glad you caught the little bugger before he got too far, whered he get out?

I think you are referring to the nut pods in the front?

Richie

Last edited by edwing206; 07-21-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Ahh I see..

All those little supposed beneficial gizmos the Exos have seem to be more trouble than they are worth

Keep up the good work mate.

Richie
Old 07-22-2010, 12:38 AM

Haha that's so true.