Dendroboard banner

New to the Forum - Told to post photos

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sports_doc 
#1 ·
I introduced myself on another thread and wanted to post some photos here of my latest purchase. I bought a sexed pair of Costa Rican Auratus from Patrick Nabors a couple of weeks ago. They are awesome and to my great surprise and delight, they produced a clutch of eggs two days ago! Forgive the iPhone photos. I'm new at uploading and posting photos and I'm not much of a photographer.

Here's the male.
Frog Amphibian Poison dart frog Toad Organism

And the female.
Amphibian Frog Toad Oriental fire-bellied toad

And, tada! Here are the eggs. It's been two days and I think most of them are good. One has a light spot on the top, which looks suspicious. I've bred azureus and raised several to sub-adults. The good azureus eggs have always been entirely black from the start. The auratus eggs looked bicolor at the beginning - black on one side and brownish on the other. I had never seen an auratus clutch before. Is this normal?

Insect Pest Petri dish Cuisine

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm really excited. I haven't had any tads in over a year. I was stunned that there were 12 eggs because my azureus never layed more than five.

I'll post photos as they develop. That one egg is bad for sure, but I looked at the others under a hand lens and I saw the beginnings of an embryo on each one. I don't want to count my froglets before their hatched :D, but if all their clutches are that large, I could be overrun with auratus in the fall!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.