Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 AM

Default Divided tanks?

Hello, I was looking for some advice on my tank ideas. I was looking to put together a 55 gallon tank with 4 sections for all my thumbnails and my bumblebee toads. I was wondering, if i sectioned them off with plexiglass if I can put wild caught bumblebee toads in the larger section (about 15 gallon)? I can use silicon to seal any cracks, but i was wondering if any pathogen transfer would occur to my captive bred frogs. If it is a problem I will keep them in a smaller tank off to the side and save that space for some other cb thumbnail. Thanks for advice.

-Nick
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Divided tanks?

putting the WC frogs in quarantine and getting fecals done are probably the best way to go. Parasites may be transferred and remain alive for quite a while in the substrate. Dr. Fry is probably your best choice.

Join Chi-town froggers in facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?...171181530&ap=1
Old 04-30-2010, 01:07 AM

The person I purchased my toads from did all that already, thank god because that's where I draw the line when it comes to scooping up frog crap and paying money to send it in a lab. I don't think it's useless i just choose not to. I don't trust all the people at the reptile show though, so they may have lied when I asked that question. I also am wondering what you meant about the substrate because the each section has its own substrate.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 AM
TWI/ASN

dividing a 55 into 4 sections might be a little tight, i woudl only split it in half.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html
Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 AM
TWI/ASN

Different people may feel differently about this, but I personally would give the bumblebee toads their own space since they come from a totally different area than darts and are wild caught. If it were me, I would be alright with a few different thumbs from the same breeder (since there is probably a lesser chance they would transfer pathogens to each other if they were from the same breeder, depending on the way the breeder keeps his/her frogs) in the same divided viv. I personally have a 55 gallon split in half and on one half I have a pair of leucs and on the other half I have a breeding pair of their offspring that I held back. Assuming you are using a standard 55 gallon aquarium tank as a viv, I will say from my experience dividing mine it can be very tough to seal the gap near the top because of the way that black rim sticks out. With mine, there is about 1/4" gap along the top and one of my males always climbs over to the other side to have a calling battle with the other. If my leuc can fit through a crack, I know a thumbnail could easily get through one much smaller, so be sure to fill in all gaps and make sure the plexiglass divider sits evenly with the top so there are no cracks. BTW, I think splitting it into 2 or 3 might be better than 4 sections.
Bryan
Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 AM

I try to keep a pair of thumbs for every ten gallons that's why I said 4. I honestly think very large vivs for thumbs are a waste of time for me because I enjoy seeing them and I don't have room for a huge tank for just a pair of thumbs with all the frogs I have. I hear all the time ten gallons is fine, so its 13.75 gallons a section if I do my measurements right. That is past the 5 gallon per frog standard. That is closer to like a 15 gallon section for each pair, so it should be fine for them. Anyway, I have decided to move my group of toads into a 20 gallon long vivarium instead. Thank you for the advice.

-Nick