Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Updated 110gal

Hi guys,

Here are some updated pics of my tank. Am set to order a group of 7 blue dart frogs soon and house them here!

Front pic

Upper Left Corner

Upper Right Corner

Tillies at the Center

bluetip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2005, 07:35 AM

sure will appreciate your comments...I can't seem to make more hiding spaces and more floor area!

thanks,

bing
Old 04-16-2005, 12:57 PM

Cool.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:20 PM

Looks great!
Old 04-16-2005, 06:37 PM

what's the plant in the lower right hand corner of both the first and second pic? looks like it's gonna be some kind of ground cover. i really like that one.

Like art + design?
www.simplyadammann.com
Old 04-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
themann42 Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:37 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what's the plant in the lower right hand corner of both the first and second pic? looks like it's gonna be some kind of ground cover. i really like that one.

It's creeping fig- at least that was what the lady from the shop told me. I'm not hoping it would only crawl on the ground. I'm hoping one day it will cover all the walls!

Thanks,

bing
Old 04-18-2005, 05:05 AM

I love the way you planted the tillandsias, it looks like they are a writhing mass of some strange creature! Beautiful!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:16 AM

You sure 7 azereus would have enough room in there? I doubt they would climb high at all. And not enough room would mean lots of fighting with the species. Have you considered a thumb for the tank? Looks like a perfect habitat for an arboreal species.

Luke
1.0.3 D. ventrimaculatus
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Cristobal"
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Rio Branco"

1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.4 Hymenochirus boettgeri
Old 04-18-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Darks!de Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You sure 7 azereus would have enough room in there? I doubt they would climb high at all. And not enough room would mean lots of fighting with the species. Have you considered a thumb for the tank? Looks like a perfect habitat for an arboreal species.

Luke
How much floor area do you think I'll need for 7 Azureus? I would want thumbs but being a novice, I'm quite afraid I won't be able to hack keeping thumbs.

Got any arboreals that you suggest?

I don't mind setting up another 75g for the 7 Azureus...What do you think?

thanks,

Bing
Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 PM

Vents, or Leucs. but who cares whatever you put in there will be awesome. That viv is awesome, is it your first.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:54 PM

The tank looks beautiful, just don't get heartbroken if the tillandsia's die. I've had them last a couple months in my tanks but they've always ended up rotting. I think they need a decent amount of air movement to thrive.
Maybe in 110 gallon tank they will fair better.

-Tad
Old 04-18-2005, 02:29 PM

Thanks guys,

It's actually my first tank. The Tillandsias in tank have actually been there since october...and the ionantha actually has started blooming and has produced pups...

Now I'm actually scared if there is room for 7 azureus...Do you think a big dart / thumbnail would be a good mix? Would they even breed given the difference in size?

Thanks,

Bing
Old 04-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Well from the pic it is hard to tell how much ground room there actually is. But azureus are usually better off kept in groups of 2 or 3, there might be problems if there are seven of them in a small area. They would also not use the upper 3/4 of the tank, which i think would be a waste.

Mixing species is not so easy, especially for a first tank, and generally frowned upon. Thumbs and a terrestrial frog wouldn't breed, but there could still be other problems.

A large group of vents or imitators would be awesome in there, using the entire tank. I think that would be your best bet.

Luke
1.0.3 D. ventrimaculatus
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Cristobal"
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Rio Branco"

1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.4 Hymenochirus boettgeri
Old 04-18-2005, 03:33 PM

Great looking tank! Like Darkside said you might want to reconsider how many Azureus you will be adding. 2-3 sounds appropriate as tics and Az tend to be very territorial and will fight. You might want to look into something that does alittle better in groups. Maybe leucs or Red galacs.

please keep posting pics as the tank continues to grow in.

Matt
Old 04-18-2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Darks!de Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:18 pm Post subject:

Well from the pic it is hard to tell how much ground room there actually is. But azureus are usually better off kept in groups of 2 or 3, there might be problems if there are seven of them in a small area. They would also not use the upper 3/4 of the tank, which i think would be a waste.

Mixing species is not so easy, especially for a first tank, and generally frowned upon. Thumbs and a terrestrial frog wouldn't breed, but there could still be other problems.

A large group of vents or imitators would be awesome in there, using the entire tank. I think that would be your best bet.

Luke
The floor area is a standard 50gallon tank but the tank is double the height. I suppose with the tree trunk on the right, I have a clean 25gallon worth of floor space.

I kind of don't feel too comfortable mixing as well as I understand the pitfalls but I've got quite a dilemma...living in a country as mine (Philippines), darts aren't exactly as easy to get and Mark Pepper of Understory Enterprises has been kind enough to assist me in this endeavor. Given the extra effort and expense (export fees, paperwork and minimum order- as I live half way across the globe), I'm trying to make a frog order that I would like to be able to maximize and really enjoy.

Here's a list of what I can get my hands on:

azureus
powderblue tinctorius
cobalt tinctorius
turquoise and bronze auratus
green and black auratus
reticulated auratus
reticulatus
ventrimaculatus
terribilis

There are two conditions for me:
1. I just gotta have Azureus.
2. I gotta have at least a pair of whatever species that I intend to import.

I'm open to ordering another species I just don't know what yet. I don't mind setting up another tank for another species as I do enjoying making vivs.

Maybe you guys can help me out.

Are thumbnails really that tough to care for? I would have gone the extra mile if I could get amazonicus, I just like the color combination despite the fact that a lot have also said that they are still the same species. Also, from all that I've read, there has really been an all out support for vents. Everyone who's cared for them seems to like them very much...

My final order is still up in the air. I have till June to decide my final order. So if you guys got any ideas and suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

bing
Old 04-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Bing,

Mint Terribilis do very well in groups, you could always put a group of those in your 110g and pick up a pair of Az to put in to a smaller tank. In my experience Mints are very bold frogs and would probably do very well in that tank.

HTH,

Matt
Old 04-18-2005, 04:58 PM

Hi Matt,

I will consider that...I've actually tried considering terribilis for a moment but it just doesn't catch my interest so much...I guess its just a personal preference kind of thing.

Thanks,

Bing