Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 10:33 PM

Default 30 hex fogging up

the glass on my 30g hex is constantly fogging up. It is mostly just the bottom half, but in the mourning the entire tank fogs up. The top is an all glass (except for the 2 1/2" of plastic at the back. How can i fix this problem, i assume it is from not enough ventilation/air circulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2005, 11:02 PM

Well, most likely what is happening is that the temperature at the bottom of the vivarium and all the vivarium at night is cooling to the dew point temperature. Lack of air circulation is a contributing factor, but one that is difficult to overcome without reducing the humidity in the process. Extra screen top will help with evaporation allowing water to escape, but maybe not fast enough to keep the condensation from forming on the glass especially under lower temperatures where the evaporation rate is slower. At any rate, I have found that unplugging the water feature at night keeps the glass from forming condensation over night while still keeping the humidity high. Somebody posted that they have an aquarium algae magnetic cleaner in their vivarium to knock off the condensation without having to get into the vivarium.

Interesting info here:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/meteorology/temp-dewpoint/
Old 04-10-2005, 11:10 PM

well, the water feature idea won't work: i don't have one, but was planning on adding one so maybe i'll hold off. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Old 04-10-2005, 11:12 PM

would adding a heating pad at the bottom help? I don't have one as the tank stays warm enough most of the time, but i could add one without it getting to warm.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrutger
would adding a heating pad at the bottom help? I don't have one as the tank stays warm enough most of the time, but i could add one without it getting to warm.
That is exactly what you don't want to do. If you heat up the terrarium from the bottom, you will cause evaporation from the substrate, making the humidity/dew point higher. If you're glass temp is higher than the dewpoint, it shouldn't get much condensation...a warmer room temp or cooler terrarium temp may help.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:45 AM

but wouldn't the heating pad heat the glass too? especially if i placed it near the front glass?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:19 AM

Yes, but not as much as the substrate and water in the bottom.
Think of the inside of you're tank as the outside of a glass of water.
If the water in the glass (air outside of the tank) is below the dewpoint, you will have condensation.
Maybee as an experiment you could turn up you're room heat to be equal or close to what the temp in the viv is at night.
I use a heating pad under one of my day gecko tanks to provide both heat and condensation (for drinking) when the heat mat is on, the glass gets alot of condensation.
You could try adding some screen section towards the front of the glass, but if the tank is very tall, with lots of undergrowth, that still may not help.
An expensive option that would probably work very well is to double pane you're viv glass.
The best way would be to equalize the room/viv temps, but it's not easy to keep a viv much cooler than room temp...so in most cases it's just a fact of life.
If you're up for purchasing or building a new tank, you could get a model with front ventilation, as in the new FCA acrylic vivs, or a design like this:
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewt ... entilation
Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 AM

A heating pad definately will cause a lot more condensation on the glass. Also, if your temps are already at a good place, the heating pad will raise them. Plus, with summer coming, your room temp may get a little warmer, so a pad will make it even more higher.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:10 PM

I don't want to change the temp of the room too much; it's in my bedroom. The glass at the top 1/3 is usually clear by the end of the day due to the heat given off from the light. I'll try turning the heat up in my room, but any other sugestions would be great!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:19 PM

I have a 30 gal hex with a false bottom and waterfeature. I have a full screen top and a fan blowing at an angle just to move the air. When the fan is on there is no condensation. When the fan is off lots of condensation. Humidity is almost always 100%.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 PM

hmm. How often do you mist? I where did you get the top?