Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Default 30 Gallon Leuc tank complete w/ pics & Construction Jour

Well here it is my first display tank. I started this project back in Feb. and the tank went online on March 28th. If your interested in how the tank was constructed I have put together a construction journal for everyone to check out. Beware there are alot of pics so please give everything a chance to load.

Construction Journal:
http://www.outlawvizslas.com/construction/30gallon.htm

Specs:
Lighting: JBJ 192watt PC 6500k
Tank: 30 gallon w/ stand drilled for waterfall and drainage to 10 gallon sump, False bottom, Leca, and Sphagnum moss, Cork background w/ great stuff and cocofiber fill in, with 3 nozzle misting system.
Plants: The Mindís Eye & Peace of the Tropics
Frogs: Leuc colony

I do have construction pics that I will add later on, just have not had time to sort through them. Plus I need to do a write up on the construction process.

-Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Default Awesome Job Matt!!!

The pictures don't do this tank justice. Stopped over at his house last night to take a look at it and I we could say was WOW!

I think you will have some happy frogs in that tank!

Melis
Old 03-28-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Cool

Wow beach front property and a mountain view! Sweet tank. When I die, I wanna come back as one of your leucs.
Dave

Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 PM

I really like your tank and frogs a lot!

How did you form the pool? It looks like you have used glass, but my eyes are probably deceiving me.

C
Old 03-28-2005, 07:40 PM

Thanks all!! Melissa is right the pics just dont do this tank justice. I finished everything at 4:30am on Sat, so i certianly did not have the proper lighting for taking pics.

Fini,
I'll be posting construction pics later, but the pool was formed useing two pieces of glass inserted at an angle siliconed in and drilled the back of the tank for drainage of the pool. River pebbles were added to finish off the look. One thing i will point out....if you dont get the angles exactly the same and your drainage hole is to high it will flood to one side or the other. so make sure you install drainage holes to either side of the pool area or you'll quickly flood the tank.

Dave,
As long as you come back as a male leuc your more than welcome to join club med
Old 03-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Are you using a cannister filter to plumb your water feature?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:28 AM

Where did you get your leucs?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 PM

Ridge,

I have a 10 gallon sump installed under the tank in the stand with a single minijet pump on a return line into the tank. The tank is drilled for a return line that gravity feeds back to the sump....very simple system.

Markamo,
pm me and i'll discuss that with you.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:39 PM

Nice tank Matt! I was wondering what happened to you. Looks like you've been busy.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM

This viv is very different from most. It includes alot of cool features. Like the raised Coco hut, never seen that but i bet leucs love it. The Pleuro orchid (full spelling unknown), did you get that from bob. I ment to get one of those, they are really cool little plants. I see the Neorogelia Paciflora, same plant thats in my sig. At first these were my least favorite broms i had, but after a while they really grew on me. The purplish spots and bright green really look cool together. Cork Curl waterfall is also cool.
Good job, I wonder if the raised hut could induce breeding, me and Zach are baffled by our leucs unwillingness to breed. If you get a moment cut up my new sig for me and this time i will save it so i can have it forever.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:46 PM

All I have to say is OH MY! :shock: that is so awesome. You should put up a construction journal so all of us (well those of us who are still clueless about elaborate setups) may learn how to build such an incredible vivarium. I want one. Just out of curiosity, how many leucs are you housing in it?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:43 PM

Hope this fits the bill....one 30 gallon construction journal:

http://www.outlawvizslas.com/construction/30gallon.htm

Warning to dial up users...there are alot of pics so please be patient with the load times.

Jace,

Dont know what to tell you about getting your leucs to breed...I have to say its not in the location of the coco hut :wink:

Matt
Old 04-19-2005, 05:45 PM

Leucs do better in a large cage. They will breed in a 10 gallon, but sporadically. Mine cease breeding activity if the temp gets close to 80. Aj Calisi actually keeps his in a green house.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 PM

192W, Wow! What do the temps range in there?
Bad Egg (?) EG&G
Old 04-19-2005, 07:43 PM

With the periodic misting, and water feature plus the fans running on the light fixture the tank hasnt seen anything higher than 79

That might sound like alot of light but its not really. Infact I only run both 96 watt bulbs for about 6 hrs together to simulate dawn and dusk. The JBJ light fixture used to be on my Saltwater tank and has fans installed in it. Being several inches off the main glass and with the amount of air the fans move heat has never been an issue.