Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 01:22 AM

Default building a 28-gal bow *updated*

here's an update......this is what the finished product looks like with all the plants in curteousy of peace of the tropics....now all i need is frogs! very happy with the way it came out though...any thoughts you guys have or advice for types of frogs to put in????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 AM

wow, nice. What frogs you thinking of putting in there?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:39 AM

i haven't really thought about it yet haha...im so poor right now it's gonna be a while before i can get some. i was thinking of getting some leucs and putting them in cause i really enjoy them....any suggestions?

Old 02-08-2005, 01:43 AM

Definatly leucs or some larger frog that would use the space. I would save up and go with Regina tincs or something along those lines, but I have a thing for those frogs lol. I love my leucs, they're always active and really fun to watch. You might consider putting some Jewel Orchids or Orchids in general in the tank, they'd look really good in there. But definatly some sory of frog that will use the space you give them! (tank needs more green!!!)
Old 02-08-2005, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettC
Definatly leucs or some larger frog that would use the space. I would save up and go with Regina tincs or something along those lines, but I have a thing for those frogs lol. I love my leucs, they're always active and really fun to watch. You might consider putting some Jewel Orchids or Orchids in general in the tank, they'd look really good in there. But definatly some sory of frog that will use the space you give them! (tank needs more green!!!)
haha yeah i know i said a bove that im waiting for my plants to come still, i just finished the tank tonite. how many tincs could fit in a tank like this? 3?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:49 AM

I wouldn't put more than 2 of the regina's in, and no more than 3 of the "smaller" tincs. Don't forget, tincs are VERY territorial and I'd put in a 2.1 group if you can help it.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:18 PM

here's another pic....now it's completely done except for the plants that are coming. ill post another pic when i finish that.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:46 PM

How did you make your stream bed? Your tank is beautiful!!! Thanks! Niki
Old 02-08-2005, 06:51 PM

i got a piece of lace rock from a fish store.....then put it in the corner and sealed it's sides with black polyurethane foam and shaved all all the extra....the waterfall is elevated a little..there's some coir matting underneath it so it's higher than the stream. i ran the waterfall to see where the water would come out. i went to home depot and bought what is actually a pond liner patch....but it was 6" by 15" which was all i needed. i put that underneath where the water trickled down and then built up on both sides of the liner some more of the black foam to make banks. i also put some at the base of the waterfall so none of the water can get in behind it. the first half of the streambed is under one piece of coir matting so that the elevation continues to move downward. then i just put some gravel in the bed...some nice rocks i found at an aquarium store...and led it down into a pond at the base. the water just keeps recirculating. definitely a project, but im really really happy with how it came out!
Old 02-08-2005, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the info! I have been trying to figure out how to make one. I am not very creative when it comes to doing things like this. Your tank is definitely worth whatever time it took you to build it. It is awesome!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:03 PM

One other question if you don't mind. Is the LECA all under the false bottom or did you use screen or something to keep it just on the sides? And for the pond area- how do you keep the substate out of the water and out from under the false bottom. Sorry- I think this is more than one question. Thanks! Niki
Old 02-08-2005, 07:08 PM

yes, clay pellets are in the bottom even tho there are pvc spacers holding it up.....i just like the idea of extra support if the ground gets too heavy. there is a mesh on top of the eggcrate to keep the soil from falling through. in the pond....there is gravel pushed to the sides underneath the eggcrate to hold back the LECA pellets...then some river stones added to make it look nice and finished. just little aquarium gravel is fine to hold it all back...and it's nice to have on the bottom of the pond.....i don't want a deep pond cause frogs tend to drown if u do IMO
Old 02-08-2005, 07:14 PM

If the pump you are using is submersible did you put it inside something- such as a box - or just pile the clay pellets around it? Thanks! Niki
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 PM

it's just in there....so eventually it could just crap out.....but oh well. it's just a water pump, no filter, so im not toooo concernced that it's going to die anytime soon.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:38 PM

Thanks so much for answering all of my newbie questions. I think I am ready to start on my tank now. These were just a few of the things I was having a hard time figuring out. Thanks again!!!! Niki
Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 PM

haha no problem at all, im a noob too this was my 2nd tank ever....makes the first look like a pile of crap
Old 02-08-2005, 09:39 PM

Looking good!! Post pics when you get frogs.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:17 AM

update pix at the top of the finished tank