Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 06:49 AM

Default My new viv.

Here's my first attempt at a viv since I found Dendroboard. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 AM

Looks great! What are you keeping in there? It maybe just the pic but it doesn't look like there is a lot of ground space. If that is the case add more places to hop, perch, crawl. Just my 2 cents, but it looks great to me!

Mike
Old 02-01-2005, 01:53 PM

What size tank is it? It looks like a great set up for Imitators.
But a little more ground area wouldn't hurt. Maybe a piece of drift wood covered with Java Moss.

Tim

Old 02-01-2005, 05:22 PM

Thanks! I'm so glad you said imitators because that is exactly what I intend on getting. It is a standard 10 gallon tank. The log that looks like it might be in the back is actually in the middle and in the front and there is a lot of dry floor space with leaves behind it. Since they climb a lot I thought the imitators would be okay with all the side walls as climbable space and both sides of the log too. Given that information do you think that it will work? I also tried to leave enough floor space to get some springtails established in there as well but we'll see since I seem to have picked up the new lemming variety who all seem intent on jumping into the water features en masse. One final question: where is the best place to get some imitators? I'd prefer local (Seattle area) to avoid the stress of shipping. Thanks again, -Ben
Old 02-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Mod

One thing to be aware of, if that is grapewood, it will disintegrate quickly in that kind of situation. Other than that it looks nice.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:51 AM

It's not grape wood it's "African bog log". I've used it completely submerged long term in an aquarium without any substantial degeneration. It does turn the water a tea color though.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Seattle D. imitators.

I'd contact Phil Tan (http://www.fantasticus.net) or Jon Werner (pm him or email him).

I just bought some from Phil and they're already calling like crazy.

Both guys are in the Seattle/Tacoma area.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:42 PM

Thanks Joe I sent an email to Jon, if he doesn't have anything I'll give Phil a try.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 PM

That's a really beautiful viv!

Do you have a pump to circulate the water? If so, how did you install it?

-John
Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 PM

Try to attend a WADS meeting. Your lucky to live in Wa as there are lots of experienced froogers to help you get started.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:09 PM

John,
I have a Duetto pump for circulation. They're pretty low output so it probably wouldn't work for moving water much higher but it does fine here. I also used a splitter and small drip irrigation tubing to make the water drip off the log and down the back wall in six different spots. All the tubes give a slow trickle or drip which is what I wanted and the moss seems to like it too. The pump, splitter and tubing are hidden in the back. I tried to hide them but not make them inaccessible for when it comes time to clean or replace them. The pump cord comes out the top and is pretty well hidden in a crevice on one edge and is covered with some creeping fig. I tried a whole bunch of new stuff while making this viv and I am pretty pleased with the outcome. So I guess the lesson I learned was don't be afraid to go to the hardware store and try something new.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:31 AM

I really like this tank. Some tanks stand out and some dont, this one does. bjdwa I know what you mean about " the lesson I learned was don't be afraid to go to the hardware store and try something new." I have become intimidated and stressed out over thinking about trying to find all the right parts ect that people use and talk about. But after you get out there and try looking for them and read up enough you can find most of it at on place like lowes. And experimenting is also good. There are alot of people all doing slightkly different things to make what they have work for them.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:16 PM

This is going to sound really dumb, but I haven't been able to find connections to attach aquarium pumps (like the Duetto) to drip irrigation tubing. Can you give any recommendations?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:17 PM

also, what sort of splitter did you use? I've spent some time in hardware stores but, unfortunately, paralysis by analysis took hold. I'm stuck with a LECA bottom and no water feature... something I don't particularly care for.

-John
Old 02-04-2005, 04:29 AM

John,
first the Duetto pump I have has a turnable flow director that pops right off to expose a standard male hose adapter which makes it a lot more simple. The size of this adapter is pretty standard but I took the pump to be sure I got the correct size of tubing anyway. I went to Lowe's Hardware and went to their plumbing isle. They had lots of drip irrigation and automatic sprinkler accessories there. I bought tubing that fits into the outflow port of my pump and then I found a splitter that is closely resembles a hockey puck with a threaded hole in one face. On the side of the splitter are six small, pointy male hose adapters with valves (to control flow from each small tube). I bought a coupler (a 2 inch long pipe that is threaded at one end and is tapered at the other) that screwed into the splitter and left the tapered side exposed onto which you slip your tubing from the outflow port of the pump. Then the standard black drip system tubing which they sell in fifty foot coils for a couple dollars was placed onto each small hose adapter and cut to the desired length. The image below is a slightly different version of the same general idea. I looked around online but couldn't find photos of the exact products I used. I hope it helps anyway. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:00 PM

Thanks very much! I'll take a trip down to the hardware store and see what I can come up with!

-John