Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 06:16 AM

Default My first vivarium need some comment!

Well this is my first vivarium. Ive kept over frogs like mantellas but never in a planted tank. Well as you can see there are no live plants yet. I was hoping for some suggestions on what kind of plants to use and where to put them. Also any other suggestions would be helpful. I plan to add a some frogs later on when everything is running well and stable. Also im not sure how many frogs i can put in it. Its a 45 gallons tall tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 06:48 AM

I think it looks good. One question though, what type of wood is the wood chips? If it is pine, cedar, etc, I would get rid of it, as they leach toxins. Other than that, I love it,

Ed Parker
Old 01-29-2005, 06:57 AM

The chips are EXO-terra jungle earth so i would assume they are safe since they are made for plants and animals.

Also does anyone know where to find dedrobates in western canada?

Old 01-29-2005, 01:07 PM

It looks good! But it looks a bit dim. What lights are you using? Also the vine that's not one of the heated vines is it? If not, I like it. As for specific plants, it's a personal preference but keep in mind everything you put in there will be in optimum growing conditions so they will grow fast. By this I mean select plants that will not out grow the viv too soon. You could talk to the folks at http://www.peaceofthetropics.com for suggestions I've heard nothing but good things from them.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old 01-29-2005, 06:24 PM

Its not a heated vine, i never even knew they made those also. Its dim because only the flourecent lights was on there 2 power compacts that werent put in yet. Thanks for the comments keep em coming. Also ill check out that site you said.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:23 PM

nice viv, i would personally put a few more tropica plant on the right, maybe a nice brom
Old 02-11-2005, 07:54 PM

Here are some updated pics. Looking for comments suggestions. What should i attach to the back wall. Somthing above the water fall and around.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Here are some updated pics. Looking for comments suggestions. What should i attach to the back wall. Somthing above the water fall and around.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:01 PM

Looks awesome. You should attach some kind of creeping plant back there and have it spread along the bark chips, it would hold to them well.

Luke
1.0.3 D. ventrimaculatus
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Cristobal"
1.0.1 D. pumilio "Rio Branco"

1.0.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.4 Hymenochirus boettgeri
Old 02-12-2005, 02:51 AM

I think it looks FANTASTIC. I really like the orchid. As for something above the waterfall, I would recommend placing some Java Moss at the top of the waterfall where it stays damp all the time. If conditions are right, it will spread nicely. Other vining plants would work, like ficus pumila, but will tend to overgrow in a hurry. Cissus amazonicus is a neat vine that might do well back there. I know that andersonii85 sells cuttings of that stuff at a great price from time to time (that's how I got mine).

Other than that, just remember that everything will grow in quickly in that tank . . . faster than you can imagine!

Great tank. Enjoy!
Old 02-12-2005, 03:41 AM

looks nice! What sps of orchid is that?
Old 02-12-2005, 05:07 AM

its a sherry baby orchid. Oncidium somthing, i cant remember the name exactly. I got a real real good price on it.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:43 PM

Very nice and out of the ordinary. I think your choice of substrate for the background gives a very natural look. Now, get that background mounted with plants!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:43 PM

how did you do that water feature?

i like the woodchip background. i hope you don't mind if i rip off your idea...
Old 02-12-2005, 11:49 PM

The water feature was done by sectioning off the back corner of the tank with a piece of acrylic, then a whole was drilled in it for a rubber tub which runs down to the pump in the false bottom, then Foam was put over the back and a little tub was placed at the top of the water fall. Then i formed the fall and covered it with silicon then pured sand on it. 8) Feel free to rip of any idea you want.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:13 AM

I like how you put your brom in the cork bark like that - I might have to do that in mine.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:15 AM

It is a hybrid, I have only seen it labeled as Sherry Baby, when in bloom it has a slight chocolate fragrance.