Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Excited about first Terrarium

I'm really excited about my first terrarium. After researching what seems like forever, I created my first one. The stipulations from my wife were that it was low maintenance and didn't stink and that it couldn't be too large.

I went with a 30 Gal Tall Hex. I put in a false bottom that angles toward the front so you cannot see the egg crate. Then I created a false back by taking eggcrate and spraying great stuff into it. After it was dry I siliconed, using brown silicon, a peat moss and coco husk mixture. I then fitted it on top of the false bottom and siliconed it to the sides. I used 5/8 tubing and a commercial waterfall pump to create a small waterfall on one side and a water wall on the other. I filled the bottom with polished aquarium gravel then put a peat moss and coco husk substrate. I then put in decorative rocks for a small stream. It was planted with various plants from Black Jungle, Petco, and Wal mart. There are two orchids in there, one Phalenoposis sp? which I don't think will survive and a species specifically designed for wet substrates. Through the false back I put an underwater heater, the waterfall pump and a canister like filter. All areas are accessible for maintenance and everything is on a timer. The only thing I add about once a week is water. I figured out that the actual living area is about the size of a 15 Gal. I am going to put two Azureus in there soon. It has been running for two months now with no problems.
[img]http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10861/normal_cover.JPG
[/img]
[img]http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10861/normal_Front1.JPG
[/img]
[img]http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10861/normal_Top1.JPG
[/img]
[img]http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10861/normal_Top2.JPG
[/img]
[img]http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10861/normal_Topback.JPG
[/img]

I couldn't seem to get the images here. They are in my Album. Can somebody insert them please. Also could you tell me how to insert images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2005, 04:32 PM

Cory, here are your pictures.

Looks nice~
Richard
Old 01-27-2005, 06:36 PM

I really like the fact that you showed that a good background can be made using Great Stuff without spraying it all in the viv. Good show

Old 01-27-2005, 07:14 PM

Looks really cool.

One question though, in the back of the tank where the pump is at, have you built up the background enough so that none of your frogs can get in there?

Wouldn't want that.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:18 PM

Default background height

As you can see from the pictures, I just kept adding a silicon layer to the top of the background until it pressed against the cover, so frogs or insects can't get behind the background.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:55 AM

I'm thinkign about doing a 30 as well and ure tank has really sparked me. THe only problem is that the hexs are so expensive for there size :cry:
Old 01-28-2005, 05:55 PM

Default d

That pump enclosure looks semi-dangerous for frogs. I think you'd be surprised at what they can fit into. Is it possible to make a little tight fitting door for the top of this pump compartment out of the great stuff that fits with very little room all the way around it?

That would be the first thing I would do. Other than that, it looks good! I've always like the little hex tanks, but I have never really worked with one.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:07 PM

Cory- I was wondering- what are the dimensions of your tank? I have a hex that I think might be 30 gal, but I am not positive. Thanks. Niki
Old 01-28-2005, 09:03 PM

I love vivs in hex tanks, there that much coooooooler
Old 01-30-2005, 02:46 AM

In my left back corner i have something similar to your pump set up. What i did was take a tupper-ware lid, a big flat one, and cut just one corner for the hose to come out. It works well. At first I was afraid they would wiggel underneath and get stuck so i put gravel over the small gap remaining and its "frog tight." One of my frog loves it back there and unless he finds himself a frog size backhoe im not worried anymore.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

looks good, but I would also watch how that pump is setup.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Default New Frogs

I finally got Thomas at Pumilio.com to deliver my two new Azureus. There is one fine spotted and one large spotted. Luckily Thomas lives in San Diego with me so I saved shipping. The two are doing great and are active hunters. I have not had any problems with them being able to get into the pump area. One thing that my picture of the vivarium doesn't show is a membrane on the lid that seals against the background. It would take a large frog to push through it. Here are some pictures. I'm working on better ones.