Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 05:05 PM

Default 15G high vert. complements appreciated

Hey,
Here's some pics of a new 15g high that im making. The problem with it is that it looks boring so i thought of adding some more plants but dont know what to add any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 05:08 PM

I think that it would look good with java moss. I also like creeping fig to grow up the background. Sure you have to keep it trimmed, but I like it. Looks good so far though. What are you planning to keep in it?

-Shelley
Old 01-24-2005, 05:10 PM

Maybe something (viney) growing up the back and replace the hollow log with an interesting rock. Put in some ground cover and add more light.

I love the broms on you mounted!!

Your tank is great and I love ther vert custom door.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:57 PM

snmreptiles - i would love to try some creeping fig. but the last time i tried it out it died in like 2 days so i havent attempt to try it agian. if you can give me some pointers on it and ill give it another shot. im not sure what im going to place in it yet but im thinking about a tinc.

kleinhanz - Thanks, i got the big brom from HD and i found two little ones growing from the sides so i took them off and im know attaching them to the back wall. For the vert door i made them out of plexi glass and they still havent warped yet. the idea came from the choco hut.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:37 PM

I think that as long as they have light and water they should be fine. I'm sure others can add more specifics than I can though. We just planted a little bit in the back of one of our 10g verticals and attached some of it upward on the background and let it go. It did take a while but now it is going nuts. I love it! The rest of what we had was still in it's pot that we bought it in and it started to die off even though I was watering it. It got moved around to different places in the house but nothing was helping it. Then I moved it onto our rack with our tanks. I put it on the shelf under light and now it is doing great. You should give it another try. :wink:

-Shelley
Old 01-24-2005, 10:48 PM

Top gun, what and/or where did you get that piece you are using for the front middle glass piece to swing it down. I am using electrical taperight now, but I want something more permanent. Also, did you glue or secure the screen piece in, or does it flip up as well?

Ed Parker
Old 01-25-2005, 01:35 AM

Mantellaprince20 - I got the hinge from a glass canopy that i bought during the summer at petsmart and what i did was cut it in half so i can use them for 2 verts. As for the screen vent i siliconed it to the top of the tank.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:37 AM

I upgraded the tank this after noon and i got some more pictures of the newly improved 15g vert. tell me what you think of it know.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:26 AM

I love the creeping fig in the background!! I personally perfer a heavily planted viv like you have now, the pros are that the frogs are less stressed and I personally believe that they are out more as opposed to hidding in that "one spot". The cons are even if they are out-and-about, they may be more difficult to view.

Also, I think they will use the coco hut more now that it is a little more private.

My vote is that I like the changes you made Isn't building the viv half the fun of this hobby!!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:27 AM

Looks great! Now I say just add some java moss or leaf litter. Good job!

-Shelley
Old 01-25-2005, 01:48 PM

thansk guys i like the way it really came out but several times i wondered if i over planted the tank but at the same time im giving this new frog alot of privacy.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:08 AM

Can you ever really overplant a tank? Other than for viewing purposes, I guess you can. Anyway, it looks good. I have one question for you topgun, where did you get the little white latch thingys to secure the glass from flinging open? I cant find thing like that anywhere, and what are they called?
Thanks,

Ed
Old 01-26-2005, 04:00 AM

Mantellaprince20 - your out of luck because i have the box with me and i ripped of the tag that had the name, but i can help you out. the dont sell them at home depot what so ever, you will find them at lowes were i got them. look were they keep the windows and window screening. thats where i found it.