Dendroboard banner

Mantella Appreciation Thread - Who is keeping them and what species?

38K views 213 replies 49 participants last post by  orchidsnfrogs 
#1 · (Edited)
While there is a core group of africandos on DB that frequently (or infrequently) post about their collections, breeding success, I'm always intrigued to learn about other folks that are maybe less focused on the genus as a whole, but are nonetheless successfully keeping/breeding mantellas. To that end, I thought it would prove an interesting exercise to inventory current DB members to see who is currently working with mantellas, the specific species, and whether or not you have had reproductive success with the species (insert chuckle here..). If possible, please also cite whether they are CB or WC.

Here's to an interesting survey!

To start, I'm currently working with the following species:

Mantella laevigata WC and CB froglet (small breeding group - likely 4.2)

Mantella pulchra WC (2.3 or 3.2)

Mantella madagascariensis (assumed WC) (likely 2.2)

Mantella aurantiaca CB (3 unsexed froglets)

Mantella viridis WC (large group - 6.4 or so)

Mantella crocea CB (5 unsexed froglets)

See less See more
#33 ·
I have nine crocea subadults. I haven't been around enough to listen for calling, but they're not in a permanent tank.

This time, I planted ferns and other stuff in my tanks, not all philodendron based. I did get riccia from the LFS, and I'm going to grow out the clumps so I can use it for dripwalls and along water edge.

#36 ·
Those expectata look great! Remember to keep them dry! Do you have any pics of their permanent setup?

On another note, Devin Edmonds is back from Madagascar and has updated his Mantella site.

Home page
Mantella Frogs

Its definitely worth visiting (or revisiting), especially the new photo gallery that is updated with a ton of shots from his recent trip to Madagascar (and some really gorgeous lime green crocea).

Photo Gallery
http://www.amphibiancare.com/mantella/JALbum/

#37 ·
bad news Ray. Well, not really...

My DIY compact fluorescent fixture's endcaps are very loose and somewhat corroding. I barely nudged it today over my mantella rack, and it started to smoke and flicker a bit!

It looks like I need to buy a new fixture, but I need to figure out how to mount the cheaper Nova Extreme T5 fixtures.

#38 ·
Yeah some nice new pics from Devin. I got my three laevigata btw and they are goin strong and eating the same way. Im rebuilding a pulchra tank so I will get some pics of all up soon....then ima rebuild my madagascariensis tank! someone stop this madness!

#40 ·
I just checked out Devin's page, been awhile since i took a look....And wow i didnt know pulchra came in blue...those are pretty Rad.

I've been a little out of touch on mantella the last year or so, though i do keep an eye out on kingsnake. Does anyone know the import export status of the various mantella species? i've noticed that fewer species are coming in the last year, its like every year 1 or 2 species drop off the list and stop coming in. Are they being restricted or has wild stock been that depleted?

#41 ·
My understanding (and Devin, feel free to chime in and correct me) is that it all depends on the established quotas. In the last year I've seen the following species available as recent WC imports:

laevigata
madagascariensis
baroni
crocea
viridis
expectata
pulchra
nigricans
ebenaui
milotympanum

#42 ·
going to trade shows a lot I notice mostly
pulchra
madagascariensis
crocea
laevigata
and sometimes ebenaui
thats just what I see the most of, it could be different outside of these chicagoland shows

#48 ·
Just checking in to see if anyone has had any good clutches so far this season. My viridis and mads have been calling up a storm and are putting on some serious weight but still nothing yet. That said, its still a little cool. I'm hopeful that I'll have an explosion of activity during the first series of warm days this spring.

#50 ·
Yeah, same as you guys. My viridis laid a clutch a little while ago when the temps were really warm for a few days, but they were no good. Now there's just lots of calling. Have not heard anything from the ebenaui though, perhaps they are still too young?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.