Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Woo Hoo finally!!

Well I was just doing some tank maintenance and even though looking for eggs in usually pointless....tonight it wasn't!! I found two eggs from our intermedius!!! :shock: Our males have been calling FOREVER! I was starting to wonder if the girl would ever have any interest in them.

So now some questions for anyone who has successfully gotten eggs from intermedius. Are the eggs supposed to be white? Because they are. I am leaving them in the tank until sometime tomorrow to make sure that the boys get to em. Also what do you with them if you take them out of the tank? They were laid in a 45 degree upside down film canister. So can I put the canister on its side so the eggs are on the bottom and put it in a dish and then add water so the eggs get half covered? I have never tried scraping eggs out of a canister so I don't want to damage them. I know they may not even be viable since it is her first clutch, but I still want to try with them.

Thanks for any help

-Shelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 01:51 AM

Congrats!
Old 01-17-2005, 02:38 AM

Nice job

Old 01-17-2005, 03:05 AM

Yes the eggs are supposed to be white.
I live them in the tank until I see a good amout of development. I try to time it so I only care for the eggs 3-4 max before the tads are ready.

Congrates btw,
Old 01-17-2005, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgreen
Yes the eggs are supposed to be white.
I live them in the tank until I see a good amout of development. I try to time it so I only care for the eggs 3-4 max before the tads are ready.

Congrates btw,
So it would be best to just leave them, and the canister, where they are until they are close to hatching huh? That works for me. They don't need to have water around them at all? And thanks everyone, I'm pretty stoked.

-Shelley
Old 01-17-2005, 10:36 PM

The parents take care of the whole water thing, so you don't really need to worry about them in the tank. You'll see the eggs develop into tadpole shapes and its around this time when you would remove them.

If you are worried about scraping them out, then just take the whole film canister out (a great thing about those ones with the suction cups, easy to take out and replace) to 'incubate' for the last couple days. When the tadpoles hatch you can "flush" them out with a spritzer. Hold the film canister over the container you want the tads in (to catch them), hold the canister downward a bit so the water flows out into the container, and spritzer thevery back of the canister (not the eggs themselves) and this will cause the water to flow out of the canister, into the container, and hopefully the tadpoles with it.