Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Plumbing in a drain system

Hello,
I am about to make a custom shelf unit with 12, 18 gallon tanks. I am going to put in a misting system, and figured I would need a auto drain system as well. I know that I am going to have to drill the bottoms of the tanks, another venture that I am not looking forward to, but have a question about hole placement.
Should the hole be drilled in the front, middle or back of the bottom? Which area is better for full drainage? I plan on using 1/2 inch bulkheads connected to pvc or some other pipping system.
Pics of your drain systems would be great as well.
Thank you,
TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 02:04 AM

trimtrig,

Are the tanks going to be standard aquariums positioned vertically? If so, just use plexiglass for the bottom panel. You can drill it easily and have your drain system in the front.

Check out Ben Green's website - The Coco Hut, for some great ideas.

Tim
Old 01-17-2005, 02:21 AM

I have seen Bens system, which is great for inverts. I am using 18 gallon tanks, that are the same width, length as a 10 gallon, but almost twice as tall. I would need to drill the holes through the bottom of the tanks.
I have a pic, but forgot how to post it here.
TQ

Old 01-17-2005, 02:57 AM

If you are going to drill through the bottom make sure it isn't tempered glass (I don't think it is). As for placement that is up to where you want your drain plumbing located.

We have a few 10 in normal postion with drains in the bottom, in the front, because that is where the plumbing is ran. I don't like putting drains in the bottom of a tank, because if you go to move them, you have to watch setting them down. I have a 20vert that I drain through the bottom and when I pulled it from the rack, I had to build a special stand so I could move it into my bed room.

I would locate the drain in the back of the bottom. If you plan on leaving the tanks on the rack you won't have a problem, and you will be much more happy if the plumbing is hidden.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:12 AM

Ben,
That is one of the set backs that came to mind- what if I have to move the tank-
I wan thinking about putting in the bulkheads and using the clear flexible tubbing with plastic clamps. Its the same tubbing I use for my reef systems.
The bottoms are not tempered, but I plan on having someone else do the drilling for me.
Thank you,
TQ
Old 01-17-2005, 10:49 PM

My only experience with drilled and drained tanks are 10s I got from Justin Y. I had to admit, the design was cool, worked well on the industrial wire racks that we both used, and made life simpler if you had many tanks to take care of.

The 10s are 20 in. long (the rack is 18 inches deep) which left some tank overhang, it was this front overhang where the bulkheads went. They were attached to flexible aquarium tubing which allowed them to drain into the PVC pipe "drainage system" just had running along each row to one side, where it all drained into a bucket. The flexible tubing allowed you to move the tanks and replace them relatively easily, and the overhand ment you didn't have to worry about catching the bulkheads on anything. Having the tubing in the front meant it could be cleaned and flushed without much difficulty, something really important for a drainage system.

Of course now, I honestly don't like them. You cannot put them down on a flat surface (I shattered the bottom of a tank when it slide and landed on a flat surface) which makes them a pain to transport. I prefer the idea of having the opening on the glass facing out towards you, not on the bottom, as there is no problem putting them on a flat surface, or transporting, and it takes care of the overflow just as well.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:53 AM

For me the only one problem I see with front drain, instead of bottom drains, is the fact that not all the water will drain out- there will still be a small amount left. I am trying to come up with a drain system that will drain all water.
I also am welding a custom shelf to hold the tanks. I think that I will also make a custom roll cart for the tanks if I have to tanks the tanks down.
TQ