Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 AM

Default Replanted 20H

When I finished this terrarium I was really happy with the results. But then over the course of a year a lot of the plants just seemed to slowly die away (luckily not the frogs). I made some poor plant decisions as this terrarium has a completely closed top but did find a few that were very good growers in the tank. So I replanted. First picture is the original planting (sorry it is over sharpened), next is the replanted tank (with frogs), and last is a "New River" Tinc wishing he was an intermedius...... he must of overheard my wish list.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 12:11 AM

Talking Re: Replanted 20H

Wow looks really good! i like how you have the background on 3 walls... i've always thought it didn't let enough light in and make the tank look smaller but yours looks really amazing! I will have to try that on my next viv. is that a kind of elephant ear in the center?

Last edited by csdemarinis; 01-28-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Replanted 20H

It's an Alocasia "black velvet" and is my new favorite centerpiece plant for this size tank.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Nice job on the re-plant, although the fist one is equally as stunning!

Ed
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM

When I foamed in the sides I kept the thickness of the foam low since I was just looking for a surface to mount plants, but didn't want to lose any space. I did foam a few spots up so I could pop some broms in and carve out a small planting basket, but kept it to a minimum. I didn't use any water features, and there is no open water either.

I did use this tank to practice making the fake buttressed tree in the back right hand corner. I really like it for a few reasons, but don't know if I'll do it again as it is pretty expensive and time consuming. The best part about it is that it is hollow behind it, and I have a whole drilled into the top behind the tree which I use to siphon off excess water. It is completely foamed and siliconed in so no frogs can get behind it.

I need to add a few more plants and wait for the creeping fig to fill in. I had a few plants in it originally that just didn't do good at all (Nepenthes sp., suzy wong fern,
Selaginella, and a few orchids). Even the creeping fig was having issues!! And the java moss that was over the substrate in the low area died, but it grew up the front of the tank nicely (blocking the view). About the only things that did really well were the Alocasia, Philodendron "wend-imbe", jewel orchid, and the broms of all things. I believe most of the issues were related to the substrate staying to wet for some, and the broms and Alocasia blocking the light to the lower levels.