Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Dedicated Supporter

Default Uyama Pumilio

OK someone requested to see this particular pair so here they are -
these pics don't really do them justice, especially because of my digital camera that refuses to focus on any frog but also color-wise, so here are some observations:
bright blue on the hands, feet, legs, around the waist area, blending up the back, a little on the belly
peach on the legs
bright-ish green on the back
a little yellow on the belly
a little orange on the belly
orange/brownish spots/pattern on the back and legs

male:

female:

pair:

"turn out the lights please!" so you can see a little of the belly, male on the left female on the right:

he was looking at her and calling in this pic (but you can't see the throat sac cuz the pic was from above), she was busy with springtails:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Uyama Pumilio

nice frogs! they look like a cross between Uyama and colon

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html
Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Yeah that was a part i liked about them because isla colons are another one i like a lot, looking at them for a while in person though doesn't look that much like them. They're not CB though and those areas aren't contiguous just for argument's sake

Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Dedicated Supporter

So is anyone else keeping this morph?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Here are a few shots of site specific Uyama River pumilio. The belly shot (specifically) hints that these are from a different local than the pair above.

Female

And a male with belly shot.

Rich
Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
TWI/ASN

The two sets of pics look much different. That belly shot is pretty sweet as well.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Thanks Rich, yeah I sent you an email a while back to the address on your website asking your opinion but I guess it got sent to your junk mail. Would you think these are just from a different part of the river or a totally undiscovered morph? They have the characteristics I've only seen on Uyamas so far, like the combo of peach reticulations on the legs along with the bright bluish green on the backs. I just want to be sure on whether they would be OK to mix with other Uyamas since I never saw anyone with the same type of Uyama as each other, each source seems to be different
Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 PM

Hi Chris,
Yeh, must have got lost. I answer pretty much every email I get, sooner than later. Comcast bites it hard.
It's hard to say what makes people label pums exactly what they are all labeled. I know some Salt Creek Bastis were being labled "solarte" solely because they could fetch a better buck than the already established bastis at the time. Uyama River pumilio are one of the rarest morphs in the hobby. That may be a reason. If all the "uyamas" coming in look a bit different (and I have never seen ones in the hobby that look like mine) once again it becomes a guessing game. Without pics taken in nature (excepting Dr Urquhart's and Dr Summer's photos, which look exactly like mine) I have only one yardstick to judge what an Uyama River pumilio looks like.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Thanks Rich, yeah I sent you an email a while back to the address on your website asking your opinion but I guess it got sent to your junk mail. Would you think these are just from a different part of the river or a totally undiscovered morph? They have the characteristics I've only seen on Uyamas so far, like the combo of peach reticulations on the legs along with the bright bluish green on the backs. I just want to be sure on whether they would be OK to mix with other Uyamas since I never saw anyone with the same type of Uyama as each other, each source seems to be different
Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Thanks again Rich, I'll definitely keep them or their offspring separate from any site specific Uyamas then (which shouldn't be too hard lol), I saw JP mention he would be studying them down there so hopefully he can get pics/data from different sections/areas
Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 PM

Hey Chris,
If you can take a few more shots (very hard at times in-viv, I know...) I will pass along the pics to those who inquire about uyamas. I do get a few emails asking about them. Maybe I can find you a match , not in your collection. It would be good to get some "full" belly shots. The belly is really just as important, if not more so, than dorsal shots .

Rich
Old 02-25-2009, 03:55 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Thanks again Rich, I'll definitely keep them or their offspring separate from any site specific Uyamas then (which shouldn't be too hard lol), I saw JP mention he would be studying them down there so hopefully he can get pics/data from different sections/areas
I'm basing my opinions off of what I've seen from Dr. Urquhart's, Dr. Summer's, and Rich's Uyama pumilio, but when I saw your pics, I was surprised that they were Uyamas because they had the opposite pattern of Uyamas that I knew of (black background with light spots whereas yours have a light background with dark spots). If I had to guess, I would say that they were odd Bastis, but then again, they don't quite fit that description either. They're certainly odd!

My hope/plan is to basically go from Almirante to Chiriqui Grande and catalog frogs along the way. I definitely want to go to Uyama and Robalo as well as a few of the other riverine morphs and take tons of pictures. It's tiring to see the same 3 or 4 pictures used over and over as the pictures for those morphs (with how variable these frogs are through the rest of their range, I would expect the same from these). I'd like to document the variability of morphs especially (yours, for example, might be from the fringe of the population whereas the rest are from around the river). We'll see. Hopefully I'll get a number of the grants I'm applying to which will help aid that.

Otherwise, I'm taking donations, lol!

Oophaga pumilio Researcher - 1 New Morph So Far

http://monarchzman.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Dedicated Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Frye View Post
Hey Chris,
If you can take a few more shots (very hard at times in-viv, I know...) I will pass along the pics to those who inquire about uyamas. I do get a few emails asking about them. Maybe I can find you a match , not in your collection. It would be good to get some "full" belly shots. The belly is really just as important, if not more so, than dorsal shots .

Rich
Yeah definitely, just need to catch them at the right time - the male will usually make his rounds around the glass calling before the lights go on but never at exactly the same times, otherwise it's hit or miss getting a belly shot with them and thanks again -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchzMan View Post
I'm basing my opinions off of what I've seen from Dr. Urquhart's, Dr. Summer's, and Rich's Uyama pumilio, but when I saw your pics, I was surprised that they were Uyamas because they had the opposite pattern of Uyamas that I knew of (black background with light spots whereas yours have a light background with dark spots). If I had to guess, I would say that they were odd Bastis, but then again, they don't quite fit that description either. They're certainly odd!
I know, the reason I still think they're some type of Uyama or from really close is the combination of the peach on the legs with bright blue-green on the backs, basically the same colors on the same parts of the bodies as other Uyamas but just reticulated differently. I didn't see that type of color combination on those body parts in any other morph - one that looks a little more like the reticulations on mine is the last pic on this page: http://www.gifkikkers.be/forum2/view...hp?f=51&t=4001
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
TWI/ASN

Interesting indeed. And it's certainly possible. We just don't know enough at all about that morph (or most of the riverine morphs, for that matter). I wish they showed the belly on that one. As I understand it, they have that belly that is rather variable like what Rich showed. Makes me all the more eager to get down there and document them a bit more, lol.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
... one that looks a little more like the reticulations on mine is the last pic on this page: www.gifkikkers.be/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4001
One thing we have to remember when it comes to IDing pums (or any dart) is that the lighting used (or available during the shot) has a lot to do with what the pics' coloration looks like. I can take one of my Uyams Rivers and under tha right lighting conditions get them to look like they have a blue body much as that last Uyama River has. The iridescence tend to make different sheens and highlights , even what seems to be an almost predominant body color stand out when those colors may not be a great representation of what the true/natural colors are in-fact.
What may be an even more accurate indicator of whether the ones I work with and the ones you have are closely related would be body size. I know the only way (main way really) to tell the difference between my Darklands and the Caucheros in the hobby now is the fact that every adult Cauchero I have received info on is much larger than any adult Darklands I have. How big are yours Chris?

Rich
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Dedicated Supporter

They're easily noticeably bigger than my Cayo de Aguas, maybe almost Basti size or a little smaller.
Just for timeliness here's a belly shot of the male, if anything their bellies are almost identical and there might be a little more black spotting on the lower belly than upper, I might be able to get more later but I needed to spray and dump ff's in just to get him to squeeze out a little for this one - they're brom-bound today since they seem to sense that I want pics and are determined to thwart my efforts at all costs haha:

Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 AM
TWI/ASN

My understanding for Uyamas (and Robalos for that matter) is that the pattern seen on the dorsal surface is the basically same on the ventral surface. With how much white is on the belly of yours, I would be surprised if they were Uyamas. That much white looks more to me like a Basti. 3 months and I'll get these questions answered, lol.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Dedicated Supporter

Yeah if they were CB then I would actually think they were hybrids but they're imports. There's a little more black spotting on the lower bellies and i thought they were a little like Robalo bellies, but if these are bastis then i got the most outrageous bastis on the board lol!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
but if these are bastis then i got the most outrageous bastis on the board lol!
No argument there, lol. They don't quite fit anything that I know of which makes them all the more interesting.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Dedicated Supporter

OK was able to get female belly shot, still can't get the lower belly though!

Here's a bit of a blurry one of her but it shows some of the coloration:

Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Well, for the last couple of days the male has cut down his calling 90-95% and they been hanging out next to each other under some leaf litter.....
Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 PM

I've seen a lot of robalo's, but this looks like a hybrid.

Are you shure that they are imported??? and not kept in captivity for a while? and you have now some hybrids from the imported animals with cb animals of a different species?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Hi Peter,
Just curious where you have seen a lot of Robalos. In Panama or captivity?
Chris is calling these frogs uyamas. Which are different than Robalos.

Rich
Old 03-08-2009, 12:13 PM

in captivity
Old 03-08-2009, 12:18 PM

if i knew how to post some picture i did but i don't know how.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM

no it does not work
Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Quote:
no it does not work
upload the photos to a hosting site like photobucket, then below your photos there will be image code choices you can copy. copy the one that has [img] before the URL and [/img] after completely and paste the code in your post and include the [img] before and [/img] after
Old 03-08-2009, 03:18 PM

There are a few decent Robalo pics around. But, being that it is pretty much the rarest (positively IDed) pumilio morph in captivity the amount of available good reference shots are not that abundant, unless a bunch have been smuggled in of late.

For reference.
An Uyama River;

A Robalo;
Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
upload the photos to a hosting site like photobucket, then below your photos there will be image code choices you can copy. copy the one that has [img] before the URL and [/img] after completely and paste the code in your post and include the [img] before and [/img] after
Or, if the photos are on a site, link them.

Rich
Old 03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Quote:

Are you shure that they are imported??? and not kept in captivity for a while? and you have now some hybrids from the imported animals with cb animals of a different species?
i would think that would be a possibility except that i found others with the same morph from different import years. if they were cb hybrids, that pair producing them would need to be pretty prolific -
Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Most likely just some from another area not collect from all the time. The guessing games needed to be played with these.
Good deal finding similar looking ones though.

Rich
Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Yeah exactly, probably some rio area close to there that's not really documented. i'm still eager to see peter's captive robalo pics though.........................
Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah exactly, probably some rio area close to there that's not really documented. i'm still eager to see peter's captive robalo pics though.........................
I think Peter is from the EU. And in that case there are a few more pics floating around over there of course. But still the rarest morph I know of. I'm always interested in new pics also.

Rich
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM

First,
Yes i'm from the EU (thats why my englisch is not that good )

For references about robalo's: Kleurvarianten O. pumilio 3
I don't know if this is a good reference because it is not the same as in this topic is stated.

Not my own picture.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks Peter. I belive those are pics taken in the wild though. Lighting is very important to get a realistic view of what they both actually look like. I see many pics of both Uyams River and Robalos that I have to guess are a little more blue looking than in nature. They both do have blue iridescence, but not really like that striking blue that shows in some pics.
The main difference I have noticed is that Uyama River have a more brownish base and Robalos have a blacker base.
The following pics are representative;

Captive bred Robalo froglets;

Captive bred Uyama River froglets;

Adult WC , but now in captivity Robalo female;

Robalos WC males, in captivity;

Female Uyama River in C.;

And, a male Uyama River;

Rich
Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Those froglets are f-ing awesome Rich
Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Hi
First, beautiful frogs/pictures.
I see what you mean with the color difference, the robalo's are indeed more black, and de river's have more brownisch legs.

what about these:

different frogs
Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks Peter. They are cool frogs , and fairly bold.
Where you asking ("what about these") about an ID?

Rich

Quote:
Hi
First, beautiful frogs/pictures.
I see what you mean with the color difference, the robalo's are indeed more black, and de river's have more brownisch legs.

what about these:

different frogs
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Hi, sorry, i was interested what you upion was about these frogs and the species they are.

robalo of uyama's, i have more pictures but it is not easy to upload them to photobucket and that to here.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM

If you need help loading the Photobucket stuff I'll try to help Peter. I am about as big a computer illiterate as possible and I have no troubles.
I alway say that there is much more to IDing pumilio than a simple picture. Size is important along with activity and a few other factors.
That being said, with the top picture, it looks more like a Robalo than Uyama River. Robalos tend to also have more white in the bodies , along with the black vs. brownish of the Uyama river.

Rich

Quote:
Hi, sorry, i was interested what you upion was about these frogs and the species they are.

robalo of uyama's, i have more pictures but it is not easy to upload them to photobucket and that to here.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Dedicated Supporter

You guys are making me crazy!