New Exo-Terra Front opening terrariums........ - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 04:29 AM

Default New Exo-Terra Front opening terrariums........

Has anybody else seen these yet?

Here is a link.. have a look:

http://www.exo-terra.com/products/glass ... ums_i.html

Now, I have seen them in person. They are nice, and they are incredibly cheap for what they are. The smallest size (12 inch cube) will retail for around 50 dollars CANADIAN.. so I suppose that would be a little less than 40 US dollars. I beleive the 18 inch cubes will sell for around 70 Canadian.. whch would be roughly 55-60 dollars US... and would be a far more practical size for dart frog keeping.

They look incredibly sharp in real life... I have seen a few on display at a pet shop in my city... though they are not on sale yet. The foam background can be easily removed (thankfully).. though I bet they wouldn't look too bad in a fully planted tank.. it would save some weld bonding time anyway... but I am still not completely sold on the foam background they come with.
There ventilation on the front doors as well. The glass is a good thickness.. and of course, we would never have to worry about warping. The door construction seems quite good.. and the tanks themselves seem really well made.

Now, they are not perfect. The removable screen top is stainless steel. I would be concerned about how well this would hold up in a dart frog tank. Though, to prevent rust, one could easily put cling wrap or some sort of poly *underneath* the screen without problems.. thus preventing any chance of oxidation. As for being fly proof..... I haven't decided yet. There is a *slight* gap between the doors.. but I cannot decide whether a fly could escape through this. I would love to test that out.

Still... I am considering buying a few of the 18 inch cubes for perhaps pairs of tincs or azureus.

Despite a few flaws for dart frog usage.. they certainly look promising. The price is definitely right anyway.
Regardless of how they perform for usage with dart frogs, I am definitely buying them for small Phelsuma and Lygodactylus. These are truly ideal for day geckos.

What does everyone else think of these for use with dendros? Feel free to respond with your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 06:40 AM

"removable top screen"

See I'd probibly just take the screen out and replace it with glass or something.... possibly just replace the screening with fiberglass screening if I could... but I haven't seen the tanks up close.

Having the metal screening originally is actually reptile smart since there could possibly be heating elements up there and possibly food items that could munch right through fiberglass screening (i.e. crickets).

I like the closable holes for wires.... great for pumps, filters, thermometers, misting nozzle tubing (so you don't have an annoying hole in your lid or have to worry about the screening getting coated in deposits and what not), all that good stuff. And the front window ventilation..... nice idea much like the european designs (I believe FCA uses a similar idea). If you are worried about FFs, I'd do a test with it before you start decorating it. If the FFs get out, its a little matter of some well placed screening.

I like! Now I just want one in a store near me so I can play with it and figure out if I want some.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Mod

If it is real stainless steel - it will not rust. That's the point of stainless steel.

s

Old 01-13-2005, 11:45 AM

These tanks do look sharp. I've liked the challenge of building from scratch in the past so if it's not dramatically different in cost then.......I personally would go with FCA's tanks specifically designed for darts.

Stainless steel will rust just not as much. They should call it rust-less. Trust me I lived on a boat and woked on a boat and you learn what Ospho is. :wink:

Mike
Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 PM

double j what store did you see them in i'd like to go sneak a peak
Old 01-13-2005, 12:53 PM

Very cool, Hagen has done some good market research and are filling a gap that other companies have neglected. When the store I work at first started carrying Exo Terra products I blew them off and assumed that Hagen had just re-packaged all of their old products in flashy new boxes with a cool name. As it turns out, they have really come up with a lot of interesting products, not all good products, but certainly interesting ones. These new tanks look great and I can't wait to see them in person. Are there any small gaps or holes between the doors or near the cover? That's always been my main concern with front-opening tanks that aren't made by froggers. Thanks for sharing the new tanks with us,
Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 PM

I haven't seen them in person, but they look almost ideal, once you customize the screen top. I wonder how much of a gap there is inbetween the two glass doors.
The one thing I don't like is the gap underneath for heating pads etc.
You can see there is access to this gap from the front. If you ever have a frog get out, the first place they try to go is under something.
:lol: get out the duct tape! :lol:
Old 01-13-2005, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing frogs
The one thing I don't like is the gap underneath for heating pads etc.
You can see there is access to this gap from the front. If you ever have a frog get out, the first place they try to go is under something.
:lol: get out the duct tape! :lol:
I think the black base looks sharp, and would be useful if you are brave enough to drill drainage holes in the bottom of these tanks.

Now, if I am not mistaken, you can remove the black plastic base at the bottom if you choose, therby elimininating this gap at the bottom. In my frog room (as well as just about everybody elses), this would be an ideal place for spiders to congregate.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Interesting though I would like to see one in person. From the pics it looks like the whole top is screen, that would not work, but I guess you could cover most or all of it.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:54 AM

Screen tops have served me well for years. Like you said, a little bit of saran wrap or 1 mil poly would do the trick in terms of keeping the moisture in.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:36 AM

So has anyone seen them yet?
I'm seriously considering getting two of the large units for my 36" stand...if I can get rid of my 70 lizard lounge :roll: .
Old 02-20-2005, 01:02 AM

i saw them a few days ago i think they have a lot of potential. the price is really resonable and the seem to be built well.
and the few faults they have are fixable.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:09 AM

How much of a gap is between the front doors?
That is my major concern.
Since the screen top is removable, I would assume that it would be a simple matter to retrofit it to keep the humidity up.
Actually that is one of the things I like, if you want to allow some UV in, you wont have to jump through flaming hoops to make it happen.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:13 AM

the gap in between the doors really isnt big. i saw about ten tanks and it varied so i guess they arent always created equal, but if you added a small strip of glass it would the porblem.

i was thinking of doing the fix i mentioned but i would use the side of the tank as the front. so the doors would be a side access.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:16 PM

I emailed Emmanuel of Hagen and he said they might offer a glass or acrylic top to switch out with the screen top. Also, I believe he said it was designed to be fruit fly escape proof (don't quote me, then email exchange was on my work email account).

Emmanuel is onto Phelsuma (see: http://www.phelsumania.com) and if you keep and breed these you know that fruit flies are important for neonates.

Anyhow, he mentioned that in the US these would be available in PetCo.

I plan on getting some for my Phelsuma.[/u]
Old 02-21-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberloach
the gap in between the doors really isnt big. i.
Sounds like it would be easy for fruit flys to get out.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:18 PM

We bought the large one and I donít think the flies will be able to get out, but if they can it should be an easy fix. (I was actually going to set an old jar of flies in it today and see if any get out )
Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM

Does anyone know of a place online that is selling these?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:44 AM

Has anyone in the U.S. seen or bought one of these yet? I called Hagen and they said that they were shipping them, but I am yet to see or hear of any.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 10:46 PM

I own one. I havent put a frog in yet, but ive constructed it. I have a stream draining into a pond, with a small pump. Spagham moss substrate, a log, some tillandsia, pepperomia and a sheffelera. IM planning on buying a bromeliad sometime in the near future. I would defiately suggest this cage. The space between the doors does not look small enough for flies to exit from eaither. Buy it.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:57 PM

So post a pic so we can see it! :shock:
Mike
Old 02-24-2005, 11:01 PM

where did you get it?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:05 PM

Im in Canada... I got it at my local pet store.... Lucky me!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:08 PM

Lucky you for sure! Post pics when you can!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:16 AM

Hmmm, well somebody posted earlier that they should be available at Petco.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:58 PM

just got a reply from hagen, they said they should be available in late spring, at stores that carry exo-terra. But if they don't have em in stock they should be able to order them. Can't wait to see em.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofft
The space between the doors does not look small enough for flies to exit from eaither. Buy it.
Uhhh ... :? Now maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet today, but this doesn't make sense?

Do you mean, the space between the doors does not look small enough for flies to NOT exit, but the enclosure is so cool that the other parts of it more than make up for this, so go ahead and buy it anyhow?

Or do you mean, the space between the doors does not look LARGE enough for flies to exit it, so go ahead and buy it without worrying about flies getting out?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Well here is a pic of ours, its not done yet, but you get a good idea...
oh and I hear they can vary a lot with gaps, and also I have heard that some leak (I'm sure they are still working the bugs out) but ours doesn't leak, and the gaps aren't big enough for flies to get out (I opened a jar in there and I only saw one outside the terrarium so I think that's pretty good.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:15 AM

They are in Canada now? I don't live too far from the border (3-4 hours). Could I just drive across, buy one and come back or is that like illegal or something?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:20 AM

that's legal, but you m ight have to pay taxes but they dont cost much so the taxes would be low.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:01 AM

Both Petsmart and Petco carry Exo-Terra stuff, so they should pop up at either place, if the local stores decide to carry them. Not all stores have the same product I've found, and it especially varies with Petsmart, because individual stores can carry items that others don't. The one nearest me doesn't carry the 18 gallon tanks, for instance, but the next closest one does. Out of the five Petsmarts within reasonable driving distance, only 2 carry the 18 gallons.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:17 AM

Global Exotic Pets is carrrying them in Canada.

http://www.globalexoticpets.com/Product ... ghting.htm

They are rather affordably priced, and this is where I purchased mine from. I have purchased three of them so far (two of the 12 inch cubes, as well as one 36 high). No darts in them yet though.. I plan on getting a few of the 18 inch cubes for some tincs, as well as a few more of the larger ones for pairs of Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis.
I am actually keeping Lygodactylus kimhowelli in the smaller ones (for those who don't know what Lygodactylus kimhowelli are, here is a link to a pic on the gekkota website: http://www.gekkota.com/html/l__kimhowelli.html )
and a pair of Tokays in the larger one. They are incredible for fast arboreal geckos! Front opening doors are a huge asset.
So far, they get my thumbs up... and I see them as a fabulously cost effective, functional, and attractive tool for gecko keeping.
That said, I do prefer acrylic tanks such as the ones that MArk PEpper builds for keeping darts... but I am still a big fan of these new Exo-Terra tanks. I can't wait to get some tincs into a few of them. They will look incredible.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:11 AM

Not bad for the price. Especially since it comes with a background for free. I can see a lot of people using the 'smear with silicone and powder with coco fiber' treatment on it. Especially if those prices are in Canadian dollars.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:42 AM

woops.... lol I meant is doesnt look large enough.. haha. but serioulsy.... i have a question..

WHere do you people in WA, or more specifically, seattle, get all your dart frogs.. Im visiting seattle on spring break, and am interested in finding a good breeder with some nice frogs.. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:44 AM

not thumbnails though
Old 03-10-2005, 12:07 AM

I sent an e-mail to Petco a few days ago and just got a reply- they are now in their distribution centers and should be available by the end of March or the first part of April!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:20 AM

Did you try any of the people I PM'd you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofft
woops.... lol I meant is doesnt look large enough.. haha. but serioulsy.... i have a question..

WHere do you people in WA, or more specifically, seattle, get all your dart frogs.. Im visiting seattle on spring break, and am interested in finding a good breeder with some nice frogs.. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:21 AM

I'm curious to see these things in person. I wonder how many MODs will have to be done to make it PDF ready.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:43 AM

My prayers have been answered, woo hoo
Old 03-10-2005, 11:24 AM

Apparently, according to Hagen, the glass isn't tempered. Anyone had a go at drilling one of these bad boys for a bulkhead?