Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 02:21 AM

Default I didnt know....

that poison dart frogs can eat mealworms.Monday I realized I had no more fruit flies cause my cultures have run out and some still have not produced,so as you can see to your left I am underaged :? so going to the petstore or to order more flies is out of the question.and since its winter I cant go out and find bugs(I know, sad aint it )so I do the next best thing.i look for mealworms that are really small(about the fatness of five FF togetherand the length of a sssmmmaaalll cricket.(I used to have a small lizard so thats where I got the worms)and I get a small dish and put them in there.after awhile my azuerez gos up to them and ssslllluuuppp,ate it !!!though it took it like 20 secs to finish.anyway when I put the worms in I was just desperate,I didnt know theyd eat it.So Im curios what other not commonly eaten bug is able to be fed to PDF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 02:44 AM
Mod

I'd think twice before feeding something that large to a dart. I'd imagine that it could cause some kind of blockage in the esophagus and maybe suffocate the animal. If you have to choose between starving your frog and feeding mealworms, you only really have one option, but it's definitely not something you want to make a habit of.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:43 AM

Right......I'll make a note of that.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:48 AM

Azurehelios, I have fed mini mealworms to my mantella's before, as well as some auratus, and they seem to love them, and have no problems. However, I HIGHLY recommend that you get yourself a confused rice flour beetle culture going. They are great, easy, and dont stink. All you do is let them sit, that is it. Then, if you have a fly crisis, you bust them out, and all is well until you have flies going again. It happens to the best of us, believe me. I know it would be hard being only twelve, but, just remember it is for the frogs. I think you can get starter cultures for only 10 to 15 bucks of the beetles. Remember, only feed the larvae to the frogs, not the actual beetles. See ya,

Ed Parker
Old 01-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Default lesser waxworms and mealworms are great

They are good food for mantella... they love them but you have to give the larvea before the 10mm... after that the waxworms (sorry I alyways confusing the two in english) I thinks is the wax waxworms developpe a exosquelet... (a big shield around im) but I am puting only one or two by feeding

The guy in england who wrote about mantella is using this kind of food...

I am testing is recipes for now.... but I never had problem with this kind of food....

Ok ok... I have mantella and if I put a hornworm they will try to fit him in they mouth... :wink:
3-3-7 mantella viridis
1-2 ventrimaculatus FG
1-1 ventrimaculatus BR
0.1.2 pumilio, bast
Old 01-13-2005, 04:16 PM

The waxworm is the one that turns into a moth, and the mealworm is the one that turns into a beetle, mealworms have an exoskeleton.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks....

You just have to respect the 10 mm...

I know that my mantella really love the lesser waxworn.... they go and do a competition to eat them....

Christian
3-3-7 mantella viridis
1-2 ventrimaculatus FG
1-1 ventrimaculatus BR
0.1.2 pumilio, bast