Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2020, 06:20 PM

Default 20 Gallon+Extension Build(total 40 gallon)

Hi, so I'm redoing my 20 gallon high vivarium for the 2nd time now! I decided to add an addition on top of the terrarium, combining the canopy ideas and a plywood terrarium. I'm hoping to also redo the water part also in order to expand it. Here's what my 20 high look like currently before I tear it apart today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200619_125328.jpg (66.6 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 06:25 PM

Default Re: 20 Gallon+Extension Build(total 40 gallon)

Here's my build from yesterday,not great of a builder and was using scrap pieces of wood from around my house, was off by like a quarter of an inch for the back panel, but I manage to fix it. I painted polyurethane to help protect the wood from water and humidity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200618_120211.jpg (81.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200618_122337.jpg (68.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20200618_123749.jpg (55.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20200618_155255.jpg (75.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-19-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonsus View Post
Here's my build from yesterday,not great of a builder and was using scrap pieces of wood from around my house, was off by like a quarter of an inch for the back panel, but I manage to fix it. I painted polyurethane to help protect the wood from water and humidity.
I don't know if you already did this or not but definitely paint the entire structure (or apply other waterproof coating to the outside) not just the inside. It looks like you are using regular plywood (as opposed to marine plywood) so if water gets into the edges it will basically start delaminating the whole thing.

And here follows the obligatory anti-water feature pitch:

Please don't make the water feature bigger it is taking away the most usable space the frogs have.
fishingguy12345 likes this.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
I don't know if you already did this or not but definitely paint the entire structure (or apply other waterproof coating to the outside) not just the inside. It looks like you are using regular plywood (as opposed to marine plywood) so if water gets into the edges it will basically start delaminating the whole thing.

And here follows the obligatory anti-water feature pitch:

Please don't make the water feature bigger it is taking away the most usable space the frogs have.
Problem is my polyurethane is gray color, I put a stain on the outside tho. This vivarium/paludarium isn't for frogs! Still not sure entirely what I want to do for the water feature, as I am not sure if I want the bottom opened for fish(I have one aggressive zebra danio that I wanna put in here).
Old 06-19-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonsus View Post
Problem is my polyurethane is gray color, I put a stain on the outside tho. This vivarium/paludarium isn't for frogs! Still not sure entirely what I want to do for the water feature, as I am not sure if I want the bottom opened for fish(I have one aggressive zebra danio that I wanna put in here).
AHH sorry didn't realize this was not for frogs.

If it's just stain it won't protect the outside. Its not that the whole thing can't work without this added protection, but rather that the life expectancy will definitely drop.

Anyway you can get some protection by at least painting the edges. Tape off the rest so your paint doesn't get elsewhere.

If you don't mind buying more materials then pick up clear polyurethane at the hardware store. For under 10 dollars you can have an outdoor rated product that will protect the outside while preserving the look of the grain.

If planning to put fish in there then you either need filtration or a lot of underwater plants or its just a really big ol fish bowl thats a pain to do water changes with ;P
Old 06-19-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
AHH sorry didn't realize this was not for frogs.

If it's just stain it won't protect the outside. Its not that the whole thing can't work without this added protection, but rather that the life expectancy will definitely drop.

Anyway you can get some protection by at least painting the edges. Tape off the rest so your paint doesn't get elsewhere.

If you don't mind buying more materials then pick up clear polyurethane at the hardware store. For under 10 dollars you can have an outdoor rated product that will protect the outside while preserving the look of the grain.

If planning to put fish in there then you either need filtration or a lot of underwater plants or its just a really big ol fish bowl thats a pain to do water changes with ;P
Yeah, I painted the edge of the wood with it, I might do more right now however as this would be better long term!

This terrarium currently houses my armored millipedes and Dubai roaches, I know eeekkk.

I'm currently using what my dad has in his workshop! But the actual construction isn't that great, the doors I have will have gaps, but this is my first build besides my aquarium stand from 2 years ago which was way easier to do! Definetly learned a lot from building this such as...using levels and actually measuring things correctly.

In terms of the water feature, I currently have a river that leads to the pond of water that is being delt with a pump. Still have to work on the design by what I want to do with the new layout, I do know I want to do a step like part, so that I can put some emersed aquatic plants that come out of the water.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:33 AM

Did my new false bottom today with foaming!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200620_103727.jpg (77.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_201304.jpg (78.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20200620_201321.jpg (79.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:23 AM

Here's an update!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200621_121448.jpg (78.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20200623_165527.jpg (70.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20200623_165547.jpg (63.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:45 PM

Looking good so far can't wait to see more progress.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:45 PM

It's been awhile and I forgot to update this! I did have plumbing problems as I wanted to just put 2 airline tubing one going to the river and the other flowing up to the 2nd shelf. Still tryna work on that drip irrigation system. Definetly learned a lot from this build as I didn't construct this too well such as gaps, mismeasurement and some other small things. This will only be up for 2 years tho, so I'll definetly will redo this sometime in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200623_180536.jpg (92.2 KB, 9 views)