Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 06:14 PM

Default New small portion of jungle at home (ExoTerra 36x18x36)

Hi all,
I have been around for a while but haven't shown any of my vivs yet. I remember the forum used to be more active when I started in the hobby and had to gather info.

I almost finished a 36x18x36 ExoTerra viv. I have pics of the process but won't show those unless there is any special interest. The build will seem a bit odd for this enclosure as it is a 3 side view, where the side against the wall is NOT the wide side in the back.

Some info:
- false bottom with egg crate/weed fabric
- 2 big pieces of driftwood bound together to create main branch, hold by an artificial base
- some small pieces of manzanita wood
- home made ABG mix with some extra stuff
- small pump to recirculate the water from the swampy/water area.
- some hygrolon for moss growth to separate water from dry area
- white LED lighting I have been using to grow/propagate plants indoors
- a few red/blue 3W LED chips
- computer fans to move the air inside the tank (to be installed)
- rain system (to be finished)

I know that most of hardscape will be covered with moss, ferns and climbers, so I did not waste time in fake roots, rocks and small details.

I have been a plant person as long as I have been an animal person, so the tank is heavily planted and there are a few more species to be planted.

It has been "alive" for a month now and the plants are adapted to the new conditions and showing some growth. I have had an explosion of springtails in the tank. I even have to feed them to keep the population up. This will end after the inhabitants arrive to their paradise. I will make a full list of plants after I have the new additions. Many bromeliads, some orchids, ferns, different mosses, some aquatic plants and even cacti. Far from being a natural biotope as it contains plants from many different locations. I am in love with thumbnails, so it will house a group of Ranitomeya (species revealed when I get some photos). Sometimes I like a dominant bromeliad species, but in this case, I wanted variety in sizes and colors. Most plants were small cuttings I grow in bins and I "planted" different mosses as chopped moss, but all doing very well after a month. I am growing a lot of moss in containers to cover most surfaces of hardscape after I am done with planting.

I hope you enjoy it. I am open to suggestions, well, not really
Message me if you want to know anything else.

Main views:

Details:

Last edited by dreammaster; 06-01-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: adding more images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 09:43 PM

Tank looks great to my eyes! Really liking the short side against the wall, great viewing area! Cant wait to see it after you get your new plants in. Thanks for sharing your slice of paradise.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:35 AM

Default Re: New small portion of jungle at home (ExoTerra 36x18x36)

Love the idea of a peninsula tank. Don't see them very often. Great job. Any chance of seeing a full room shot to the impression the tank gives the room?

Old 06-17-2020, 02:23 PM

Very cool. My first tank had a water feature which ended up being a little over ambitious on my part. Three tanks later I may be up for it again. I like the look of your setup.