Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 06:10 AM

Thank you for sharing your journey so far! Your modification of the aquarium looks very similar to what I plan on doing with my 20H once finances are in a place to start, though I'm planning on going horizontal instead of vertical, since I'm particularly interested in phyllobates vittatus, another terrestrial-preferring frog!

It's also super cool to see you visit planted tank dot net. I hung out there a lot while researching doing planted tanks, but aquariums ended up being too high maintenance for me. I gave up on the idea of cool nature things indoors until a few months ago when a friend who has some darts opened my eyes to the awesomeness of vivariums and darts. It all seems to be exactly in line with what I was wanting when I dabbled in planted tanks.

Anyway, it's cool to see another beginner go through the process after doing lots of research! I will be in the research stage for quite a bit longer, but this thread has been very encouraging. I hadn't seen the type of background you made before, so that's really appealing to me. I had been planning on going with the tree fern panels, but this looks like it might be a better option. I just know I like both much better than the spray foam backgrounds I've been seeing. 😁

I can't wait to see your future progress!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM

Default Re: My First Vivarium Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoencrypted View Post
Thank you for sharing your journey so far! Your modification of the aquarium looks very similar to what I plan on doing with my 20H once finances are in a place to start, though I'm planning on going horizontal instead of vertical, since I'm particularly interested in phyllobates vittatus, another terrestrial-preferring frog!

It's also super cool to see you visit planted tank dot net. I hung out there a lot while researching doing planted tanks, but aquariums ended up being too high maintenance for me. I gave up on the idea of cool nature things indoors until a few months ago when a friend who has some darts opened my eyes to the awesomeness of vivariums and darts. It all seems to be exactly in line with what I was wanting when I dabbled in planted tanks.

Anyway, it's cool to see another beginner go through the process after doing lots of research! I will be in the research stage for quite a bit longer, but this thread has been very encouraging. I hadn't seen the type of background you made before, so that's really appealing to me. I had been planning on going with the tree fern panels, but this looks like it might be a better option. I just know I like both much better than the spray foam backgrounds I've been seeing. 😁

I can't wait to see your future progress!
Thank you! The research, building, and planting have all been a lot of fun. Another background method to look into is the "cracked cork mosaic" mentioned in the thread. I think both have a lot of potential long term. I like my background but if I build another tank I will probably do a cracked cork mosaic for ease of planting.

I find a lot of similarities between a planted aquarium and a vivarium so far. The biggest difference being no need for water changes (assuming you have a drain) and a lot easier to grow... well everything heh.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Thank you! The research, building, and planting have all been a lot of fun. Another background method to look into is the "cracked cork mosaic" mentioned in the thread. I think both have a lot of potential long term. I like my background but if I build another tank I will probably do a cracked cork mosaic for ease of planting.

I find a lot of similarities between a planted aquarium and a vivarium so far. The biggest difference being no need for water changes (assuming you have a drain) and a lot easier to grow... well everything heh.
Researching stuff is possibly my favorite part of any hobby. I'm glad I'm not alone in enjoying that part, either, haha.