Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dmg85

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2020, 03:00 PM

Default New 20 gallon hex, first terrarium

Hello all, been scouring this and a few other sites during my research period and thought I would post my finished product for any advice and or warnings.

Just finished my first terrarium, er vivarium,...eco-hexarium??? I don't know but it's done haha. I use an undertank heater leftover from a snake tank (tank has a plastic bottom) I run a single 15w t5ho on a 11hr on timer plus the waterfall which clearly needs some more work. Not much else really, just a gauge for temp and humity which seems to float around 72 to 74 and generally around 99%. I'm thinking I may need a fan. Besides that the tank is as it is with some springtails, powder blue isopods and the miniature white pods. I grabbed a bunch of plants from lfs, most look healthy but a sword and some other long red leaf plant didn't take well to being pulled from the water, I'll see how they fair over the next little while. Oh and the substrate is fish tank pebbles I had kicking around under the waterfall to help with circulation although it does look a bit unnatural, ah well. And the planted substrate is a mix of reptisoil, terrarium moss and coconut fiber. It seems to retain the humidity very well. Still trying to dry out some leftovers.

I've been looking around Kijiji for a mister to keep plants moist but in the meantime I'm just manually spraying every couple hours if it looks like it needs it.

Once everything grows in and looks healthy I will likely get a singular MAYBE 2 poison dart frogs or possibly just leave it as is.

Cheers, Duane.
jemzam likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 03:06 PM

And just as soon as I figure out how to put up pics this won't be just a description of my tank!