No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalle
  • 1 Post By boardingfool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 03:07 AM

Default Show me your unique or custom build

Hello all, I've been away for a while. I'm still rocking my 75gal luec tank with 6 adults that are breeding like crazy. I recently got promoted and am moving to a new house so my wife and I would like to do something SPECIAL for the new house. Budget is around $1000.

Looking for in-the-wall, or 3 or 4 sided island tanks, or maybe something completely different. I've seen quite a few here over the years, but they're hard to track down.

I have no qualms about knocking in walls or building a custom island in the house. Location will be in the kitchen or den. I'm debating on keeping the leucs and moving them to the new tank, or maybe some terribs!

Please show me your tanks that are a real showpiece and are the focus of attention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Show me your unique or custom build

Still working on my big custom unique build so unfortunately have nothing to show.

But I have a few thoughts...

Do you have any ideas on the scape/design? To me that's what truly sets tanks apart, not really the size and shape of the tank itself. I've seen enormous tanks with very ordinary and lazy scaping that turned them into very ordinary tanks. Nice, but not extraordinary. And I've seen small tanks with a very special scape that really made it unique and special. And those tanks have often had the tank built around the scape, not had the scape fit inside the tank if you know what I mean? Or at least the scape had that effect when you looked at it. It fit perfectly for that size and shape of tank.

If I was in your shoes I would try and come up with a really cool concept idea for a scape first, then design the tank around that. A large central tree stump in a cubish tank. A long thick gnarly horizontal branch in a rectangular tank. A clear single theme to carry the design of the tank.

What I often see from in situ pictures from frog habitats but that I've rarely seen used in vivariums is the thick moss covered bamboo trunks. I could see a very nice cool scape from that. Back corner made up of a small "grove" of bamboo trunks with some nice mosses and liverworths? Maybe with a toppled over more horizontal trunk for some good brom real estate?

Just a few thoughts from the top of my head.
Lake likes this.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:36 AM

I'm right on Lake Erie so I have an unlimited supply of drift wood. I use it heavily in my tank and I think it looks pretty nice. I'm actually happy with the way my current tank looks (maybe more broms though), but its just a regular old 75 gal on a stand.

On my next build I am going to take much more time planning the scape and plant selection, but I wanted something a bit more 'out of the box' as far the the presentation of the tank. That's why I'm leaning more towards an 'in the wall" like a living picture, or a cube in the middle of the room (i can plumb into the basement for the mister). Anything special or unusual really.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:44 PM

I'm still a relative noob to all of this, but I'll share my current long-term tank build dream in the hopes that someone might do it first and give me a good guide to follow.

I love the idea of a tank that's designed to be viewed from at least three sides in a central area of a home. I'm thinking of something jutting out perpendicular from a wall into a room, and 100-150 gallons or so. No backgrounds at all, but a central ridge of imitation rock absolutely covered with broms. I'm thinking of something very much like the foreground of this video: https://youtu.be/SuUQZwNo0Ls

The central rocks would have to slope down to substrate and leaf litter on all sides for the sake of frog habitat needs. That much rock would have to be some kind of imitation, and I'm not sure the best method to use for something like that. I've seen a few variations but I don't recall seeing any that would produce dark rock like that. But it's very striking! If anyone tries something like this I'd love to see how it works out.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:25 AM

Here is my in the wall build. I am still working on it. The bottom is finished but i am still designing the top 2. The whole outside it going to be finished in cherry wood.

Encyclia likes this.