Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jskinner097
  • 1 Post By FrogTim
  • 1 Post By jskinner097

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 AM

Default Back to the Hobby Build / First Post

Hi, all!

I have been lurking here on dendroboard for years and made an account a few months ago as I prepared to get back into the hobby. A few years back I started out with a group of 5 R. variabilis in an 18x18x24 exo terra. Being my first build, I was never happy with the tank. Pair this with the fact that the variabilis did not end up being the bold frogs I thought they would be and I ultimately ended up selling the tank and getting out of the the hobby for a few years. In that time I dove further into the reefing hobby and ultimately ended up interested in darts again. I got a free 29 gallon from a friend and decided I wanted to try my hand at a group of azureus which have been everything I had wanted in a frog and I couldn’t not be happier.

I decided to go a different route than I had in the past and went with the drylok method for the background. I ended up using some ghost wood I had lying around for the background and was pretty happy with the results. I will probably be using this method in the future. Here is the tank in its earliest stages.

About a month later I added a group of 4 approx. 3 month old D. tinctorius azureus that I got from Josh's Frog's at the Reptile Super Show in San Diego and it has been mainly smooth sailing since. I have been using a finnex planted plus LED light and it seems to be growing the plants very well aside from the sheet moss i added originally which i believe was just getting shaded out by the bromeliad. I am currently experimenting with growing baby tears from seeds, java moss, and Riccia fluitans to see what I can get to carpet. Here is the tank roughly 4 months down the road. I am very pleased with how things have gone and my choice of frogs and am (not so) patiently waiting for the frogs to be sexually matured and split into hopefully two pairs if I am so lucky.

scrumpydc and FrogTim like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Back to the Hobby Build / First Post

Nice set up and great choice of frogs. While considered 'common' in the hobby, azureus are stunning frogs and always are a crowd favorite.

I'm glad you're giving the hobby another go. Applying experience on a new build is always satisfying. Especially after learning from your previous mistakes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gavin9713 likes this.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:26 PM

I’m glad I gave it a second shot, too. It has just gone much more smoothly this time around. The hardest part has definitely been fighting the urge to start more tanks.
FrogTim likes this.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:40 AM

Tank looks amazing especially with the little pond in the corner.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:11 AM

Love this setup. I may have to borrow this corner pond idea for future setups!
Old 11-16-2019, 12:52 AM

Nice job on the background and placement of driftwood. And fantastic job overall !
Old 11-19-2019, 04:15 AM

I think the little pond area contributes a lot to the natural look I was going for and makes it super easy to drain the tank (which I haven't had to do very much). I am waiting for the Ficus pumila cutting to explode in growth and hopefully cover the background eventually now that it seems to have settled in and started growing. I know a lot of people don't like how it can take over a tank, but I actually really like the look. We will see how badly it chokes out the other plants in time. On another note, the baby tears seeds I tossed in the tank have sprouted and seem to be dong very well! We will see if they stand the test of time. I like the "natural" look they have mixed in with the leaf litter. The goal is for them to (eventually) form a carpet on the left side near the pond if all goes well!

Last edited by jskinner097; 11-19-2019 at 04:21 AM. Reason: image issue
Old 11-20-2019, 02:49 AM

Great design and it looks really natural!
Old 11-29-2019, 04:11 PM

Very nice tank. I like the look of the baby tears. Do they hold up over time or take over the tank.

Tags
29 gallon, azureus, build, first post