• 1 Post By FrogTim
  • 1 Post By Gavin9713
  • 1 Post By Gavin9713
  • 1 Post By FrogTim
  • 1 Post By FrogTim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 06:14 PM

Default Rebuilding after the collapse

After an unfortunate rack accident, I find myself having to replace all but 1 of my tanks and various electrical devices.

I'm starting to see this as a blessing in disguise since it's renewed my interest in the hobby. I'm taking the opportunity to apply the knowledge I've gained over the years in vivarium building as well as thin out my collection to focus on frogs that bring me the most joy and possibly get one or two species of 'bucket list' frogs (highland sirensis?)

I've learned a lot in terms of vivarium construction over the years. I'm going to focus on aesthetically pleasing set ups that benefit the frogs. In the past my tanks were over planted, over lit and didn't take into account what would be viewable from their position on the rack.

Cost, construction, simplicity and consideration for my neighbors are all factors since I'm building these in an upstairs apartment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Encyclia, Gavin9713 and Lucano like this.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Rebuilding after the collapse

First of the two 12x18s I got in a trade. Cork mosaic background with pond and stone sealant foam.

I siliconed scrap pieces of PVC I had laying around to anchor the foam to the glass. Pieces of cork were pushed down as the foam expanded to prevent the background from consuming too much volume. I plan on cutting the excess foam out and siliconing Coco to the exposed foam. Contemplating cutting the foam with a wire hanger heated on the stove. I have carving.

I purposely created cork ledges to increase useable area for the frogs. I also made sure not to put anything too high up to optimize viewing and to prevent the lid from being overgrown like my other tanks.

I will only use 2-3 small neogregalia on the background and mounted on the ledges. Again, not too high up and placed to maximize space for frogs and viewing. Other plants will be selaginella unicata, Korean black rabbits foot fern, marcravia rectiflora and moss. I don't want any large, fast growing plants to take over. I also have a couple random orchids

So far I'll only have to buy silicone, great stuff and glass inserts for the lid. Everything else I have laying around to complete these 2 12x18s

Lucano likes this.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 PM

i like a couple of your terrariums, i want to try your ledge idea on some of my terrariums

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
FrogTim likes this.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin9713 View Post
i like a couple of your terrariums, i want to try your ledge idea on some of my terrariums

Thanks. I try to maximize useable space while still retaining internal volume. A lot of tanks have a background that uses 1/3 of the tanks entire volume. I'm trying to be more efficient

Old 11-11-2019, 02:48 AM

i completely understand, seems counterproductive to have a massive soil and drainage layer along with a super thick background, wastes so much space that the frogs could be using

FrogTim likes this.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:12 AM

The fiance was away so what better time to make a mess? Carving, silicone and background which was tree fern fiber and Coco coir.

Skipping ahead several days to where I put the false bottom in. PVC pipe is gorilla glued in place. Drainage is washed perlite with screen glued into place. River pebbles cover the front area so I can easily drain the tank if needed. Thin layer of abg was added on top of drainage layer.

I used a roll of black shelf paper to do the sides, back and bottom. First time completely doing the sides. Tanks look smaller but cleaner. Supposedly better for the frogs too.

Amazing what a few years in the hobby had me stockpiled with. Besides the silicone, all mentioned items I had in my closet. I don't know if that's a boast or just sad...

More hardscape, leaf litter, custom lids, etc to come.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:11 AM

Shelf paper installed.

Encyclia likes this.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 AM

Silicone has cured and my bromeliads came in! Still have to add some cork pieces and leaf litter. The plants can establish in the meantime.

Seeded with springtails and dwarf white isopods. I haven't had any issues, but I'll stave off from seeding ranitomeya tanks with my powder orange isopods from now on. Too big IMO.

You can really tell which tanks are new.

Lucano likes this.
Old Today, 12:54 AM

A lot has happened in a couple weeks. I have 5 new tanks coming so I'll be converting to 3 levels on my rack and ridding myself the last broken tank and replacing the giant unintentionally mixed tank.

Also had an opportunity to get one of my 'bucket list' frogs locally that I couldn't pass up. Normally I'd let a tank grow in at least a month but....

Was nervous the sirensis would be too loud for my needs but pleasantly surprised so far. Audible, but pleasant and soft.