No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Punjab
  • 2 Post By Punjab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:51 PM

Default My 50 Gallon

Did some pruning and clearing out today to mark my tank's five year anniversary.
Took some pictures and figured I'd post them.
Not the most photogenic setup but I have enjoyed it immensely throughout it's life.

I'm currently planning an extensive overhaul to change up the view. In terms of function it will mostly remain the same.
macg and Do_Gon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 09:33 PM

Default Re: My 50 Gallon

Removed a bunch more.

Pretty much down to just a couple orchids, some pepperomia, ferns, and moss. There is still a small piece of a pitcher plant that I think I'll leave.
The tincs seem happy to have some land back anyway.

This piece of tree, which makes up the majority of the structure in here, has just about completely broken down to decomposition. I'm not suprised by this but am planning to replace it with a large cypress knee.
For the back glass I can't decide if I want to paint one or two sides black or build a foam wall to create more surface area for plants the way most people do.
I kind of like the contrast between the plants inside and the rest of our living room so I'm hesitant to cover the glass at all.

The entire base of the tank is one giant aquarium base rock that fits just like so into the foot print of this tank. There is no substrate underneath, just bare bottom.
It makes it much easier to remove detritus that builds up in this 'drainage' area. Water changes are also easier this way.
On top of the rock, under the stump I built a thick layer of soil, coco fiber, shredded bark, and some trace amounts of completely broken down organic compost. Packed it onto the rock really tightly and then set the stump on top of that.
The stump is just a piece of Ponderosa Pine. I know this is not something anyone would recommend using but it's locally sourced, abundant, I already owned it, and has worked really well in this system apart from crumbling away this last year.

All I have in the water for circulation is a long bubble wand and an air pump churning things up along the back of the tank. Water is constantly being misted up along the back of the tank and the aeration keeps the water moving without the need for an entire pump in the tank.
I wanted to drill bulkheads but all five sides of the tank glass are tempered so this proves to work best.
I still hand mist every day.

The lighting is a single 250w metal halide bulb on a digital ballast. I change the bulb about every 10 months and usually run a 10000K temperature.

Thanks for looking!
BebopCola and RoryOMoore like this.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:51 PM

Looks good! What sort of Tincs are those?

Old 10-01-2019, 01:25 AM

Nice Viv are those inferalanis or Boulanger or??
Old 10-02-2019, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

They are tinctorius 'Bakhuis'.