Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Returning to the Hobby - 75G Build!

Hey everyone!

After taking a break from the hobby for a few years, I’m getting back on the horse. Previously, I’ve kept and bred leucomelas, auratus, and vittatus. Each in 20g or similar-sized tanks.

This time around, I’m setting up a 75g display tank. I’m here hoping to gather as many ideas as I can and nail down exactly what I’ll be doing with this tank before I actually start the building process at the end of next month.

I’m hoping to have this tank as automated as possible, so I’m planning on setting up an automatic mister, putting the lights on timers, etc. My main goal is to ensure whatever inhabitants I land on will be able to live as happy as possible, the tank will be as beautiful as possible, and I can keep my arms out of there as much as possible. Fingers crossed.

First things first, before I can start developing a scaping plan, I’ve gotta land on inhabitants! Im pretty open to suggestions, but I’m thinking I’d like to avoid any egg feeders. Other than that, I’m open to suggestions! If it were you setting up this tank with these parameters, what would you put in there and why?

Best,
Mark
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Welcome back! I am also currently working on a 75 gallon display vivarium:
https://www.dendroboard.com/#/topics/352734
And I have a different 75 gallon on the back burner as well:
https://www.dendroboard.com/#/topics/348732

Of all the frogs I've kept so far, leucomelas would be my choice for a large display vivarium. They are bold, colorful, do well in groups, and use all of the space.

Phyllobates terribilis is another good display frog, but I personally prefer something with more than one color and or a pattern. I expected P. aurotaenia to be bold but that hasn't been the case for me.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Returning to the Hobby - 75G Build!

It kind of depends what you're interested in.

Do you want many smaller frogs? Less but larger frogs?
Arboreal? Terrestrial?
Frog activity level? (Active/bold or shy?)

In a tank that size I would do a group of A. galactonotus worker red or orange, active, bold outgoing frogs (from what I've read, they're still on my wishlist)

Old 08-26-2019, 08:43 PM

@okapi- those are some incredible builds! Back when I had a breeding group of leucs, I felt the same way. They were probably the most active frogs I’ve owned and they really did use the entire tank space pretty well.

They’re also the largest species I’ve kept (maybe rivaled by my Vittatus). I did really, really love my Chazuta bunch (pictured in my avatar) and they warmed up to me pretty well. We could whistle back and forth on-demand and I thought they had a beautiful call, and were overall gorgeous frogs.

But because I’ve always kept moderately small frogs, azureus and tincs are alluring for me with such a big space to offer, especially with the horizontal nature of the 75. However, I’d really love to keep something that would better utilize the vertical space in the tank.

If nothing else, because this is a display tank first and foremost, I’m looking for frogs that have more vibrant colors and will actually be visible in the tank a lot of the time.

Leucs do sound nice to have again. I do like that they could be kept in larger groups and will use the whole tank space. I’m not terribly impressed with their patterns or the yellow and black color combination in general, but personality-wise, they’re ideal.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:40 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Returning to the Hobby - 75G Build!

You are not far from here:

American Frog Day : Home

I've been @ 10 of these and they are excellent for the hobby and a great place to get all types of frogs straight from the breeders. You will be amazed.