Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thekla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Default New viv and a couple of questions

When I got my pair of D. tinctorius Brazil as froglets, I housed them in an Exo Terra Habisphere. Now, that they're becoming adults, I set up a new viv.

It's 32"x16"x20" (although the actual height is less than 20" because of the false bottom and underground).
It has a ventilation strip at the bottom front and a 6" wide mesh strip on the top, which is mostly covered with glass (but I'm able to regulate the ventilation by just removing some of the glass plates).
There're also 3 nozzles for my misting system and 2 skylights that run for 13 hours/day including an hour break around midday to give the plants a rest.

A month ago I put the plants in, but as some didn't survive the initial setup, I put in some new plants (mainly creeping plants) about a week ago.

The viv is seeded with springtails and some isopods (dwarf whites and powder blues) and has two water bowls (one small monkeypod and a bigger shallow pot saucer). My frogs love to sit in water every now and then.

Temperature goes from 22C (in the night) to about 25C (maybe 26C on very hot days), it'll probably be a tad colder in the winter months. Humidity stays nicely between 75-85% (measured at the middle of the front), up to 90% right after mistings. Temperature and humidity might vary throughout the viv though.

Here are some pics:

Generally, I'd like to know if this would be okay for my frogs? Or are there any adjustments I should make?

Also, I'm a bit concerned about the plants whether they're ready for my frogs or not. Some of you told me I shouldn't worry too much about cycling time and just get on with it. So, should I?

As for the water bowls, I normally use tap water treated with Reptisafe, but I wondered if it might be beneficial to put a bit of tadpole tea in it as well to prevent some of the obligatory bacterial growth. I'll be changing the water every or every other day, of course.

Last question for now: Will my frogs be bothered by the hour of no artificial light around midday? I just mean I read it's good for the plants giving them a rest to break down some of the oxygen radicals building up over the day, but I don't want my frogs to think it's night time already.

Thanks a lot in advance for any comments, opinions or advice you can give me.

Last edited by Thekla; 08-11-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Default Re: New viv and a couple of questions

It shouldnít bother the frogs to have no artificial light for an hour or even longer, especially if there is ambient light. Lights are more for the plants and our viewing pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Eruantien For This Useful Post:
Thekla (08-11-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM

Thanks. One thing less to worry about.

I'll probably rehouse my frogs at some point this week if no one chimes in and tells me what horrible plan that is.

I just hope they like their new home.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:09 PM

No problem.

In an attempt to answer your other questions..

In the past I have added frogs pretty early after planting the tank. Generally however, in those cases the plants had been in my possession for some time and in other enclosures without animals in them; I knew or was at least very confident that I wasnít going to be introducing something unwanted. That is the main reason we wait on introducing inhabitants, treat or quarantine plants to make sure they are okay to use. I personally wait about 3 months before adding any vertebrates to a planted tank and make sure the microfauna population is good and strong before as well. I assume this is what you are asking in regard to your plants being ready.. if you are concerned about the frogs affecting the plants acclimating to the new enclosure, you will be fine here as well.

As for the water, I have never personally used reptisafe. I strictly only use RO water for misting and donít generally use water bowls. If you are going to be flushing or refilling the bowl every other day Iím also unsure on the need to add the tea. This is also a practice that I am unfamiliar with though and maybe someone else can chime in on that part.

In regard to your frogs liking the new space, Iím sure they will love it. The tank looks good and is much bigger than the habisphere.

Good luck and keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to Eruantien For This Useful Post:
Thekla (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 04:27 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Most of the plants are in the viv for over a month now, only three were added a week ago, but all plants have been processed before entering the viv.
I was actually more concerned that they weren't sturdy/rooted enough to withstand my frogs.

As for the water, it was just an idea that it could be beneficial to add tadpole tea into the water area, I actually never read it myself before. I use distilled water for misting and treated water for the water bowls, so it doesn't lack minerals. I read you should never use distilled water directly with frogs. Is this wrong?

I'm not sure why my pics are not showing up anymore...

Just to be sure, here's the pic of the viv again
Encyclia likes this.

Last edited by Thekla; 08-13-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:49 PM

Distilled water should be frog safe. Itís deionized water you shouldnít use if I am not mistaken.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruantien View Post
Distilled water should be frog safe. Itís deionized water you shouldnít use if I am not mistaken.
Correct me if I'm wrong but is distillation not supposed to remove minerals and salts from water, therefore removing all ions as well?

Anyway, I rehoused my tincs on Tuesday and so far they seem to like their new surroundings. They still stay mostly in the more sheltered part behind the big root...

but they come out as well... especially when there're flies involved.

Originally, I called them Ernie and Bert, but now, it's Erna...

... and Bert:

Old 08-16-2019, 09:52 PM

Both (water distilled by reverse osmosis, and water prepared by passing over anionic and cationic deionizing resins) are safe for frogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruantien View Post

- Whitman