Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SMenigoz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 11:26 AM

Default Moved my collection from Frederick MD to Chapin SC

For those who don't know me, I've been around DB a while although I practice restraint posting. In the past, I've hosted Mid Atlantic Dendro meetings at my house, and consider myself a regular vendor at most frog venues on the East Coast.
It was time for a change.
Quit my job for a pharmaceutical manufacturing company, sold our house in MD and purchased a home in Chapin, SC, although not necessarily in that order. Wife did the same.
The collection was, at its peak, over 100 tanks with some rather large tanks. That was pared down to about 40 Exos. Rented a 15' U-haul on the hottest day in July, hired two guys from People Ready, and packed it "snug". Purchased some sheets of 3/4" foam sheets to place on floor as well as double deckering some smaller tanks.
Lessons learned? Traveling at night is better for temperature sensitive animals in a non-temp controlled metal box. I placed three coolers with bags of ice throughout the space.
Many of my Exos had the top screens replaced with glass siliconed in place. Several of these "failed" in the move and I found glass panels sitting in the tanks when at our destination. Only two frogs got out, nd were easily returned to their tanks.
Hired two more People Ready guys on the SC side, and they did the grunt work carrying every tank in the house and up a flight of stairs. They earned every $ they got!
I did not remove frogs from tanks. I did provide foam support inside some tanks with more fragile wood features. Some tanks did suffer minor damage easily repaired.
Once frogs settled in, breeding has been occurring at a pace not seen in some time.
For those in the general area, look me up. Always looking to network with fellow frog geeks.
Philsuma and Encyclia like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMenigoz For This Useful Post:
Encyclia (Today), Philsuma (Today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Moved my collection from Frederick MD to Chapin SC

Hi, Scott! Just wanted to congratulate you on the the successful move. I have fond memories of your Dendro basement! I'm actually moving to Asheville, NC at the end of the year. Don't know how far that is from Chapin, But maybe I'll catch you at a con or something down the line. Take care!

- Josh Leisenring
Old Today, 05:35 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Moved my collection from Frederick MD to Chapin SC

Good for you Scott and bad for us Mid Atlantic peeps.

This year's frog day in White Plains NY -Sept 21 is going to be excellent. MUCH larger than Atlanta and previous shows if the signs are true! No pressure, but would be nice to see you. Chris Sherman and I will share a vendor table.

I know how you like to drive long distances, so...

American Frog Day : Home

~Phil