No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hp192
  • 1 Post By narnythegreat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 05:03 PM

Default Rescue Azureus frogs (5)

So you may or may not have seen my post in the beginners section regarding my taking in 5 Azureus PDFs. While I am new to frogs I'm not new to the commitment of proper animal husbandry. I thought I would post some pictures, get some feedback, thoughts and opinions as I am new and welcome all constructive criticism.

The stock of the situation are this...

20 gallon tote loaded with plants/ barriers moss leaves vines etc. Considering their previous "habitat" this is like living in Trump Tower or the Four Seasons or Buckingham Palace. In my beginners post I said that they were in approximately a 5 gallon tank however I don't really think that that's how big it was I'm pretty sure it was much smaller than that.

During the day the temperature inside gets to be about 77 degrees and it currently has a 99% humidity. This morning when I check the tote it got to be around 70 degrees and the humidity was still 99%.

Lights are set up on a 12 hour timer.
And feeding starts around 10:30 am. I am going to slowly push that back to 12 or 1 in the afternoon as I will be taking classes in the fall I won't be able to feed them until around lunch.

Please keep in mind that this is a temporary housing situation.

https://we.tl/b-LtKyIrTUkN
(Hoping I did the shared links properly&#x1f91e

I didn't want to rush a permanent set up in the time that I had available. So I'm keeping them in this temporary housing unit for about a month or until I see any kind of behavioural issues that would cause me to move them.

I am currently working on their new house/ terrarium. I am not sure that all five will be able to stay together long terms. As I am unsure of the sexes.

On that note I was told that these frogs were about three to four months old as she got the frogs just as they were starting to lose their tails and told me she had them for 2 months. One of them shows strong indications of being a female (to me). Is it too early to see characteristics of this nature? Everything I've read says you can't tell until about 10 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Rescue Azureus frogs (5)

Yes, too early to tell for certain what their sexes are. Time of day to feed them isn't all that important in my experience so long as the proper supplementation and frequency is taken care of. If you have any questions on supplementation there's loads of information on that here.

Go ahead and post pictures of the setup when you can and welcome!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:34 PM

Those are some fancy temporary digs. Nice work :-) I tend to have doubts about sexing tincs until they are closer to a year. This is really early. You might be right, but it will be a lot easier to tell later on. Time of day is not important, but I do find that keeping it consistent will encourage them to come out and eat while the supplements are still on the flies. If it's random times, they may not have that feeding response every time. Also, make sure you are feeding sometime during when the lights are on (even if the sun is your light :-)

Mark

Old 07-30-2019, 07:07 PM

With regards to the feeding, you also don't need to feed them every day.

I'd be surprised if you notice behavioral issues. As long as the temporary (and permanent) housing is large enough and has enough hide spots (leaves, plants, etc...) they should be fine.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 PM

Yeah at the time I didn't really know how long the "temporary housing" was going to be. I'm still not 100% sure on that time frame. As luck would have it this past weekend the Repticon was in town and I was able to buy a kit from the bio dude which happens to have a store about 5 minutes from me. That was just luck!

I also used to keep saltwater aquariums and currently keep a panther chameleon and an Indian Ringneck so animal supplies and whatnots we're not difficult to come by LOL.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

The five have names. Their names are Azul, Skittle, Six, Ten and Jay.

I have uploaded a few pictures with their names.

https://we.tl/b-LtKyIrTUkN

After a few days of only seen four of them ( and honestly I mostly only ever saw Azul and Skittles) I started to get really concerned for the one who is now known as a Jay.

Because they weren't in any kind of quarantine tank it was very difficult to keep track of them and who is and is not eating. So I got nervous after reading about skinny frogs and I took the temporary tank apart and separated all five of them into three different groups.

I found the frogs naturally paired themselves off which was cool and interesting.

Skittle and Azul spend most of their time together while Six and Ten spent most of their time together. And Jay was never seen.

So terrarium totes are broken up into threes.

And Jay, I have seen more now in the last couple of hours then I have the entire time he's been in my house in the other terrarium tote which is amazing.

So glad that I did this!

So now I'm going to re-evaluate how I originally had the terrariums planned. I'm thinking a shelf that will hold 2 40 gallon breeder tanks and then a smaller tank for Jay if the current tank has a problem.
Encyclia likes this.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

And by 2, 40 gallon breeder tanks I mean the open door terrariums.
Old Today, 08:19 PM

Looks like a fine enclosure to me! If the new ones are anything like that, they might even work out long-term. As long as darts have plenty of hiding spots and enough room to move, it doesn't matter how it looks to humans.