Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TeddytheFinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 05:06 PM

Default My first terrarium

Hi everyone, I just wanted to show my tank. This isy first one I've done and it's been fun to see everything grow. Right now it's just plants, but that might change in the future. All in all m pretty happy with it. I've had some plants die off probably because it's a bit wet. So if you have plants that I should look into I'd like to have more suggestions! Btw this is a 40g breeder.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Encyclia and Do_Gon like this.

Last edited by TeddytheFinger; 06-04-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Re: My first terrarium

Not sure why that photo messed up....

Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM

Looks good, what is your background made of? Any plans for dart frogs in there?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Hi Teddy
That's a nice terrarium. I really like the mossy logs and the Selaginella. If you want some plant suggestions I would put some Ficus pumilia var. quercifolia (oak leaf ficus) on the background. It will eventually make a wall of foliage on the background and has a nice leaf shape. It also doesn't grow as fast as regular Ficus pumilis.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrap View Post
Looks good, what is your background made of? Any plans for dart frogs in there?
Thanks! Not yet, I've got a lot more research, and wife convincing, before I can look into those. That background is coco fiber. Don't judge me, but it's zip tied to an egg crate background. I was hoping for the ivy plants to cover the background....eventually....

Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Ostergaard View Post
Hi Teddy

That's a nice terrarium. I really like the mossy logs and the Selaginella. If you want some plant suggestions I would put some Ficus pumilia var. quercifolia (oak leaf ficus) on the background. It will eventually make a wall of foliage on the background and has a nice leaf shape. It also doesn't grow as fast as regular Ficus pumilis.
Thanks, Benjamin! Ill have to look into that one. I have the, normal?, Not oak leaf ficus. It's growing pretty good! I have 2 different kinds of ivys growing in there too.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 PM

The normal Ficus pumilia can look pretty cool as a background. However it grows so fast that you might never be able to get rid of it! It also has the potential to choke out other plants.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
The normal Ficus pumilia can look pretty cool as a background. However it grows so fast that you might never be able to get rid of it! It also has the potential to choke out other plants.
Yea I've read that, I'll doy best to control what I can. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-06-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Yea I've read that, I'll doy best to control what I can. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-06-2019, 05:07 AM

Greetings,

This is a fine first viv. You've selected some common plants in the hobby that are pretty robust and tolerant of different setups. I'm a big fan of club mosses too - I've grown all of the plants you have in there.

A few things: Did you take this picture shortly after watering? If not, you should adjust your schedule since none of the plants in your tank want consistently wet leaves (humidity is good, prolonged surface wetness is bad).

Your main plants, the Maranta and the larger fern, could each easily fill your viv all alone when they're happy (see re: wet leaves above) - as could the Hedera sp (ivy). The ivy is the one you might want to reconsider - it can be very aggressive and it grows strong stems and roots which can make it a pain to extract without disrupting the stuff around it. It would be perfectly happy as a houseplant outside the viv.

It looks like you have some clover in there too - probly came as a hitchhiker on plants or other natural bits. The have explosive seed pods and can spread rapidly so keep a eye on them.

I'm a big fan of club mosses and the Selaginella you've got are some of my favorite plants in my early vivs. The can quickly shade out small plants around them but they will love it in a humid viv - and their color and shape are nice enough to be worth the effort in trimming them.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
Greetings,

This is a fine first viv. You've selected some common plants in the hobby that are pretty robust and tolerant of different setups. I'm a big fan of club mosses too - I've grown all of the plants you have in there.

A few things: Did you take this picture shortly after watering? If not, you should adjust your schedule since none of the plants in your tank want consistently wet leaves (humidity is good, prolonged surface wetness is bad).

Your main plants, the Maranta and the larger fern, could each easily fill your viv all alone when they're happy (see re: wet leaves above) - as could the Hedera sp (ivy). The ivy is the one you might want to reconsider - it can be very aggressive and it grows strong stems and roots which can make it a pain to extract without disrupting the stuff around it. It would be perfectly happy as a houseplant outside the viv.

It looks like you have some clover in there too - probly came as a hitchhiker on plants or other natural bits. The have explosive seed pods and can spread rapidly so keep a eye on them.

I'm a big fan of club mosses and the Selaginella you've got are some of my favorite plants in my early vivs. The can quickly shade out small plants around them but they will love it in a humid viv - and their color and shape are nice enough to be worth the effort in trimming them.
Thanks, kimcmich for the advice! I took out the ivy and pulled up the clover. I wanted to try something else anyways! I dont mind have to trim every now and then. I've been wanting to get some macgravia to replace the ivy. Or maybe some African violets.