Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 AM

Default ExoTerra Paludarium

Just put "finished" constructing an exo terra 18X18X24 Paludarium. The fake rock background was made from great stuff and coated in hydraulic concrete and then painted with acrylic paint (sealed with a nontoxic sealer). It did not turn out 100% as I hoped but overall I am pleased with it. The waterfall proved difficult to control but I love the trickling sound affect. It does not have any darts due to the deep water section but I'd love some recommendations on inhabitants and any fish that might do well in the small water volume. I'd also appreciate suggestions on other plants to add. Currently I have 5 bromeliads, 2 tillandsias and 2 small ferns I found at home depot (not sure of the species). Appreciate any feedback you guys might have!

P.S. anyone know why my photos upload sideways??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1083.jpg (84.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1084.jpg (87.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1085.jpg (95.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1087.jpg (100.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1088.jpg (98.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1098.jpg (73.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1102.jpg (78.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1103.jpg (98.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1109.jpg (78.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1123.jpg (94.2 KB, 73 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 02:11 PM

Default Re: ExoTerra Paludarium

I really like the way the background turned out. I have to admit that when I saw the early pictures of the black pond GS, it looked like it has always looked when I used it - like a pile of big, wide, wet spaghetti :-) The way you carved it, though, really brought it to life. I don't have much experience with tank inhabitants for a paludarium, so I will let others comment on that.

Mark
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM

How did you attach those rocks to the shoreline and the waterfall? Are they small pieces of slate just siliconed on are is it more painted GS?

Old 05-10-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I really like the way the background turned out. I have to admit that when I saw the early pictures of the black pond GS, it looked like it has always looked when I used it - like a pile of big, wide, wet spaghetti :-) The way you carved it, though, really brought it to life. I don't have much experience with tank inhabitants for a paludarium, so I will let others comment on that.

Mark
Hi Mark! Thanks for the comment. The GS is really messy but my technique was to apply way more than I needed and carve it away once it dried. It was actually pretty easy to carve and shape into rocks. Not sure if the Pond and Stone GS is a different consistency than the Gaps and Cracks.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
How did you attach those rocks to the shoreline and the waterfall? Are they small pieces of slate just siliconed on are is it more painted GS?
Hi! They are small pieces of slate stone that I bought on Amazon and I just siliconed them to the eggcrate. The water can still pass through the cracks but the rocks do a great job of covering the ugly plastic eggcrate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Markblank13 For This Useful Post:
Pitbull (05-12-2019)