Dendroboard banner

Vertical Corner Display

8K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  fishingguy12345 
#1 ·
Figured it was finally time to share my latest build, a 18x18x36 Exo, that I finished in November. I wanted this one to have as much usable space for the inhabitants as possible without sacrificing viewing areas so I went with a corner design with the wood features extending out, adding as much depth as possible. It's difficult to capture all of the depth and details in person and I'm still working on my camera skills so bear with me. It just means this will be a pic heavy thread with (hopefully) progressively better pics.

The light I'm using is the AI Prime FW with a gooseneck extension because I wanted a tighter beam to focus downwards and into the enclosure with the ability to fully control and customize the settings. I've used it before on my other display and it hasn't disappointed again. I've gotten great growth from it using 5500K spectrum at 85%.

Inhabitants are currently in the works and will hopefully be added this spring. I will be announcing what they are when I get them.

Current plant list:

Orchids
Anathallis minutalis
Dryadella cristata
Epidendrum polybulbon
Lepanthes calodictyon
Lepanthes dictydion
Lepanthes gargoyla
Lepanthes telipogoniflora
Platystele umbellata
Specklinia grobyi
Tricosalpinx chamelepanthes
Trisetella hoeijeri
Zootrophion griffon

Other:
Biophytum sensitivum
Begonia tropaeolifolia
Begonia pteridiformis
Elaphoglossum peltatum
Elaphoglossum No ID (possibly sp. 'Puyo')
Episcia sp.
Ficus villosa
Gesneriad sp. 'Sira Mountain'
Marcgravia sintenisii
Marcgravia umbellata
Microgramma vacciniifolia
Peperomia emargenella
Peperomia jamesoniana
Peperomia rotundifolia
Peperomia sp. 'Venezuela'
Philodendron micans
Philodendron serpens 'Type'
Philodendron serpens
Philodendron verrucosum
Pyrrosia flocculosa
Selaginella erythropus
Solanum sp. 'Columbia'
Solanum uleanum

Watching this grow in has been very rewarding and it surpassed what I had envisioned so I'm quite proud of it. I hope some of you enjoy this as much as I do.

Thanks for checking it out!

See less See more
#2 ·
Figured it was finally time to share my latest build, a 18x18x36 Exo, that I finished in November. I wanted this one to have as much usable space for the inhabitants as possible without sacrificing viewing areas so I went with a corner design with the wood features extending out, adding as much depth as possible. It's difficult to capture all of the depth and details in person and I'm still working on my camera skills so bear with me. It just means this will be a pic heavy thread with (hopefully) progressively better pics.

The light I'm using is the AI Prime FW with a gooseneck extension because I wanted a tighter beam to focus downwards and into the enclosure with the ability to fully control and customize the settings. I've used it before on my other display and it hasn't disappointed again. I've gotten great growth from it using 5500K spectrum at 85%.

Inhabitants are currently in the works and will hopefully be added this spring. I will be announcing what they are when I get them.

Current plant list:

Orchids

Anathallis minutalis

Dryadella cristata

Epidendrum polybulbon

Lepanthes calodictyon

Lepanthes dictydion

Lepanthes gargoyla

Lepanthes telipogoniflora

Platystele umbellata

Specklinia grobyi

Tricosalpinx chamelepanthes

Trisetella hoeijeri

Zootrophion griffon

Other:

Biophytum sensitivum

Begonia tropaeolifolia

Begonia pteridiformis

Elaphoglossum peltatum

Elaphoglossum No ID (possibly sp. 'Puyo')

Episcia sp.

Ficus villosa

Gesneriad sp. 'Sira Mountain'

Marcgravia sintenisii

Marcgravia umbellata

Microgramma vacciniifolia

Peperomia emargenella

Peperomia jamesoniana

Peperomia rotundifolia

Peperomia sp. 'Venezuela'

Philodendron micans

Philodendron serpens 'Type'

Philodendron serpens

Philodendron verrucosum

Pyrrosia flocculosa

Selaginella erythropus

Solanum sp. 'Columbia'

Solanum uleanum

Watching this grow in has been very rewarding and it surpassed what I had envisioned so I'm quite proud of it. I hope some of you enjoy this as much as I do.

Thanks for checking it out!

Awesome tank man. Just getting my Biophytum sensitivum in today. It can grow fine as an epiphyte?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks, appreciate it. To grow them like that I used Tropica Aqua Soil and pressed it into a clay, held the plant in position and then gently packed it onto the roots and surface. After that I just covered it with moss and haven't touched them since. So far it seems to be doing well.

#5 ·
Thanks, appreciate it. To grow them like that I used Tropica Aqua Soil and pressed it into a clay, held the plant in position and then gently packed it onto the roots and surface. After that I just covered it with moss and haven't touched them since. So far it seems to be doing well.
Awesome work as always dude, I'll have to steal that tip with the tropica aqua soil as I have a bunch myself.

#9 ·
Very nice! You have an impressive orchid list there.

I have the same tank and same light, I’m curious how you mounted the goose neck arm and still managed to enclose the top to keep critters in. The Prime is such a great light I’m surprised more don’t use it.

Nice work.

#10 ·
To be honest, I just wedged the arm between the side of the tank and the stand that's right next to it with my other viv's. It's held there pretty solid and it was just supposed to be like that until I figured out how to properly mount it....

And yes, I couldn't agree more. I've tried the Jungle Hobbies LED in the past as well; it's a sweet light and I got great growth from it, but I'd pick the Prime over that now for vertically oriented enclosures. It seems as if you get that "light punching through the canopy in the forest" look and feel.

Thank you for the compliments, I appreciate it!

#13 · (Edited)
As promised, here's a quick update of the tank and the rest of my wall. I'm really happy with how everything has progressed over the years and for the first time, I feel like its complete. We'll see how long that feeling lasts lol....

Starting from the top-left viv: 2.2 R. vanzolinii

Unsexed trio R. variabilis 'Highland' viv

2.0 R. imitator 'Chazuta' - Still looking for a female.... This enclosure is also pretty new. I originally built it to sell but I ended up liking it so much I couldn't let it go.

Corner Display

Custom 22x22x36 with a 2.1 O. pumilio 'Salt Creek' - I got this 2 weeks ago for a wicked deal (2.1/viv/stand, all together) but it was insanely overgrown and had a really cramped feel. I took advantage of the frogs not being in it because of transport so I gave it a little TLC and completely replanted it, except for the fern, to expose more of the background in a way that it wouldn't lose depth like it had before.

Thanks for checking things out.

#20 ·
Eight months after I finished planting this viv I can now happily (and finally) say that it has inhabitants! It is now home to a 0.0.3 R. uakarii 'Gold Leg' trio, with a fourth to be added in the coming weeks.

They're still adjusting to things but are exploring every inch of their enclosure. I managed to snap a few pics whenever I caught a glimpse of them. Some are through the glass and some I managed to sneak into the tank and take, but I tried to do them justice. Easily the most beautiful frogs in my collection now.

No flash, lower angled shot.

With flash, slightly higher than the previous picture.

Top right of the tank next to M. sintenisii.

Looking through the right mid-section of the tank through the glass, perched on Z. griffon.

After a leap further up the protruding branch.

Thanks for checking things out!

#23 ·
Here's some pictures of things today with a few extras of my other enclosures/inhabitants.

The display during its mid-day lighting peak. I raised the light a few inches just to see if I would get different growth results and I think I found the sweet spot for everything.

B. tropaeolifolia crept up from where I initially planted it and is making its home here. Excited to see this spread.

Out on the Philo. serpens 'Type' during sunset

R. vanzolinii, variabilis 'Highland' and imitator 'Chazuta' vivs.

Hoping these two turn out to be a 1.1

Suspected female 'Highland'

Thanks for looking!

#25 ·
Here's some pictures of things today with a few extras of my other enclosures/inhabitants.

The display during its mid-day lighting peak. I raised the light a few inches just to see if I would get different growth results and I think I found the sweet spot for everything.

B. tropaeolifolia crept up from where I initially planted it and is making its home here. Excited to see this spread.

Out on the Philo. serpens 'Type' during sunset

R. vanzolinii, variabilis 'Highland' and imitator 'Chazuta' vivs.

Hoping these two turn out to be a 1.1

Suspected female 'Highland'

Thanks for looking!
You have some amazing setups. Thanks for sharing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.