• 1 Post By indrap
  • 1 Post By indrap
  • 1 Post By indrap
  • 2 Post By indrap
  • 2 Post By indrap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Default My Current WIPs

Hey guys, I have a few projects on the go right now. They are taking longer because of the weather where in Canada, making it hard to get plants right now. I'm waiting on a big bromeliad shipment currently and some other goodies Anyways, here's what I have (uninhabited right now).

18x18x18. It is going to be home to a trio of oophaga pumilio 'popa'. I have a few bromeliads and film canisters in here, and the bromeliads will get larger as they age. It still needs one more med-large bromeliad in the corner though I reckon.

12x12x18. This is going to be home to a pair of some kind of thumbnail. Undecided as to what. Still needs a couple bromeliads, and I'm thinking about putting some kind of gobenia in there. Not too sure though. I'm generally not as happy with this one, but maybe I'll be more satisfied once there's broms to fill up the space.

18x18x24. This is my newest build, just started last week. I snagged a bunch of cool driftwood pieces for really cheap, and made a cool looking tree structure out of them. I also used black matala as the drainage layer to try something new. This is gonna be home to some kind of oophaga pumilio. Right now, I am thinking about salt creek. The philodendron I have in there right now will probably be switched out for philodendron verrucosum. There will be a few mini orchids in here later.

Lastly, I have an empty 24x18x24 that's just being used as a plant nursery. I'll be doing something with it later in the year. Thanks for looking, hope you guys enjoyed. I'll be updating this thread semi frequently
Encyclia likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 09:20 PM

I really appreciate the first with wood as the main floor.

What’s the background on the first?
Old 03-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPfarr View Post
I really appreciate the first with wood as the main floor.

What’s the background on the first?
I actually got Phil Ramos from green oasis to make the background. I believe it's made of foam and other materials, and drylok there was a lot of unused space so I thought the driftwood floor/hill helped fill it up a lot more to give the frogs more usable area.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 AM

Default Re: My Current WIPs

Just a little update, someone offered me a couple of unsexed ranitomeya variabilis southern a few weeks ago and I bit the bullet. They were on my short list so I'm glad I could pick them up. Right now they are in the 18in cube, but they will be moving into the 12x12x18 when I get the pumilio popa.

I've heard calling from one of them and the other is looking to be female, so hopefully I got lucky!

I put together the 24x18x24 with mostly whatever I had left laying around, so this is my last build for a while. Im still waiting for good weather to ship plants and a couple of the other vivs also need some more plants. Anyways I'm going to let the 24x18x24 do its thing for a week to build up humidity before I do anything to it. I have some dusk moss coming in from the states so we'll see how that goes

The cat loves the frog rack

Also, I snagged a few mini orchids during a sale! I'm pretty good at killing sensitive plants, so hopefully this goes well. The first one someone gave to me and its constantly in bloom. Not sure what it is tho

Last edited by indrap; 03-18-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 PM

Beautiful setups thanks for sharing. Love the frog rack.
indrap (03-18-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:46 AM

Hey, what kind of rack do you use?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
Hey, what kind of rack do you use?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk
It's just an industrial one I found at costco in canada, not sure what the actual model is. The dimensions are 4ftx18inx6ft and cost like 80 CAD so it wasnt a bad deal. I'll let you know the model and brand if i see it again.

Also as an update:
Did some initial planting of the 24x18x24 using moss from my old viv. I also moved the mini orchids into here. Still need way more plants 😞

The 18in cube is growing really well, everything is taking off. The marcgravia has grown a ton and the microfauna is flourishing. It'll be ready for the isla popa in a week or so.

I was talking to someone locally and I'll be getting a punta laurel trio, and a salt creek pair (all juveniles) in a couple months, so the 18x18x24 and 24x18x24 will house them.
The Following User Says Thank You to indrap For This Useful Post:
Bengt (03-23-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 08:48 PM

Got the isla popa, they are crazy bold frogs despite their size. I've only had them for a few days but they're always out. One of the females is constantly on the front of the glass. I got a trio, and it's looking like 1.2 (heard the possible male calling!)

andrewdingemans likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:29 PM

The Isla Popa's look great, and awesome there could possibly be a breeding pair. If you don't mind me asking, where are you sourcing the orchids, I'm in Toronto and Paramount in vancouver seems to be the only reliable source I can find.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdingemans View Post
The Isla Popa's look great, and awesome there could possibly be a breeding pair. If you don't mind me asking, where are you sourcing the orchids, I'm in Toronto and Paramount in vancouver seems to be the only reliable source I can find.
Thanks, I am mostly getting my orchids from people locally. However there is a place in edmonton called Ecouarium where I got some stuff during a sale. The owners are great to deal with. Maybe look around for orchid societies though or see when the orchid show is in your city. We have one in June, I cant imagine there not being one in Toronto of all places
andrewdingemans likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Still missing a few plants but heres an update of the salt creek vivarium (getting frogs around end of month). Still needs a few more plants but I think it's coming together

varanoid and BWeisy like this.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrap View Post
Still missing a few plants but heres an update of the salt creek vivarium (getting frogs around end of month). Still needs a few more plants but I think it's coming together

The picture (s) isn't working for me
Old 05-04-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
The picture (s) isn't working for me
Weird, I'm just using imgur. I attached as a pic now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190504_080458_839_1556989915474.jpg (62.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 06:14 PM

Love your tanks. Keep the updates coming!
indrap (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post
Love your tanks. Keep the updates coming!
Thanks you, I appreciate that!

Heres an old ish update of the tanks from my Instagram, I am getting the last few plants tomorrow so I will post tank updates when they are all in. The tank on the ground is going to be the new variabilis tank, i didnt like the way the old one turned out for them. I tried using drylok for this one so we'll see how it goes...
Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 AM

Here's a few update pictures

24x18x24 exoterra for a Punta laurel trio

18X18X24 exoterra for a salt creek pair

I really wanted a heavily planted look so theres lots of small plants here and there including rare ferns. I think the combination of everything to break up the textures really made the aesthetic I was going for and I'm pretty happy with these vivs.

Also, I learned my mistake with ficus pumila, but I really like the shape of the leaf so I'm using the dwarf version of the plant which grows at half the rate, and is half the size.

Lastly, I got a new isopod and springtail species, armadillidium klugii Montenegro, and pink springtails. Hoping they culture well for me!
Encyclia and fishingguy12345 like this.

Last edited by indrap; 05-16-2019 at 12:31 AM.