No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2019, 04:50 AM

Default Re: “Manoa”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
This is the inspiration for my setup. I'm from Oahu (Aiea) but now live in the mainland US. I've walked through different parts of Manoa Valley looking for PDF's after talking to someone about them on another forum years ago. Would love to see their natural environment. I did find a few tads, just never adults.

There are a bunch at Lyon Arboretum. I saw them on the trail near the stream and they have a bromeliad garden where you’ll see auratus hanging out with gold dust day gecko.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 02:25 PM

That would make sense as the last time I saw tads were when I was on the Manoa Falls Trail. The tads I noticed were in small pools that were off more on the pig trails rather than the highly traveled hiking path. The tads were still small, so at the time I didn't determine they were the local Auratus as I'm used to the local Cane Toad epidemic where I assume any tad is the baby of a Cane Toad.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a question, but I wonder how hard it would be to establish a new location of the invasive Auratus? I've got a few man made Japanese style outdoor ponds on my property and it would be neat to see some Auratus start up over there. I have a feeling that they would sadly become a snack to the Cane Toads I can't keep out of there.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
That would make sense as the last time I saw tads were when I was on the Manoa Falls Trail. The tads I noticed were in small pools that were off more on the pig trails rather than the highly traveled hiking path. The tads were still small, so at the time I didn't determine they were the local Auratus as I'm used to the local Cane Toad epidemic where I assume any tad is the baby of a Cane Toad.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a question, but I wonder how hard it would be to establish a new location of the invasive Auratus? I've got a few man made Japanese style outdoor ponds on my property and it would be neat to see some Auratus start up over there. I have a feeling that they would sadly become a snack to the Cane Toads I can't keep out of there.

So, you live on the mainland & you want to start an outdoor population of an invasive species in your area? Not a good idea. You should check with your state agriculture department on this. You have cane toads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-22-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
I wonder how hard it would be to establish a new location of the invasive Auratus? I've got a few man made Japanese style outdoor ponds on my property and it would be neat to see some Auratus start up over there.
It would be "neat" to see some more invasive animals?! WTF, man...

- Whitman
Old 10-22-2019, 03:29 AM

Just a note on semantics: From what I've heard, the auratus in Hawaii are currently classified as an Introduced Species, rather than an Invasive Species. The former denoting a species that has established a local population, but is not known to spread to a degree believed to cause damage to the environment, human economy or human health. (wikipedia for exact definitions)

That being said, if you introduce them to a new island, it'll be extremely difficult to predict if that introduction will result in them turning invasive in that environment.

Separate from reality, I do get a laugh imagining a scenario where they are introduced and aid in the destruction of friggen cane toads by poisoning them upon consumption.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macg View Post
Just a note on semantics: From what I've heard, the auratus in Hawaii are currently classified as an Introduced Species, rather than an Invasive Species. The former denoting a species that has established a local population, but is not known to spread to a degree believed to cause damage to the environment, human economy or human health. (wikipedia for exact definitions)
From USFWS:
"Potential impacts have been stated but no significant impact has been reported. Due to lack of information, the certainty of assessment is low. More information is needed to elevate the assessment to medium or high certainty." (emphasis mine)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rbz6IHTuJgeww4

Absence of evidence, and all that.

- Whitman
Old 10-22-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Separate from reality, I do get a laugh imagining a scenario where they are introduced and aid in the destruction of friggen cane toads by poisoning them upon consumption.
Sure, and then the auratus carry a previously undetected pathogen to Maryland, where the cane toads contract that pathogen, and then pass it to amphibians who move it down the east coast, where it eventually spreads into the Appalachians and infects amphibians there....

Ha ha.

- Whitman
Old 10-22-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
So, you live on the mainland & you want to start an outdoor population of an invasive species in your area? Not a good idea. You should check with your state agriculture department on this. You have cane toads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
It would be "neat" to see some more invasive animals?! WTF, man...
First off let me clarify, no no no no no! I don't want to do that back east in Maryland. I may have the land, but I'm not into spreading invasive species where they are not currently already lol. I was talking back home in Oahu. I've got property over there that I rent out to family that are still on the island. On the property are old Japanese style ponds that were built by my Grandfather, Uncle and my Dad that used to house my Grandfathers Koi. As others didn't want to maintain the Koi, they were re-homed and the ponds were restocked with smaller freshwater tropicals. I was just curious if the local Auratus could populate the grounds around the ponds there in Oahu.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Quote:
Sure, and then the auratus carry a previously undetected pathogen to Maryland, where the cane toads contract that pathogen, and then pass it to amphibians who move it down the east coast, where it eventually spreads into the Appalachians and infects amphibians there....

Ha ha.
I think you misunderstood. The scenario I found humorous was completely fabricated, and thus separate from the realities of species introduction.

The one you described is not humorous, and it was not what I was describing.

I don't believe I promoted introducing new species into foreign environments.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. The scenario I found humorous was completely fabricated, and thus separate from the realities of species introduction.

The one you described is not humorous, and it was not what I was describing.

I don't believe I promoted introducing new species into foreign environments.
I think I did understand, but overreacted. I have a hair trigger for invasive species, and I didn't intend any offense to you.

- Whitman
Old 10-23-2019, 02:15 AM

Default “Manoa”

Quote:
First off let me clarify, no no no no no! I don't want to do that back east in Maryland. I may have the land, but I'm not into spreading invasive species where they are not currently already lol. I was talking back home in Oahu. I've got property over there that I rent out to family that are still on the island. On the property are old Japanese style ponds that were built by my Grandfather, Uncle and my Dad that used to house my Grandfathers Koi. As others didn't want to maintain the Koi, they were re-homed and the ponds were restocked with smaller freshwater tropicals. I was just curious if the local Auratus could populate the grounds around the ponds there in Oahu.

If the property is in one of the valleys here on the island & gets a fair amount of rain as most of the valleys do, the property already has them hopping around. They really only become noticeable when it rains. I’ve seen in Kalihi, Manoa & Palolo valleys. Not sure about the windward side of the island but, wouldn’t doubt it. Leeward side too dry.

Tihsho likes this.

Last edited by BeastMaster; 10-23-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:26 AM

Default “Manoa”

Now for something different.
“Davis” from emerging froglet.

To current juvenile.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:07 PM

Are you culturing local bugs to keep these guys fed or are you culturing something standard like Hydei or Melanogaster? The reason I ask is that I know the island is filled with different insects and I'm curious on what they are feeding on naturally.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Are you culturing local bugs to keep these guys fed or are you culturing something standard like Hydei or Melanogaster? The reason I ask is that I know the island is filled with different insects and I'm curious on what they are feeding on naturally.

Melanogaster. Occasionally I’ll sweep an insect net over the grass in an open lot nearby for small insects.

The Following User Says Thank You to BeastMaster For This Useful Post:
Tihsho (10-24-2019)
Old Today, 09:19 AM

P sertularioides blossoms 1st observed this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E29D6A8D-ABAD-40D2-ABE3-FF786F99E1A0_1581671983725.jpg (17.3 KB, 3 views)