No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 AM

Default Re: 340 gallon, 36x48x48, build journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmi View Post
connecting the fan on the pi directly - will that not drain to much current?

I guess air flow through FAN and automatically controlling humidity will be very interesting. Do you try to blow air in from outside or let it only circulate in the tank?.

It won't be connected to the pi's power, it will have it's own power supply. But the speed will be controlled via PWM from the pi.

One fan will be just for internal air circulation. But I might hook one up sitting on top that can pull out air if needed. I guess I'll see how the passive ventilation works out together with temps etc.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropfrog View Post
Computer fans dont last too long in the humid environment. I have burned a few. I was thinking of switching to inline fan, but for my tank I cannot find any small enough. But for your tank its another story. Take a look at the 350g riparium thread. Looks good. And they are built for humid air.

Br

Magnus

I'll have a look! I think I saw a picture of the fan a couple of days ago.

It sucks to burn through equipment quickly from a sustainable standpoint. I do plan to have it easy accessible to be able to switch it out easily though.

Would be interesting if there anything you could do to it to make it stand up to humid air more.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:19 PM

I have had ok luck with fans, but, like Magnus said, I have replaced a few. It could be my own ineptitude with all things electric, though :-) I might have bought the wrong power supply, etc. However, one thing I try to do that seems to help is that I don't aim my misters straight at the fans. I also run mine the whole time the lights are on, rather than spinning them up periodically for a few seconds/minutes. Mine are all internal, too. None are set up over a vent directly. I only pull air into the tank by having the fans blow obliquely across my vents.

Mark

Old 11-13-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I have had ok luck with fans, but, like Magnus said, I have replaced a few. It could be my own ineptitude with all things electric, though :-) I might have bought the wrong power supply, etc. However, one thing I try to do that seems to help is that I don't aim my misters straight at the fans. I also run mine the whole time the lights are on, rather than spinning them up periodically for a few seconds/minutes. Mine are all internal, too. None are set up over a vent directly. I only pull air into the tank by having the fans blow obliquely across my vents.

Mark
Mine is going to be hidden within a duct. Maybe for better or worse, I don't know. But it's probably better to keep it spinning to move the air through the fan rather than have the air go stagnant inside that duct.

Computer fans aren't that costly and I'm ok with having to change them out now and then.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:12 PM

I work as a landscape architect and quite often we work with green roofs and similar areas. I've been playing around with a small product sample at the office of a drainage mat that's normally used underneath the planted substrate and thought that it would probably make a good drainage layer for vivariums too.

Problem is that they only come in big rolls of 30m in lengths. But I gave a supplier a call and today they showed up with a big piece of cut off they had lying around. Yay!

Old 12-02-2018, 05:51 PM

So a small update on this monstrosity..

I've ordered the glass and going to pick up the wood for the stand this week. So the project is on the move even if it's going slowly.

I've been thinking a lot about all the hidden installations that I'm going to put in and how to connect it all through the glass. I'm going to have two drains for the bottom, two 1/2" outlets for pumps (dripp wall and circulation in front pond), and maybe 3-4 lines for sensors. That's a lot of bulkheads and bulkheads aren't exactly cheap in Sweden, or anywhere really. So my plan is to use standard PVC 1" bulkheads for the drains on the bottom with barbed connector on the outside to connect the hose going to the sump.

For the pumps and sensor wires I'm going to use uniseals and either reinforced hose or pvc pipe. Uniseals are leak proof if installed correctly with the right diameter pipe and a lot cheaper than pvc bulkheads. These lines are going to be embedded in the background and won't see any water at all probably.

For the dripwall I'll use one of these hydroponic manifolds to split the 1/2" coming from the pump into 4/6mm hoses.

This way I can have better control over exactly where each outlet is going to exit. I don't want to have the entire wall to be covered in water when the pump is running. It's more going to be like water coming out of small crevices here and there.

The temp/humidity sensors will sit in a small shelter (like a film canister) on different levels and the wires will run in pipes/hoses through the background and down through the uniseal and out under the stand. Changing them out will just require me to pull the old ones out and rethread the wires for the new ones and then hook it up.

I taped the full size of the tank up where it's supposed to sit. First time I've really gotten a true sense of how big it's going to be...

Old 12-02-2018, 07:10 PM

Good quality bulkheads is 10 euro ea in Germany. The freight is not that high. I have no experience with uniseals so cannot comment on that more than that it looks risky. For a setup without water features maybe but I would not consider it otherwise. 10 euro is not much money concidering the cost of a water leak. And a sheap investment for a good nights sleep.

Br
Magnus
Old 12-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropfrog View Post
Good quality bulkheads is 10 euro ea in Germany. The freight is not that high. I have no experience with uniseals so cannot comment on that more than that it looks risky. For a setup without water features maybe but I would not consider it otherwise. 10 euro is not much money concidering the cost of a water leak. And a sheap investment for a good nights sleep.

Br
Magnus
I don't know why I didn't think of uniseals before but I have no real fear of them failing. They are pretty common as an alternative to regular bulkheads, usually where you have curved surfaces or something like that. One main issue is though that the pipe going through it is not locked in place, it can slide in and out, but for me that won't really be an issue. One 1/2" uniseal is around 3 Euros. So it will be around 30-35 Euros in total instead of over 80 for the connectors I need.

https://pentairaes.com/uniseal-rubber-seal.html
"Feel like rubber, but they are made of MPR, rated to 40 psi and warranted for 25 years. They are immune to cold, will not harden and hold pressure and vacuum. The sizes below correspond to standard Schedule 40 PVC pipe. Fit tank wall thicknesses up to 1/2"."
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM

Interesting product. Does anyone know what material theese are made of?

Kalle: You now have a competitor on the forum building a bigger tank than you . The rain fores exibit.....You should do the same thing, looking for sponsers of good equipment instead of cutting costs to a minimum

BR
Magnus
Old 02-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Any update on this build?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:26 PM

I would like to see an update, too!
Old 12-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Build thread resurrection!

This project just ground to a halt for a long time and then started moving very slowly so I've not really been in the mood to post any updates. Other parts of my life has taken priority and I've been able to squeeze in time for this vivarium just here and there. But it's been moving slowly in the right direction at least. And now I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel haha!

Here's a few pics of where it is at the moment. I've taken a lot more and will do a few thematic posts to get you all up to date. There's a bunch of smaller sub projects that I'm working on more or less at the same time. Lighting, electronics and the controller, hardscape, finishing the actual tank, etc, etc.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:37 PM

I ordered the glass from a guy who in his turn ordered it from a bigger glass company for a good price. I had to wait a bit and when it was finally here the guy told me that the company had run out of normal 6mm float glass and due to it being past delivery date they gave me 6mm low iron glass with no extra charge. All of it. Optiwhite glass, which I guess is like your Starphire glass in the US. So that was neat. I kind of feel bad using Optiwhite for the bottom and sides that I won't even see.

Before putting it together I drilled the holes in the bottom for the bottom drain and the pipes for the drip walls and fogger as well as the holes for the misting nozzles in the top.

I cut out a jig out of plywood with the laser cutter we have at work. One hole for every size of the drill bits I got from Amazon. 16 bits for $10 I think or something like that.

Raising the sides and siliconing it together was stressful but went really well.

Putting in the bulkheads for the connecting pipes and hoses.
Using 1" for the main bottom drain. 3/4" for the drip walls and 1" for the fogger.

I had planned and drilled for three electrical conduits coming up from the bottom as well but I've now changed my mind and I'm letting them in from the top back corner, behind the tree. So I'm just going to patch those holes up with glass and silicone.

I still have the door track and under door ventilation to pit in but that will be the last thing I do after all the hardscape is mounted in place.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:54 PM

I don't remember how far I had come with the controller since I last updated here but the plan is to use the open source software Reef-Pi, a controller for Raspberry Pi and developed for reef aquariums.

It will control the basic electronics such as misting system, fogger, drip wall pumps using simple on/off relays.

It will control the lights on a 24h cycle using PWM.

The internal ventilation or airflow will also be controlled via PWM and probably on a "random speed surge program" or something like that to get some variation in speed and intensity of the airflow. I'll have two 140mm fans so I can run them on low rpm's and very silent but can also generate a storm in there if I wanted to haha!

I'll have a separate R-Pi doing the monitoring and sending it to Adafruit IO for some nice data graphs and tracking that is web based. I'll have three DHT22 sensors inside the viv. Overkill yes, but I love monitoring and seeing cause and effect when tweaking everything from lighting, ventilation, misting, fogger, etc.

Designed a cabinet in cad to house everything in and cut the pieces out on our laser cutter at work.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:17 PM

Got the drainage layer in place and the first big piece of hardscape. Going to start working on the rest of the background next.

VicSkimmr and Lucano like this.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:45 PM

Been a while since an update. Honestly I haven't been on DB in a while at all because mostly I just get a bit sad to see how inactive it has become. But I was reading through the "reviving DB" thread and it kind of gave me a boost. DB won't get revived unless people start to post and share. So I'll do my part which isn't much but it's all I can do.

Anyway, back to the build. It's been slow due to life and work but I'm finally seeing the end result ahead. And once you get to see parts of your plan realized it makes you rethink your planned next step. I kind of had a very clear image in my head in terms of hardscape for this build but I've changed my mind multiple times already.

One of the backgrounds I decided what to with at least after many days of debating and finally just deciding. I went with a rock wall with some water flow and cracks for plants and moss to establish. I found this pic from Machu Picchu from the ceremonial bath that I really liked

I started making the stones from hypertufa with internal filling of styrofoam to keep the weight down.

The last pieces are now done and are drying and curing. Once dry I'll treat them with some vinegar to lower the alkalinity a bit and then paint and mount them to the side wall.

The other background which is kind of the main background as it's facing the doors of the tank I've decided to make from peat bricks sawn and broken into smaller thinner pieces then mounted to the wall somehow. I have a plan for mounting which we'll see holds up or not...

When both backgrounds are finished we'll get to the part I'm looking forward to the most and that is finishing the scape with all the wood and branches and kind of get to see the final, although unplanted, result.

Cheers!
Encyclia and Lucano like this.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:42 PM

This is such a cool build already. Thank you for sharing its progress with us.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
Been a while since an update. Honestly I haven't been on DB in a while at all because mostly I just get a bit sad to see how inactive it has become. But I was reading through the "reviving DB" thread and it kind of gave me a boost. DB won't get revived unless people start to post and share. So I'll do my part which isn't much but it's all I can do.

Anyway, back to the build. It's been slow due to life and work but I'm finally seeing the end result ahead. And once you get to see parts of your plan realized it makes you rethink your planned next step. I kind of had a very clear image in my head in terms of hardscape for this build but I've changed my mind multiple times already.

One of the backgrounds I decided what to with at least after many days of debating and finally just deciding. I went with a rock wall with some water flow and cracks for plants and moss to establish. I found this pic from Machu Picchu from the ceremonial bath that I really liked

I started making the stones from hypertufa with internal filling of styrofoam to keep the weight down.

The last pieces are now done and are drying and curing. Once dry I'll treat them with some vinegar to lower the alkalinity a bit and then paint and mount them to the side wall.

The other background which is kind of the main background as it's facing the doors of the tank I've decided to make from peat bricks sawn and broken into smaller thinner pieces then mounted to the wall somehow. I have a plan for mounting which we'll see holds up or not...

When both backgrounds are finished we'll get to the part I'm looking forward to the most and that is finishing the scape with all the wood and branches and kind of get to see the final, although unplanted, result.

Cheers!
Always nice to see new builds. Awesome job
Kalle likes this.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:11 PM

Awesome work, Kalle. Thanks for taking the time to document it for us!
Kalle likes this.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:08 PM

Wow. Things is really happening! Havent been here for a while, happy your project is going forward. I am so excited to see the next steps and the finalized tank.

BR
Magnus
Kalle likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tropfrog For This Useful Post:
Kalle (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 05:09 PM

Wow. This is definitely an inspirational build. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the wall comes together with the buttress.
Kalle likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to athiker04 For This Useful Post:
Kalle (01-27-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 12:06 PM

A lovely build so far with fine craftsmanship! Love the buttress and the rocks could be mistaken for granite.

I vote only one or zero vines on the buttress. Plants will likely obscure it to some extent naturally; adding those vines will only hasten the process.

Looking forward to seeing this noble pursuit completed and growing in.

Mike
Kalle likes this.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxrgneiss View Post
A lovely build so far with fine craftsmanship! Love the buttress and the rocks could be mistaken for granite.

I vote only one or zero vines on the buttress. Plants will likely obscure it to some extent naturally; adding those vines will only hasten the process.

Looking forward to seeing this noble pursuit completed and growing in.

Mike
Thanks for the kind words! I might agree with you on the vines. I'm going to try and mount a lot of the wood I have horizontally/on an angle between the walls including a couple of those vines. Right now I feel like I have a bit too much nice wood that I want to use and it's going to be hard to choose. I don't want to totally overcrowd it either. On the other hand I really want to use the depth and space a lot and not just the back walls. Lots of mounting surfaces for orchids and small epiphytes.

Rocks are mostly dried and cured now, going to acid wash them and do some painting this weekend. Have also been looking for a source on peat blocks (not milled compressed) but most stores seem to be out of stock.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:55 PM

Holy cow man great build. Will be following for sure. This is getting me excited for my first build. I love the controller idea for everything. I come from a reefing background where I loved messing with that stuff too! Keep up the good work!
Kalle likes this.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
Thanks for the kind words! I might agree with you on the vines. I'm going to try and mount a lot of the wood I have horizontally/on an angle between the walls including a couple of those vines. Right now I feel like I have a bit too much nice wood that I want to use and it's going to be hard to choose. I don't want to totally overcrowd it either. On the other hand I really want to use the depth and space a lot and not just the back walls. Lots of mounting surfaces for orchids and small epiphytes.

Rocks are mostly dried and cured now, going to acid wash them and do some painting this weekend. Have also been looking for a source on peat blocks (not milled compressed) but most stores seem to be out of stock.

You might be able to lay a couple pieces of wood across an open portion of the foreground at angles to each other to add some depth aspect, although it looks like the terrarium floorspace is nearly full with all the roots already - not a bad thing! Honestly, I think you'll have plenty of depth with the roots alone. And you will have wood and vines ready and waiting for the next build. However, a taller plant or two, like Clidemia hirta, situated somewhere in the foreground could help with depth, too. If you don't mind the look, you might be able to mount some epiphytes & orchids to the roots or trunk itself.
Kalle likes this.
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

Little update...

Rock wall on the side wall painted and mounted.

Did a spontaneous attempt on doing some roots crawling along the rocks but ended up not liking the final look so I scrapped them.

First piece in place, resting on the bottom

Then it was just a matter of piecing the puzzle together. They fit very snuggly against eachother giving lots of vertical support.

Hygrolon strips between rocks to promote plant and moss establishment and to try to resemble conditions in a real rock wall.

Nest challenge is the bigger background and for that I need peat blocks which I have a trouble sourcing at the moment. Every store is out of stock. Perhaps for the season I'm not sure as it's mostly for garden use.
Woodswalker and Lucano like this.