Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2018, 06:04 PM

Default New Build & Springtails

Hey all,

I've just completed my first build. I'm open to input regarding any changes to make it better for frogs, which obviously are the most important part. It's empty right now to allow for plants to grow in, so now's the time to change it, if necessary.

Additionally, I recently seeded with isopods and springtails, but they seem to have disappeared. How long should it be before I should start seeing them crawling around and/or reseeding?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180919_202816891.jpg (98.0 KB, 112 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018, 02:41 AM

Default Re: New Build & Springtails

Nice looking vivarium! You'll have some happy frogs once you add them. Looks like you have good lighting. The plants will grow in nicely. The only things I might add are more of personal taste. I like adding some cork bark to make a cave area for the frogs. I also am partial to adding live moss. I've had success both with the spore mixtures and with leaving dead sphagnum moss in a brightly lit area of the tank until its spores grow.

I find that springtails' population growth is proportional to the amount of food available. I imagine that there is little decaying matter in your vivarium now because of its age. You should start seeing more once you have waste and decaying leaves
Old 09-25-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollokilo View Post
Hey all,

I've just completed my first build. I'm open to input regarding any changes to make it better for frogs, which obviously are the most important part. It's empty right now to allow for plants to grow in, so now's the time to change it, if necessary.

Additionally, I recently seeded with isopods and springtails, but they seem to have disappeared. How long should it be before I should start seeing them crawling around and/or reseeding?
It can take a few months to see the isopods and springtails if the initial amount placed in the tank is not a lot. You can put a couple sprinkles of brewers yeast under the leaf litter to keep the springstails fed. Flip the leaf litter over a few hours after you feed to the brewers yeast to monitor progress.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:41 AM

It's normal to not see them most of the time. Once you do got frogs in there you should probably re-seed the tank once every 1-2 month to keep a healthy population.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopixal View Post
It's normal to not see them most of the time. Once you do got frogs in there you should probably re-seed the tank once every 1-2 month to keep a healthy population.
I do this for a quick snack for the frogs, and to keep the mother culture population in check.