No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tory990
  • 1 Post By Tory990
  • 1 Post By Eruantien

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2018, 02:21 AM

Default So my frogs just gave me a heart attack...

So I get home from work and get out my supplies to feed etc. I open the terra door like I always do and this guy pictured below, sitting on a tree branch catapults off the branch and i think does a somersault moves at the speed of lightning across the leaf litter and jumps out the door onto the table below then catapults onto the floor to under a box sitting there with their supplies in it. I'm going oh my god cause right there is a recliner that if it got under I'd never catch it because next to it is the couch. So boyfriend shines a light I see it sitting there not facing me. I grab a Dixie cup that they shipped in (I knew I kept those for a reason) and carefully but quickly smack that cup over top it. So now I'm stuck going ok how am I gonna get it now. I'm like on the floor stretched out under the table barely able to move. I did grab a lid to the cup but was afraid itd either slip out or I'd catch its feet. In an act i can only call miraculous i manage to slide that lid under the cup slowly it helps me out by kindly jumping away from the open edge onto the lid instead and i manage to get the lid fully on the cup and bring it out. I have a dog that's already eyed these frogs because shes a terrier and she hunts. I had to keep her away from them as well as the kids who are going I wanna see. I'm freaking out. Needless to say I've had my cardio for the day. Im not sure what happened it's usually never spooky like that. Even when I let it out of the cup it darted around a second. Im not sure if something has spooked them or what but that was crazy. I'll have to monitor but I believe were ok and no tiny toes got harmed in the process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
AuroraK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 02:29 AM

Default Re: So my frogs just gave me a heart attack...

I'm really glad to hear you managed to catch your frog. In the future, it's much safer to avoid using a cup. One false move, for example, if you slam the cup while he suddenly and unexpectedly hops, you could be amputating a leg or crushing your frog to death. I'm sure there are some horror stories out there already. It's hands, hands, hands for catching loose frogs, as far as I'm concerned.

What a relief, though that your frog is back where he belongs, and doesn't seem to be any worse off than when he began his brief adventure.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodswalker View Post
I'm really glad to hear you managed to catch your frog. In the future, it's much safer to avoid using a cup. One false move, for example, if you slam the cup while he suddenly and unexpectedly hops, you could be amputating a leg or crushing your frog to death. I'm sure there are some horror stories out there already. It's hands, hands, hands for catching loose frogs, as far as I'm concerned.

What a relief, though that your frog is back where he belongs, and doesn't seem to be any worse off than when he began his brief adventure.
Yeah I know it was a risk with that cup but I was afraid I wouldnt manage to grab it nervous as I was. It was purely thinking on my feet. But I didnt really slam it down I did ease over it but I was trying to move quickly. I thought about that too hurting but like I said thinking on my feet. I never ever expected the crazy thing to jump out like that. They usually stay far back from the door when I open it. And it was in fact almost in the back it just decided to go for a walk I guess. Man that was crazy. It's usually the more calm one. The other one is the more crazy one. When we brought them home it was all over the place even in the Dixie cup. But yes thank goodness I'm not down to 2 frogs instead of three. I'd have felt awful if I couldnt catch it and it suffered a horrible death by drying out or something. Thanks for your advice if it happens again I'll try to remain calm and think with my head (hopefully it doesnt though). I plan to be more careful from now on.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Congrats on catching the frog! I had a similar experience. I didn’t know of this resource when I first got my thumbnails so didn’t know they are little escape artists. I was messing in their viv and didn’t even turn away. So then I close the door and there is the female ON TOP of the viv. Luckily I saw her and I just grabbed her with my hands - not out of forethought but just impulse. Anyway, now she is named Caper due to her little adventure and I have been much more careful to know where they are (or at least that they are hiding) at all times when the doors are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R. Variabilis Highland 1.1.1
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraK View Post
Congrats on catching the frog! I had a similar experience. I didn’t know of this resource when I first got my thumbnails so didn’t know they are little escape artists. I was messing in their viv and didn’t even turn away. So then I close the door and there is the female ON TOP of the viv. Luckily I saw her and I just grabbed her with my hands - not out of forethought but just impulse. Anyway, now she is named Caper due to her little adventure and I have been much more careful to know where they are (or at least that they are hiding) at all times when the doors are open.

That's crazy and they're so tiny lol. Glad you caught her. Mine scared me to death but it went down to the floor. Just ran out when I opened the door. I think it scared itself to death for a few days after it hid and would go crazy when I got near the tank.

AuroraK likes this.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:11 PM

I remember when I was little, I had an 10 gallon aquarium with 3x baby African clawed frogs. My little brother was like 3 at the time.. stuck his hands in the tank and grabbed them to play with them when I wasn’t home. Needless to say he lost them. Found them a couple hours later. Luckily still alive.

Escapee frogs are never fun, always stressful but always feels good to get them back in the enclosure safe and sound. Happy you found yours.

AuroraK likes this.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruantien View Post
I remember when I was little, I had an 10 gallon aquarium with 3x baby African clawed frogs. My little brother was like 3 at the time.. stuck his hands in the tank and grabbed them to play with them when I wasn’t home. Needless to say he lost them. Found them a couple hours later. Luckily still alive.

Escapee frogs are never fun, always stressful but always feels good to get them back in the enclosure safe and sound. Happy you found yours.

Thanks yeah I was very relieved we caught it. Now they move around like nothing happened. Told a coworker what happened and she said oh poor little thing I bet it was scared to death. I never dreamed of it running out. I've seen videos where people open the door and they just sit there st the door.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:30 PM

I imagine animals screaming, “a whole new world”. They then proceed to find shelter in the deepest hard to reach corner they can find.

I had a couple Tokay’s for a while. Was taking care of them for a friend. That was a rude awakening.. and possibly the hardest animal I have had to catch outside of an aquarium. They are fast, were aggressive and could climb the walls of the house.

My experience taking care of his had persuaded me against my curiosity of them, and stated, these things need a greenhouse, not an aquarium sized enclosure. . Also made me thankful for the various frogs and newts I have kept in the past. Generally slow and not aggressive.

I too have also seen videos where people have their frogs just sitting in front of an open door, never jumping out.

All of my enclosures that I had animals in were top opening, so I have never been able to experience this. Am thinking of doing an exo terra build next. I have a massive 36x18x36 in my garage that I’m wanting to set up for some large Oophaga’s but am wanting to try working with a smaller 24 cube or 24x18x24 first. Who knows then maybe I will get to experience frogs hanging out at the front.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:29 AM

I can attest to the escape capabilities of lined day geckos. My immature one spent the bulk of the Minnesota Winter escaping, being at-large for a month until I gave up all hope, then reappearing, being re-captured......repeat. After the third time, I didn't worry so much. It actually gained some weight last time.

Eruantien, I set up my 36x18x36 for my adult pair. They are very comfortable with the extra space and exhibit behavior that was never seen in the 24x18x18. I say just go with the big tank, the extra space is easier to work in as well.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:56 AM

I have heard horror stories of lizards, frogs, hamsters, etc escaping oy to be found months later dead inside a wall or cabinet. I'm not sure what yours were eating but they found something good. This is the first viv I've had the side opening doors do give a convenience factor but far greater chance of escapes. This one wasn't even at the front it was pretty well at the back on a branch but something spooked it not sure what but it flew out that door. Theyve never even come close to the front when it opens. Although I do think theyve learned door opens=food. The more bold one was sitting there yesterday waiting patiently for me to feed them. I noticed last week they were climbing the sides of the enclosure and I thought that's weird. The only time theyve done that is when we first got them home. I assumed they needed water I've never seen them on there since. But I noticed some gnats buzzing around in there and I think that's what they were doing attempting to catch the gnats. They should make a kind of mesh front you can use to kind of cover the front when you're messing around in there.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:57 AM

Talking Re: So my frogs just gave me a heart attack...

I rear my froglets in half-height '10 gal' tanks, for ease in checking on their progress. I usually keep them there for 3-4 months, so they get about 1/2 grown. Most of them stay put while I feed them, but some are more adventurous. Needless to say, I've had a good number of escapees, which usually end up on the floor. I keep a fly culture container handy, just in case, and find if I approach very slowly, slowly move the container over the frog, and slowly down over it, I usually recapture it. Sometimes it takes several tries. When the container has the frog imprisoned, I use a thin sturdy plastic sheet, slide it under the container,then lift the container and sheet, turn it over, and return the frog to its tank. Some of the frogs are repeat offenders.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsofaac View Post
I rear my froglets in half-height '10 gal' tanks, for ease in checking on their progress. I usually keep them there for 3-4 months, so they get about 1/2 grown. Most of them stay put while I feed them, but some are more adventurous. Needless to say, I've had a good number of escapees, which usually end up on the floor. I keep a fly culture container handy, just in case, and find if I approach very slowly, slowly move the container over the frog, and slowly down over it, I usually recapture it. Sometimes it takes several tries. When the container has the frog imprisoned, I use a thin sturdy plastic sheet, slide it under the container,then lift the container and sheet, turn it over, and return the frog to its tank. Some of the frogs are repeat offenders.
Lol that's pretty much what I did just used that little Dixie cup instead. I did move slowly but quickly. I figured next hop was under the recliner. I did have some culture cups I could've used just didnt think about it. I'm thinking the 2 bigger ones are considered sub adults. They're a good 1.25 to 1.5 inches and one is developing a ridge along it's back. Supposedly at shipment they're 2 to 3 months old. I got them in Feb so by that I'm figuring they're going on 6 months old. Maybe more or less. Now the smallest one I just dont know I think it was barely out of the water before it was shipped. It wasn't even an inch when it got here. Maybe not even a half inch. I kept it separately for a while per the request of the seller. But decided after 3 months it was time. Its thriving in the big one, guess I should've put it in sooner but it just didnt act like it was hunting and I worried about it starving but I see it hunting all the time now. Maybe it just needed that extra space and more plants to hide in.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory990 View Post
I have heard horror stories of lizards, frogs, hamsters, etc escaping oy to be found months later dead inside a wall or cabinet. I'm not sure what yours were eating but they found something good. This is the first viv I've had the side opening doors do give a convenience factor but far greater chance of escapes. This one wasn't even at the front it was pretty well at the back on a branch but something spooked it not sure what but it flew out that door. Theyve never even come close to the front when it opens. Although I do think theyve learned door opens=food. The more bold one was sitting there yesterday waiting patiently for me to feed them. I noticed last week they were climbing the sides of the enclosure and I thought that's weird. The only time theyve done that is when we first got them home. I assumed they needed water I've never seen them on there since. But I noticed some gnats buzzing around in there and I think that's what they were doing attempting to catch the gnats. They should make a kind of mesh front you can use to kind of cover the front when you're messing around in there.

Yeah....It probably speaks volumes about the fauna that cohabitates my home.....and me an exterminator! She never strayed more than a couple feet from her tank, living in cracks and crevices in the moulding. I think she lived on escaped fruit flies, spiders, and the occasional cricket. I did leave her cups of pangea after the first time to help with recapture. The time that leaves me scratching my head was when she escaped her enclosure and then re-appeared in the tank with the two adults which is well sealed.

I have made my share of rookie mistakes. I had a ceramic heat unit placed on the screen top that warped the frame, she found a spot where the screen had separated. I moved her into a new enclosure and failed to close the slider for wiring. I have now upgraded the original enclosure, sealing any possible escape route and providing a lot of spots where she can hide when disturbed. I have noted more pest problems in the basement.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
Yeah....It probably speaks volumes about the fauna that cohabitates my home.....and me an exterminator! She never strayed more than a couple feet from her tank, living in cracks and crevices in the moulding. I think she lived on escaped fruit flies, spiders, and the occasional cricket. I did leave her cups of pangea after the first time to help with recapture. The time that leaves me scratching my head was when she escaped her enclosure and then re-appeared in the tank with the two adults which is well sealed.

I have made my share of rookie mistakes. I had a ceramic heat unit placed on the screen top that warped the frame, she found a spot where the screen had separated. I moved her into a new enclosure and failed to close the slider for wiring. I have now upgraded the original enclosure, sealing any possible escape route and providing a lot of spots where she can hide when disturbed. I have noted more pest problems in the basement.
Haha that is too funny. What an escape artist. She must be a ghost to get out and back in. Now I have found my frogs to disappear for days only to reappear at some point they hide well under the leaves. Maybe that's what she did. These crazy critters and they say well if your enclosure is set how they like they wont leave. Yeah sure lol.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory990 View Post
Haha that is too funny. What an escape artist. She must be a ghost to get out and back in. Now I have found my frogs to disappear for days only to reappear at some point they hide well under the leaves. Maybe that's what she did. These crazy critters and they say well if your enclosure is set how they like they wont leave. Yeah sure lol.

The problem is that she showed up in a different tank than hers . The problem is that I think she gets lonely, if I allowed her to stay the adults would likely kill her. I don't dare to allow her to join the others until she gets larger.

The adult pair are happy and secure in their enclosure, they never try to escape. I think that by the time I designed their enclosure, I was little wiser in providing proper places for them to hang out.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
The problem is that she showed up in a different tank than hers . The problem is that I think she gets lonely, if I allowed her to stay the adults would likely kill her. I don't dare to allow her to join the others until she gets larger.

The adult pair are happy and secure in their enclosure, they never try to escape. I think that by the time I designed their enclosure, I was little wiser in providing proper places for them to hang out.
Haha that is too funny. Feed her crickets...that's what got mine growing.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Glad you caught them! One of mine escaped recently never to be found again 😞
Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 PM

One of my leucomelas froglet wasn’t aware it was feeding time, I tried poking it to get flies before they were mostly consumed. Jumped from a branch out the front doors about 1.5 meters down to carpet. I moved quickly and scooped it up with my hand so my basset wouldn’t smash it with her size 11 paws. Little frog was calm as could be on my finger and walked off my finger to start eating.

Very impressed with its ability to forgive me and chill out on the return.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 PM

If a frog escapes, set out shallow dishes of water all over the place and underneath things. Hopefully it'll find a dish and sit in it.
Try keeping a large sheet of cardboard nearby if you have escape-prone frogs. You can use it as a wall to keep them from going underneath things if they escape.
A towel may also be a good idea. I've never tried this, but I figure you could throw a (preferably moist) towel/rag/etc over a frog. That wouldn't squish it, would have a wide area of effect, and would trap it. You could then either lift the edge of the towel and catch it when it hopped out, slide your hand under, or carefully pick up the entire bundle of frog and cloth.

I've had a couple of frog escapes, from the same one. One time the little guy hopped directly under my bed. I had to use a broom handle to (very carefully) scare him back out. The other time, he landed on top of a cat who happened to be walking by! Both times he was fine, but I had to rinse the dust/cat hair off of him.