Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HippieSquirrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 03:40 AM

Default 24x18x36 - expanding addiction

So this time I decided to go big or go home. I found the largest terrarium I could fit on the stand I have and after a couple weeks of planning I ordered everything last night. Unfortunately the actual terrarium is on back order so it won’t arive till sometime in May but I’ll have time to tweak my plans and such till then. Sorry to be starting this so early I just can’t contain my excitement.

I’m hoping to start getting ideas, advice and suggestions for what frog to gear it towards so I can make adjustments to the build and start preparing beforehand. I want the whole vivarium to be used so I was debating between; some type of tree frog, leucs, or some type of bold thumbnail. Since those seem to be the most arboreal. It’ll be very bromeliad and orchid heavy. To be honest I’ve been eyeing those Anotheca spinosa over at black jungle terrarium supply.. there’s little info on them anywhere though. At the end of the day I think I’m leaning towards leucs since they’d be easy and most likely to be seen/won’t dissapear into the large viv. However I am on the lookout for something unique/different that catches my eye so any suggestions are most welcome!

The plan..
24x18x36 exo Terra
24” beamswork planted tank led - conveniently had it in storage
Optional: 16” finnex planted + for moonlight or extra lighting as needed
Mistking starter system - starting with a double nozzle

Aside from that I have 3 nice sized pieces of manzanita that should fill the viv and then some so I’ll have plenty of climbing and mounting space. As well as various leftover build supplies, I’ll probably tackle this one similarly to my last build. It’ll just be almost 4x larger! 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Well I’m gonna skip the build behind this viv. It was a very long build, the terrarium was sitting on the stand for maybe a month before anything actually started and I was bad about taking pictures of the process. It is currently housing 3 Ameerega bassleri chromes who are still getting used to their new home but becoming more adventurous each day. I may look at filling the group out more but for now I want to let things cruise for a bit and get established.

I decided against foam because it was so large and I wanted to be able to change it in the future if need/interest changed. So I used 1” insulation and covered it in hygrolon. Unfortunately I’m having drainage issues (currently blaming the 1” cap of reptisoil that I used because I ran out of ABG) so until that’s fixed the moss isn’t going to take off just yet and make a wall like I want. I threw in a large portion of my cultures of giant canyon isos, giant orange isos, dwarf purple isos, and springs so I think I have janitorial duties covered. I also decided not to do a water feature because it was too much work and would’ve taken up most of the floor space.

And that’s about it, I’m hoping they’ll use more of the height of the viv as they mature and settle in but if they don’t that’s okay too, I’ll fill it with orchids, air plants and broms and give it lots of color.
braydens and baskis like this.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:15 PM

And here are the frog pictures, not the best cause they’re still rather shy but I have managed to grab a few. These guys are absolutely beautiful, I hope I can get them to breed one day.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:17 PM

Seems like uploading from my phone is compressing the images poorly. I’ll have to try later.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Mod

Default Re: 24x18x36 - expanding addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSquirrel View Post
Seems like uploading from my phone is compressing the images poorly. Iíll have to try later.
It's this site. It is awful at handling images. I use Imgur to host my images then there is a place where you can copy a URL that is forum-friendly. It works really well for me and you don't have to worry about re-sizing and all that kind of thing.

Mark
Old 10-15-2018, 11:51 PM

Default Re: 24x18x36 - expanding addiction

Beautiful tank! Are the bassleri making much use of the vertical space? I was under the impression that they were more terrestrial in behavior, but haven't kept them myself, or know anyone who has.