Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CMH80

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 07:12 PM

Default First viv, 12x12x18 - Am I ready?

Here is my first setup I have planned for a pair of R. amazonica or R. imitator. It is a 12x12x18 exo-terra, with a glass lid. It has been just over one week now, springtails are thriving in the substrate and leaf litter, I can see many babies.

-The light is a T5 nano sunblaster. Temp; 70-75f, 80% humidity.

-substrate; mix of zoo-med 'reptisoil', milled sphagnum, chopped leaf litter, and crushed clay bioballs. Thick layer of leaf litter. A layer of sphagnum moss in left corner. 3" layer of bioballs for drainage.

-plants; hypoestes phyllostachya, pilea sp., and what I think is guzmania bromeliad. I found an old plant at a garden centre with several large pups and one tiny one, I separated them. let's see how they do. They are not planted, just sitting on cork bark and supported by the driftwood. Also some tillandsia brachycalous which are doing well, wedged in cracks in the wood. Two other tillandsia, one large and one small, sit in the upper corners. Not sure what they are, they have a reddish tinge

-hides; cork bark hide hidden behind driftwood pieces, also a nutshell hide in back right corner

Can anyone offer opinions for what to improve, change, add, etc? I want to leave some spaces for film canisters to be placed.

Lucano likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2018, 12:03 AM

Default Re: First viv, 12x12x18 - Am I ready?

Looks pretty good for your first viv! Idk about other people but I like to wait closer to a month before adding frogs. I feel like that gives me ample amount of time to adjust things as needed, allows the plants to grow in and get settled, also it lets me see if anything malfunctions (I had a pump die on me which caused an overflow, took 2 weeks for that to happen).

I've never raised either R. amazonica or R. imitators so I can't offer much help on species specific questions.

I've had some issues with tillandsias before because they really appreciate a decent amount of airflow. They also, for the most part, hate having water directly on them. So best of luck with those.

As for the brom, you can fasten it onto the wood with specially made plant ties or fishing wire. Since you mentioned its on a cork bark, you can also drill a hole in the cork and stick the little nub (stolon? I think) into the hole, then you can use hot glue or something similar to keep it in place.

There are these pretty cool and useful film canister things that I have and I have seen are film canisters with a suction cup drilled into them so you can attach them onto the glass. It helps save ground space and its really easy to remove the eggs (just make sure there's water in them!)

That's all I can think of as of now.
Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to a-ha For This Useful Post:
CMH80 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Default Re: First viv, 12x12x18 - Am I ready?

I have decided to wait until after my August vacation to get frogs, so this tank will have until September to keep growing (and for me to find @%&!)! neoregalia broms. oh Canada )

Its doing well, I think? The springtails are doing well, um, in fact, they are everywhere. All over everything except the glass, when I open the tank its like someone scattered micro-rice, little white things flinging everywhere. This is normal yes? I assume their population will become stable eventually?

Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 PM

This looks awesome!!!!!! I had R.Imatators in the same tank. They weren't super bold but they were cool!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Rocc For This Useful Post:
CMH80 (04-27-2018)