No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By StormieTuesday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2018, 12:01 AM

Default First two tanks!!

Hey everyone!

I've been getting into building tanks slowly over the past few years. This is my first time sharing what I've made. The rectangle tank is the first one I ever built. I just added a fogger with LED lights. I still need to clean a few things up, but I think it is headed in the right direction. I learned a lot on this one and decided to build the Hexagon tank. Found a killer piece of wood at Repticon last year and it served as the inspiration for this tank. Still working on the lid for this one.

Next steps include getting a mist king system and setting up some fans. Right now I do all the listing by hand. I'm also going to invest a little more in plants for the tank now that it is stable.

I hope you all like them-
Thanks for reading! https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ab2e3c0...013710_705.mp4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Encyclia and AuroraK like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 01:53 PM

Default Re: First two tanks!!

Good efforts here, Stormie.

The only thing I don't know about is your substrate/drainage layer. Do you have a drainage layer in these tanks?

Mark
Old 03-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Good efforts here, Stormie.

The only thing I don't know about is your substrate/drainage layer. Do you have a drainage layer in these tanks?

Mark
Yes. In the larger rectangle one you can't see it because I siliconed around the base. It actually has a good 3.5 to 4 inches of drainage layer.

In the Hexagon one I have a drainage layer in the back, but not in the front with the intention to let water temporally pool in the front.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormieTuesday View Post
Yes. In the larger rectangle one you can't see it because I siliconed around the base. It actually has a good 3.5 to 4 inches of drainage layer.

In the Hexagon one I have a drainage layer in the back, but not in the front with the intention to let water temporally pool in the front.

Ok, sounds good. My key concern is that you are talking about adding a misting system and you really don't want the pooled water to be in contact with your substrate all of the time. This will lead to rotting conditions. Make sure there is a gap between any substrate and the water in the drainage layer. This might mean you will need to replace some of the substrate in the area where you are planning on pooling water with something inert (gravel, etc.). If water is touching your substrate anywhere, it can easily wick into the remaining areas and you will have a big swamp. Kermit the Frog might prefer a swamp, dart frogs do not do well in a swamp.

Mark