• 1 Post By JPP
  • 1 Post By KFilger
  • 1 Post By KFilger
  • 2 Post By KFilger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2018, 09:34 PM

Default Re-designing Vivarium

Hi all,

I recently (yesterday) decided to re-purpose this 24x18x24 exo terra which was originally intended to house my crested gecko, into a PDF vivarium which will house a pair of frogs. The way the tank was hardscaped wasn't to my liking and I prefer this to be a more "tropical" vivarium with moss/ferns as it will be a center tank on my display cabinet.

heres a look at the original setup with a cork bark extending from either side of the vivarium.

I had to make a difficult decision, that being that I cut back the cork on both sides. This was to allow for a more even misting to the back wall and to allow more light to reach the bottom. (The ficus pumilla soon to be removed )

Besides sawing apart my expensive piece of cork, I have already began retrofitting this tank to keep PDFs. First I have converted the screen top to a glass top with approximately 1/2in screen vent for ventilation as well as two 5/8 in. drilled holes for the mistking. The lights I am using are 3 13W Jungle Dawn LEDs currently running on a 12hr on/off cycle. For drainage I will be using the existing PVC pipe I have submerged in the bottom right corner which I can siphon water out of if need be.

A recent plant order will include sheet moss, 5-6 Neos, Rabbits foot fern & pilea "baby tears." My plan is to attempt to cover the terrestial area of the tank with moss & pilea as well as some nice low growing plants (mabye some philodendron Wend Imbe or Red empress if I can find any) and to mount the Bromeliads along the back wall.

My real issue lies with how I will fill in these empty cork rounds that I have on either side. I would like to mabye grow some moss on them and mount some ferns and other epiphytes (mabye some peperomia?) that will trail down from rounds.

Still on the checklist is to wire a fan inside of the tank to promote some air circulation and to decide on what my options will be to fill this tank in.

Frogs will later be decided on after letting the tank grow in and of course after doing more research.

Let me know what you guys think and any suggestions or ideas would greatly be appreciated, Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180129_110719.jpg (33.8 KB, 62 views)
Jeremiah and Encyclia like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Re-designing Vivarium

That viv looks great! Glass Box Tropicals sells the Wendimbe philodendron that you are looking for.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ's Exotics View Post
That viv looks great! Glass Box Tropicals sells the Wendimbe philodendron that you are looking for.
So does Josh's Frogs. But neither of them have them in stock, which may be why the OP mentioned trying to find any.
CJ's Exotics likes this.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Thank you!

Yeah I've been searching between various sellers but no one seems to have much in stock at the moment
CJ's Exotics likes this.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:18 AM

Got my glass top back on after I siliconed in a screen vent
Misting nozzles put back into place & misting schedule set at few second intervals every 4-5 hours

Front fogged up almost immediately, aim to add a fan to prevent too much fog up and to add some healthy air movement within the viv
Some NEHERP live moss slurry that i added back in this viv almost a year ago, amazing that its greening up after just 48 hours after adding a glass top

The trio of cork tubes that I want to plant and/or attach epiphytes too, this should be a cool little spot for the frogs to call and climb on.

This little guy is loving it in here

Nice shot of this ledge that I want to grow moss on

Expecting a shipment in this week, Will update with pics once everything is added

Thanks
CJ's Exotics likes this.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:52 AM

Have you tried Dusk Moss Mix?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Have you tried Dusk Moss Mix?
Not yet, but I was planning on picking some up in my next order. I've seen some pretty good results from other members who have used it in their vivs. Hopefully I can get some ferns popping up out of it as well
Old 03-23-2018, 05:31 AM

Plants arrived!

Everything ordered came in healthy and looking great!

If it looks like everything is out of place .. They are haha
Managed to mount the Neos with some skewer sticks (couldnt find my mounting wire)

Full plant list:
Davallia Trichomanoids 'Black Rabbits Foot Fern'
Neo 'Angle Face'
Neo 'Super Ball'
Neo 'Mo Peppa Please'
Neo 'Tiger Club'
Neo 'Mouser'
Pilea Depress ' Baby Tears'
Pilea Involcrata 'Moon Valley'

Pilea Involucrata 'Moon Valley'

Neo 'Superball'

Pilea Depressa "Baby Tears"

Ground level of the viv, pics don't do the gradient justice, but the viv slopes from front to back

Moss has yellowed some, which I expect should green up in a couple of weeks once acclimated.

Still one more plant order hopefully on its way soon!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:53 PM

Been a few months so I thought i should update. Still deciding what species of dart frogs to get, would love to get a trio.

As far as microfauna, I still have some calico isopods running around (just saw a huge one yesterday evening as well as some babies), but my springtails seemed to have died off and been replaced by these little silver bugs probably the same size as springtails, my guess is that they are probably out-competing them for food. Im going to try and start a new culture of springtails and see if that works, but im wondering if these little guys would cause a problem. Ill try and snap a picture but they are pretty difficult to see.

And bonus shot of completed cabinet
Left: American Green Tree Frogs
Middle: Future Dart Frogs
Right: Crested Gecko

Thanks for reading
NickS and Khamul like this.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:00 AM

I like the way this is filling out. Is the bright pinkish bromeliad the angel face? Nice plant selections.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Guy View Post
I like the way this is filling out. Is the bright pinkish bromeliad the angel face? Nice plant selections.
Thank you. Yes it is, it's already flowering and sprouting a pup as well