facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By djd3mon
  • 1 Post By jarteta97
  • 1 Post By jarteta97

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 04:39 PM

Talking My first Vivarium - 20 Gal Long

Ive been doing my research here and watching YouTube for about a month now, and I finally put together a temporary viv until I can buy a large viv and let the spring tails and isopods do their thing for a month or two.

I was looking at getting a 18x18x24 but when I went to DFW Reptarium this past weekend I taked to a few employees there and they all pointed out the same tank size I would need to house 4 frogs (Maybe 2, Maybe 4 I'm not sure yet). The tank looked to be 24x48x36 roughly, I could be over sizing it a little.I am interested in Tincs or Leucs.

I really do not want to have a house full of frog tanks just for the simple fack that right now I have a house full of reef tanks and I'm trying to dwindle that down to just 1 main reef tank, and then have 1 Viv.

I also scored some cork bark for pretty cheap. I found a piece that had dries moss on it, still looked slightly green, so maybe I will be able to revive this moss and have some freebies to make up for that Brom ripoff

Well here is my 1st tank.
20 gallon Long. I spent $170 on everything total, All I need to do is buy the frogs now. I picked up a few plants at the reptile store. I saw a bromeliad for $9.99 but the guy said since these are so big I can sell these to you for $15. That was a little BS but I wanted to see if I could grow one before I start a larger tank and spend more money on them.

Full Tank Shot

I forget the name of these (Picked up at lowes)

The $15 Brom

My only rooted Golden Pothos I have
jarteta97 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2018, 07:23 PM

Default Re: My first Vivarium - 20 Gal Long

I'm glad to see another convert to the dart frog/vivarium addiction The unknown plant is a fittonia, very easy to find and very easy to grow. That really is a rip-off for the bromeliad. I got a very large fireball (probably twice that size) for $5 or $6 at repticon. This is a nice little starter tank, though you may want to increase the height of the drainage layer. Usually you want to have at least a quarter of an inch to half an inch between the top of the water in the drainage layer and the bottom of the soil. Otherwise, the soil might become a cesspool.

If you're interested in Tincs or Leucs, then 4 frogs do not need a tank NEARLY that large. I just set up a 24x18x36 which will house 4 Leucs, and that's even a little generous. For 4 Leucs or Tincs, I would go with a minimum of a 24x18x24 exo terra or zoo med. Keep in mind, though, that Leucs like to climb and will appreciate a taller tank with climbing options, while Tincs tend to stay at the bottom of the tank, and might appreciate even a 36" x 18" footprint tank.

Let us know how everything progresses, and if you have any specific questions. Also, the search button is very helpful for newbies, and oftentimes ignored and underestimated. Many questions have been answered 10+ times, if you can just find the threads.
djd3mon likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
I'm glad to see another convert to the dart frog/vivarium addiction The unknown plant is a fittonia, very easy to find and very easy to grow. That really is a rip-off for the bromeliad. I got a very large fireball (probably twice that size) for $5 or $6 at repticon. This is a nice little starter tank, though you may want to increase the height of the drainage layer. Usually you want to have at least a quarter of an inch to half an inch between the top of the water in the drainage layer and the bottom of the soil. Otherwise, the soil might become a cesspool.

If you're interested in Tincs or Leucs, then 4 frogs do not need a tank NEARLY that large. I just set up a 24x18x36 which will house 4 Leucs, and that's even a little generous. For 4 Leucs or Tincs, I would go with a minimum of a 24x18x24 exo terra or zoo med. Keep in mind, though, that Leucs like to climb and will appreciate a taller tank with climbing options, while Tincs tend to stay at the bottom of the tank, and might appreciate even a 36" x 18" footprint tank.

Let us know how everything progresses, and if you have any specific questions. Also, the search button is very helpful for newbies, and oftentimes ignored and underestimated. Many questions have been answered 10+ times, if you can just find the threads.

I'm going to be redoing a few things on this tank. I am going to take the clay balls out and do the egg crate false bottom so I can raise it up more. I thought I had enough clay balls but once I put the substrate in, I was wrong.
I am going to putt out all substrate and have only unbleached paper towels in there for now....until I get my income tax check back and can afford a larger exo terra viv.

There is a NARBC show in my city this weekend so I will have the tank ready to quarentine some frogs. I would rather get 4 frogs for $80 at Josh's Frogs then to wait and buy them online for $40 ea + shipping.

I will have a week to tune in my temp and humidity. A friend gave me his old mist king setup that had 1 mister/pump etc. So that saved me at least $150 right there.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Good call on the false bottom. I agree on the price aspect of getting frogs - amphibian/reptile shows are just awesome. I got my two D. auratus from Josh's Frogs a few years back, and they're doing great.

What's awesome about quarantine is that the frogs really can stay in there for a while without any negative impact. I've heard of experienced hobbyists having kept a frog in quarantine for almost a year before. See if you can get some fecal tests done, that way you can treat any parasites/diseases as soon as possible.

You've got a good friend to give you a mistking. They're really great products, but definitely not cheap. I just got my second one recently, and it's really a boon for watering plants and maintaining humidity.
djd3mon likes this.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
Good call on the false bottom. I agree on the price aspect of getting frogs - amphibian/reptile shows are just awesome. I got my two D. auratus from Josh's Frogs a few years back, and they're doing great.

What's awesome about quarantine is that the frogs really can stay in there for a while without any negative impact. I've heard of experienced hobbyists having kept a frog in quarantine for almost a year before. See if you can get some fecal tests done, that way you can treat any parasites/diseases as soon as possible.

You've got a good friend to give you a mistking. They're really great products, but definitely not cheap. I just got my second one recently, and it's really a boon for watering plants and maintaining humidity.
I am sending off samples for sure. I want to make sure my pets live as long as possible!