Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:51 AM

Default Rain-X

Ok don't stone me until you read this. I haven't used rain-x. But could you use it on the front glass of a viv? Not while the frogs or anything else is in the tank but rather as you are setting up the tank. I believe Rain-x is alcohol based so it would evaporate. As for the residual, it is sucked into the fine pores of the glass, creating the sheeting action. All of my tanks are occupied so it's a mute point for me but I couldn't help but wonder if it would have any ill effects for the frogs that would be added later after the tank cycles and grows a bit. So don't stone me I'm just wondering!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 04:12 PM

I don't think I would risk it but if you did, wouldn't Fog-X be the better product?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:55 PM

Hmmm I guess it would but I don't know what the ingredients are. I kind of enjoy seeing the condensation on the glass this way I know the tank's humidity is up there. It just sucks for viewing and taking pics.
Mike

Old 12-17-2004, 07:01 PM

It only works for a little while, then your back in fog-ville.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:26 PM

There was a post on Frognet (I think), Someone was using a detergent to keep fog off of the glass. If I remember correctly, the frogs showed no I'll effects...but the keeper only used it for occasions when company was coming over, etc. to keep the glass clean. I think the key to doing this safely is to do it only once in a great while. One other thing to consider, if the temp in the viv stayed at or below the room temp, you probably would have no condensation on the glass. Other people have rigged small fans to blow across the front glass. Strategicly placed venting will also do the trick.
Take care,
Old 12-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Administrator

I will offer this one rain-x... While it does work for a bit if you do not reapply it you will end up with a film on your glass that the only way to get rid of it is to reapply the rain-x. When I first started in the hobby rain-x was being used by a number of people and I had applied it to one tank. I know have to re-apply it every so often to keep the glass from looking like it has a film on it. Before I came to this conculsion I tried a number of ways to remove it with no luck.

Your best bet for fog free tanks is a little more ventalation or a small computer fan. Though you have to watch the humidty levels as it can quickly drop too low.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:05 AM

How about using a paper towel and about 3 good wipes :P Dont mean to seem like a smart ass , but really , using rain-x or any other non natural CHEMICAL in the tank I would not advise. A local pet store I know used windex to clean the front of the door on a dart tank , the next day the 3 frogs were dead ? But I do share your want of a clear view into the tank. I think fans used all the time would counter react with trying to keep humity levels proper.What about using a "windowfilm" like the dark tinting products, but try using a clear transparent film like ones used to remove UV :?: The water (condensation) may just roll right off the film on the glass ? might be worth a try. Ive offen wondered if a 2-way mirror glass would make any differences in the frogs behavior by not having the land of the giants always within there view ? I hope in the spring to try a experimental mantella breeding tank completely kept in private, blackened windows , with the least amout of human contact, except at feeding and misting , but mount a web camera in a upper corner for observing them ?
Old 12-18-2004, 04:16 AM

Zoso,
Obviously you didn't read the post. I said what if. Yes I am am aware of the the use of paper towels. I was just trying to see others experience. As far as using any other products.......I don't want it to interfer with viewing. I know a fan for ventilation would be beneficial but in a 10 gal it's not too practical. Any venting of the tank would drop the humidity too much. Just brain storming.......'
Mike
Old 12-18-2004, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner97074
Zoso,
Obviously you didn't read the post. I said what if. Yes I am am aware of the the use of paper towels. I was just trying to see others experience. As far as using any other products.......I don't want it to interfer with viewing. I know a fan for ventilation would be beneficial but in a 10 gal it's not too practical. Any venting of the tank would drop the humidity too much. Just brain storming.......'
Mike
Dunner , Obviously I did read your post,,, and I realize your brainstorming , as was I.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:54 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
I know a fan for ventilation would be beneficial but in a 10 gal it's not too practical. Any venting of the tank would drop the humidity too much. Just brain storming.......'
Check out Ben Green's design. He doesn't use a fan, but has ventilation. I'm making a few of them also.

http://www.thechocohut.com
Old 12-18-2004, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Benson
Quote:
I know a fan for ventilation would be beneficial but in a 10 gal it's not too practical. Any venting of the tank would drop the humidity too much. Just brain storming.......'
Check out Ben Green's design. He doesn't use a fan, but has ventilation. I'm making a few of them also.

http://www.thechocohut.com
Right on! I made something similar for my vert tens and the glass stays clear, and the humidity stays high enough to keep my imitators breeding.
Later,