Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Member's Frogs & Vivariums
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 03:39 AM

Default Keeping busy. 2 builds 12x12x18

I got an almost new exo for a steal. Plan on building it, moving my froglets into it, then deconstructing their current flawed+flooded zoo med to rebuild for some new thumbs. 2 builds. 1 breakdown. 2 tanks. Sheesh.

I've learned some things along the way so their current tank should be easy to fish them out. No substrate, just leaf litter. No hard mounted plants, hides or crevices they can wedge themselves into, between or under. I've spent many hours cursing and deconstructing tanks trying to extract a stubborn froglet. Never again.

Luckily there's enough supplies handy that purchases should be minimal.

Froglet tank:
I plan on using josh's frogs drainage layer with a pond/water access portion in front to siphon water out. I plan on siliconing the substrate screen in place to keep the pond portion in place. I'm considering a 1-2"layer of abg with a substrate screen siliconed OVER it. This would serve 2 purposes. 1 to provide a springtail refugium of sorts. 2 to prevent froglets from burrowing into the substrate. All hides will be removable and maybe i will put a potted pothos or something with big leaves that will be easy to remove. If you haven't noticed, I really hate tearing up an enclosure to get a frog.

The zoo med (current froglet tank) is a mess. It looks bad and doesnt provide much for the frogs. To top it off it's almost flooded and the pobd area I designed is flawed. The GS expanded too much so the drain point is clogged not going to be fun tearing it down but I'm on a budget and it'd be a waste of a perfectly good tank.

These builds will most likely be GS free and utilize 90% of their materials and plants from what I have on hand. I should only have to buy 1 glass top for the exo and 1 mistking nozzle. The money I'm saving will be for the frogs. I want something special but not too shy or loud. Vanzos, imitators, fantastica, benedicta... who knows.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Keeping busy. 2 builds 12x12x18

I'm curious about this plan of yours... screen barrier between ABG and leaf litter. So no ground plants? Just broms, moss, and such that can be grown on wood structures and such. I'm guessing so they all could be easily removed and replaced in the enclosure? I still haven't made the leap to any dart frogs and thumbnail species are really interesting to me but I would imagine they are super tricky to catch when time to pull froglets.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerlite928 View Post
I'm curious about this plan of yours... screen barrier between ABG and leaf litter. So no ground plants? Just broms, moss, and such that can be grown on wood structures and such. I'm guessing so they all could be easily removed and replaced in the enclosure? I still haven't made the leap to any dart frogs and thumbnail species are really interesting to me but I would imagine they are super tricky to catch when time to pull froglets.
Yes this will only be for the froglet tank since I plan on eventually rehoming. I've never been able to extract frogs from a heavily planted tank without completely dismantling it. I don't know if other froggers have this issue but it's ridiculous chopping down a plant little by little or carefully scooping substrate out trying to get a stubborn frog.

I plan on utilizing more artificial hides like film canisters, coco huts, cut seed pods. Only 1 potted plant and the ocassional unmounted cutting or bromeliad pup. Bromeliad clusters, plants and substrate offer endless places for tiny froglets to hide.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Progress!

This is the froglet tank. Layered with 2 substrate screens and hygrolon. All 'seams' are siliconed in place. I used a plastic pot to hold the shape of the drainage layer. Spare hygrolon strips wete siliconed along the back to wick moisture from the bottom. Maybe I can get some moss to grow. And yes the screen is siliconed OVER the abg. I dont want burrowing froglets and maybe it will serve as a springtail refugium. There is also a screen between the abg and drainage layer.

I plan on doing the outside back and front with black contact paper. Much cleaner look IMO.

Luckily all I used was leftover supplies.
Materials used:
-Black ASI aquarium safe silicone
-hygrolon scraps
-screen door 'bug screen'
-1gal neherp ldl drainage layer
~3\4gal neherp abg2 mix