Dendroboard banner

Lucano's first attempt

9K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Lucano 
#1 ·
Hello, this is my first vivarium build, I really like the vivariums that are built around the concept of roots, so this is my attempt in doing something like that. The vivarium is 60x40x50cm, has a false bottom separated from the substrate with a gardening mesh.
I will shortly order the plants, this built will not have tons of colorful bromeliads, maybe only one. Also I'll start with a few plants cause I think that too many plants don't look very natural. Let me know what you guys think so far.

Reptile Python family Python Aquarium Scaled reptile

Tarantula Python family Python

Root Plant Reptile Python Snake

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you. I'll probably be getting a trio of Anthonyi, even though their loud call concerns me a bit since the tank is in my bedroom. Or a trio of Ventrimaculata. I have time to decide, since I want to let the plants grow for a couple months and see if everything is ok. I'll update the thread when the plants arrive!

#7 ·
I have the fine spots. They are beautiful. They are in a grow out tank. Can't comment on the noise as they haven't started calling. I have 2 sun conures that are extremely loud and are up at sun rise making noise. Even though they are downstairs I can hear them, so I have no choice but to tune it out. Although, I am usually up before sunrise anyway.

#9 ·
I really like the set up, is this any specific type of wood or did you collect it/disinfect it yourself?

I have 5 anthonyi in a viv in my bedroom (2nd floor). They are just starting to call... they will be moving into the basement. Mine start calling at like 7:00 (lights on at 8:30am) and will continue to call until 10:00 (lights off at 8:30pm). They are amazing little frogs though. I'm trying to redden them up with Repashy superpig.

#10 ·
Thank you. Those are real roots that I collected from a tree that was about to be cut down, they stuck out (I'm not sure if this is how you say it, so bear with me) from the ground. After that I baked them to sterilize them. I hope they do a nice effect.

#11 ·
I like that their directionality leads the eye to what could be a focal point in the bottom right hand corner. Don't miss out on making the most of this when planting or positioning the rest of your hardscape!
Also worth considering what this will do in terms of visual balance. Offset the focal point with visually 'heavy' elements (larger / darker plants, rocks, etc) on the left and I think you could be in for a very striking composition.
Excited to see where this is headed!

#15 ·
Little update: months have passed, I've been busy and was waiting a good moment to finally order the plants. Well, some plants finally arrived! As soon as the plants arrived I proceeded to put them in the viv to recover a bit from the journey, in fact here in Sicily is starting to become really hot. The only plant that I planted was the monstera cutting, since it wasn't planted. In a few days I'll plant the rest. Let me know of you have any suggestions!

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

#17 ·
Planted! Really hope the plants don't die, I planted them with the dirt they came with directly into the soil. Now if everything goes alright I'll leave the viv grow for several months. Still haven't planted the brom yet, simply cause I don't really know how. Any suggestions? :D

#18 · (Edited)
Little update. Thr plants are all starting to grow, surprisingly they are all doing pretty good! Now I only have to wait till they cover all the viv with leaves. :D Also, wanted to ask if you guys could help with an identification. So, the tank is completely filled with these tiny silvery shiny insects. They are REALLY small, and they are everywhere on the ground and in the background. When I touch them with the tip of a pen they jump and they seem to float on water. I'll try to snap a photo with my phone so sorry for the quality. I was thinking they might be silver springtails but I wouldn't know how they got there.

Attachments

#20 ·
Thought I'd do a little update. The viv hasn't changed much, but the plants are growing. I was thinking of actually do another plant order. Philondendron verrucosum (that is pretty expensive I should add!) and some other plant like some pilea would look good in my opinion. I'm still not sure if I should get moss though. Anyway, here are a few pics.

#26 · (Edited)
Update:

I've added two new plants, cissus amazonica and anthurium scandens. I really look forward on the anthurium, it will (hopefully) grow a ton of aerial roots, which is what I would really like.

I've also started culturing fruit flies for a month now and had pretty good results! I've noticed that they like the media a little more on the moist side, almost like thick cream of you will. I think I'll make two cultures biweekly which should be enough for at maximum 3 ranitomeya. The cups I culture them in are I think 400 ml, on the forum I saw that the majority of folks culture them in 32 oz cups which should be almost 1000 ml (?), I hope my cups aren't too small.
My first culture had TONS of mites but the second ones are apparently mite free for the moment. I'm also starting to culture dwarf white isopods and springtails, I'll be seeding them in the viv soon.

I hope the quality of the photos doesn't distort. That's all for now, cheers!

https://imgbbb.com/image/LWPxuR
https://imgbbb.com/image/LWPQfJ
https://imgbbb.com/image/LWPdxN
https://imgbbb.com/image/LWPpzT

Attachments

#29 ·
I think you might be right. Thank you. Everytime I buy new plants for this tank and let them settle for a few weeks I feel the urge to buy more! It's pretty addicting, and one can have more value in plants than the rest!

On that note I was thinking I may be needing some medium sized leaf plant that doesn't get huge to have more surface for the future inhabitants to go on, othen than that I have a philodendron Vine and a vining peperomia on my list.

#31 ·
Its a beautiful plant, I'm jealous of how well its growing in for you!

Heres a side by side comparison of my Wendlandii (top) vs Rayii (bottom) if its helpful. I see them getting confused for each other both ways all the time. The Rayii has much more velvety leaves.

Thank you very much for posting that photo! The difference is very clear.

I'm not sure if was just for me, but I noticed how this plant grew relatively slowly, the nice thing though is that it arrived in every part of the viv.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.