Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Default Biopod Aqua

Just finished scaping my new Biopod Aqua. It?s for a trio of varadero imitators. I think it still needs work, like it needs a few more bushy, foliage type plants to fill it out. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Biopod Aqua

Nice. What do you think of the biopod so far? You'll have to keep us updated on your experience with it.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Nice. What do you think of the biopod so far? You'll have to keep us updated on your experience with it.
So far it's been good. My main complaint is the misting nozzles. They're fixed in one direction and, since the aqua is supposed to have a raised platform, they don't quite cover the full tank as they're focused too centrally.

EDIT: After 0.02 seconds of fiddling with the nozzles it turns out they can be adjusted left to right
tardis101 and Minnesota like this.

Last edited by --Mark--; 10-20-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:51 PM

I would get what appears to be a tigerina neo brom up higher if I were you, but aside from that it probably just needs some grow in time instead of more plants. Looking good though. I have to keep fighting the urge to get some imitators myself.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 PM

I was just looking at that brom. I don?t really like it where it is so it?ll be moved tomorrow. I love my imitators. They?re sort of bold and have a really pleasant call
Old 10-21-2017, 03:39 AM

Nice. I'm still waiting for mine. I got aquas also.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:44 PM

What did you do for the substrate? All their videos involve using just sphagnum. I don't know if that has enough nutrients for real plants, and with the drip wall I assumed that I'll have to build some sort of impermeable barrier to wall off the ABG from the drip wall to prevent it from being waterlogged. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calivet View Post
What did you do for the substrate? All their videos involve using just sphagnum. I don't know if that has enough nutrients for real plants, and with the drip wall I assumed that I'll have to build some sort of impermeable barrier to wall off the ABG from the drip wall to prevent it from being waterlogged. Thanks.
Like other US backers, I still donĒt have my units, but I do have two large vivaria (one is 4íL x 2íh x 2íd, the other 4íL x 4íh x 2íd) which both use a substrate of just Long-fiber sphagnum moss over filter foam, dressed with leaf litter on top, and my plants not only do well, but need regular trimming. I was skeptical ó I worked with Justin Yeager of Planted Glass Boxes on these ó but it seems to work just fine, for over a year now. You can check out Justinís own work on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/plantedglassboxes/), and he does his other large vivaria the same way. Although I was assured that ABG can be used in the Biopods when I asked the question of Biopod directly, I think Iíll set mine up with sphagnum and leaf litter alone first to see how they do. I have the same concern you do about waterlogged ABG, whereas the sphagnum drains pretty readily...
tardis101, Calivet and Yazz like this.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I've just used ABG mix as I don't have the drip wall on regularly, maybe once per day for about a minute so I don't find it too sodden.

That's one complaint I have about the app though. It's just not customisable enough. I can't have the drip wall on for say two minutes in the morning and two minutes at night, the setting is in minutes per hour. I also can't have the ventilation fans off at night as, again, the setting is minutes per hour. The UI for the custom settings is also lacking a bit of detail that's present in the auto settings page.
Calivet likes this.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Lovely setup.
I just started my Grand and will make sure to follow your progress!
Did you have much experience prior to this?
Best of luck!

My Journal
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=331233
Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
Lovely setup.
I just started my Grand and will make sure to follow your progress!
Did you have much experience prior to this?
Best of luck!

My Journal
Biopod Grand - A Beginnerís Journal - Dendroboard
Not much. This was only my 3rd vivarium however I do have a fair bit of experience with planted and reef tanks from 15 to 450 litres. I'll have a look at your Grand!

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-26-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Mark-- View Post
Not much. This was only my 3rd vivarium however I do have a fair bit of experience with planted and reef tanks from 15 to 450 litres. I'll have a look at your Grand!

Cheers

Mark

🤣🤣 only the 3rd vivarium, planted tanks and reef tanks... not much experience 🤣
Iíll be glad when I achieve as much as you did!
I had tanks too, a couple of planted mostly for shrimps from 180 to 250 litres, then reefs from 180 to 250 litres...
Eventually I gave up the reef tanks, the heavy maintenance, the astronomical electricity bills from running MH lights and the pain of finding someone qualified to look after it every time you get away for a week or more... just too much...
Thanks for visiting my thread.
Take care.

My Journal
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=331233
Old 10-26-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivrus View Post
Like other US backers, I still don”t have my units, but I do have two large vivaria (one is 4’L x 2’h x 2’d, the other 4’L x 4’h x 2’d) which both use a substrate of just Long-fiber sphagnum moss over filter foam, dressed with leaf litter on top, and my plants not only do well, but need regular trimming. I was skeptical — I worked with Justin Yeager of Planted Glass Boxes on these — but it seems to work just fine, for over a year now. You can check out Justin’s own work on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/plantedglassboxes/), and he does his other large vivaria the same way. Although I was assured that ABG can be used in the Biopods when I asked the question of Biopod directly, I think I’ll set mine up with sphagnum and leaf litter alone first to see how they do. I have the same concern you do about waterlogged ABG, whereas the sphagnum drains pretty readily...
Interesting. Their technical support page recommends coconut husk or sphagnum, and explicitly states you should NOT use soil. Why am I not surprised that the left hand isn't talking to the right hand.

https://www.biopod.com/support/technical-guides/
Old 10-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Their technical support page recommends coconut husk or sphagnum, and explicitly states you should NOT use soil. Why am I not surprised that the left hand isn't talking to the right hand.

https://www.biopod.com/support/technical-guides/
Hmm. Sheesh. I wonder if it makes a difference whether setting up the Aqua as a paludarium vs. terrestrial setup. I did ask the question in regards to setting up the Aqua as a terrestrial setup, specifically for darts ó i.e., no water area or use of the ďislandĒ for the land area. I asked because it looked like they were using gravel as substrate in all their setups; they said they only used the gravel around the edges, to hide the substrate because it looks nicer, and that for a terrestrial setup using ABG was fine, and was basically what they used. I wonder if using sphagnum only is the advice for doing a paludarium setup, to keep the soil from staining the water or fouling the pump. I can't see how using ABG in a terrestrial setting would be problematic. (My assumption here is that in the terrestrial set up, one would only be using the misters, and not the drip wall in the back, to maintain humidity and provide water for plants. I am not at all certain that my assumption is correct!)

I asked the question during the 9/20/2017 Facebook Live q&a they did, and you can see their answer starting around 35:30 or so of the video on their FB page. They state explicitly that they use an ďABG-typeĒ soil themselves behind a decorative layer of gravel in terrestrial setups.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
🤣🤣 only the 3rd vivarium, planted tanks and reef tanks... not much experience 🤣
Iíll be glad when I achieve as much as you did!
I had tanks too, a couple of planted mostly for shrimps from 180 to 250 litres, then reefs from 180 to 250 litres...
Eventually I gave up the reef tanks, the heavy maintenance, the astronomical electricity bills from running MH lights and the pain of finding someone qualified to look after it every time you get away for a week or more... just too much...
Thanks for visiting my thread.
Take care.

My Journal
Biopod Grand - A Beginnerís Journal - Dendroboard
Haha. That's the main reason I switched. Had both for a period but couldn't justify the cost of a reef when I moved away for uni.

I've found biopod themselves to be fairly useful although I was told at a show that I wouldn't be able to remove the platform from the Aqua. Biggest issue so far was actually getting the thing here lol. There was a few mix ups at the depot and I ended up getting sent a Terra instead of the Aqua. All worked out eventually though.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Hmmmm.... I am on my second Terra already, on the first one the silicon started to come unzipped on the front panel and on this one there seem to be issues with the pump that irrigates the back wall. Iíve been using it in auto mode but agree looking at custom mode you are limited to the changes you can make.

My thoughts so far - it looks nice but doesnít work nearly as well as the hype would have you believe and they seem to have quality control issues.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philyoung View Post
Hmmmm.... I am on my second Terra already, on the first one the silicon started to come unzipped on the front panel and on this one there seem to be issues with the pump that irrigates the back wall. Iíve been using it in auto mode but agree looking at custom mode you are limited to the changes you can make.

My thoughts so far - it looks nice but doesnít work nearly as well as the hype would have you believe and they seem to have quality control issues.
That's unfortunate to hear, especially after having just ordered one for myself! How have Biopod themselves been in response?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2017, 05:09 PM

They accepted immediately the first one should be replaced but said their warranty process would take 6 to 8 weeks. I think there might have been a bit of miscommunication as my local store got a replacement for me in 2 days.

The second one has been a pain to get the irrigation pump working but seems ok now. I suggest you spend time looking through the technical support pages on their website. The instructions in the box are best described as minimalist!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philyoung View Post
They accepted immediately the first one should be replaced but said their warranty process would take 6 to 8 weeks. I think there might have been a bit of miscommunication as my local store got a replacement for me in 2 days.

The second one has been a pain to get the irrigation pump working but seems ok now. I suggest you spend time looking through the technical support pages on their website. The instructions in the box are best described as minimalist!
How noisy is the tank itself? Is it audible?

Old 11-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illucam View Post
How noisy is the tank itself? Is it audible?

Yes, you can hear it, but I donít find it intrusive. I certainly havenít had to turn the TV up.

I think they should provide more detailed setting up instructions in the box, you wouldnít know, for example, that out of the box you need to prime the irrigation pump.

It looks good, itís not quite as customisable as you might think; set it to auto for a particular species and itís dead easy. One other little annoyance - they make a lot of the built in camera and your ability to look in over the net but... and itís a fairly big but, the video is streamed via their servers and you only get 3 minutes a month.
The Following User Says Thank You to philyoung For This Useful Post:
illucam (11-06-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:26 PM

I haven't found the noise anymore intrusive than my previous tanks.

I also haven't come across the 3 minutes per month allowance. I know I've already used more than that because I had friends over last night and one of them literally sat and stared at my phone watching the camera all night wanting to see a frog on it haha
Old 11-12-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I haven't found the noise anymore intrusive than my previous tanks.

I also haven't come across the 3 minutes per month allowance. I know I've already used more than that because I had friends over last night and one of them literally sat and stared at my phone watching the camera all night wanting to see a frog on it haha
Likewise, mine is operating with a quiet whir of the ventilation and I'm able to view endless video (so far).
Old 11-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Tank looks great, did you get the strater plant pack form Biopod? They should send you one once its registered, if not i would ask for it. Mine came with a sheet of moss some air plants(tislandia) and 4 huge broms, only one of which I actually ended up using. Also I find in palnt set ups, clustering is your friend, 2- 3 plants or the same or simliar types clustered together look really natural.
I just got a bunch of plants from NEHERP, some vines or phildendron would look great, maybe ferns.
Send more pics if you decide on any.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Couple of update pics:

2/11/17

18/11/17
macuser likes this.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Some notable growth there!
Any updates on your Biopod experience? I'm actually having troubles with a humidity sensor not working as intended (always showing 97%) and would be curious to hear of yours!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina View Post
Tank looks great, did you get the strater plant pack form Biopod? They should send you one once its registered, if not i would ask for it. Mine came with a sheet of moss some air plants(tislandia) and 4 huge broms, only one of which I actually ended up using. Also I find in palnt set ups, clustering is your friend, 2- 3 plants or the same or simliar types clustered together look really natural.
I just got a bunch of plants from NEHERP, some vines or phildendron would look great, maybe ferns.
Send more pics if you decide on any.
No I never got the plant packs. I missed the kickstarter preorder so I never got the chance to order them

I have noticed that my humidity sensor often does show 97%, although I have seen it show otherwise and this makes me wonder if perhaps its only accurate up to 97% so won't show any higher? I'm not worried about the humidity being low as there is condensation on the back and sides of the tank.
I'm impressed with the growth so far. I never used to be able to keep moss alive (probably due to poor lighting) but it has really taken off in this tank.
I only really have one major complaint and thats to do with the app not being quite as customisable as I had hoped. Fingers crossed for an update to improve this.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I'm impressed with the growth so far. I never used to be able to keep moss alive (probably due to poor lighting) but it has really taken off in this tank.
May I ask where you got your moss, and what kind? I'm having some trouble with mine (went brown and staying that way) and considering replacing it.

I wonder if having the drip wall on for 1min/hr is too much for it and should put it on manually now and again instead as you suggested. Having greater control over this and an ability to turn the lights on and off (overriding the day/night cycle) would be a great addition to the app.

Last edited by illucam; 11-20-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
May I ask where you got your moss, and what kind? I'm having some trouble with mine (went brown and staying that way) and considering replacing it.

I wonder if having the drip wall on for 1min/hr is too much for it and should put it on manually now and again instead as you suggested. Having greater control over this and an ability to turn the lights on and off (overriding the day/night cycle) would be a great addition to the app.
I've got two kinds in there. One is epiweb moss mix, all I did was wet it, then keep it wet and it sprouted within a few days. The other is tropical sheet moss. The light appears to be strong enough for moss at all levels, I have some up on the higher branches but also some right down on the log at the bottom.
The Following User Says Thank You to --Mark-- For This Useful Post:
illucam (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
epiweb moss mix
Did you pick that up from Dartfrog?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Must admit I havenít used the video since I first got my Terra so maybe thereís no limit now. I notice on their Facebook page they are changing the instructions in the box to be a bit more detailed. No probs on mine with the humidity sensor but my aeration pump is intermittently a bit loud. Otherwise working as expected.

Phil
Old 11-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Have you any inhabitants in your pod? Any photos to boot?
Old 11-20-2017, 02:05 PM

I have three D.tinctorious ĎBrasilí. Take a picture when I get a chance.
illucam likes this.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:59 AM

The moss mix is from Dartfrog. As are two of the three inhabitants. They always seem to know when I get my phone out to take pictures and dive away.

It?s a trio of varadero imitators

The aeration pump and the drip wall are the two main reasons I don?t use the auto mode. The tank is in my bedroom so I really don?t want them going off next to my bed at 3am lol
illucam likes this.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Gorgeous frog! Would love to see more pics of them in situ if you get the chance when they're bold enough!

Less than a month until the courier's bringing up my Varaderos from a breeder in Norfolk! Couldn't be more excited.
I've gone and ordered some moss to replace the dead/dying stuff (likely not tropical moss) and few more orchids to boot. Couldn't resist.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Gorgeous frog! Would love to see more pics of them in situ if you get the chance when they're bold enough!

Less than a month until the courier's bringing up my Varaderos from a breeder in Norfolk! Couldn't be more excited.
I've gone and ordered some moss to replace the dead/dying stuff (likely not tropical moss) and few more orchids to boot. Couldn't resist.
I do see them quite often, but they never stay out in the open for more than a few seconds when I'm close enough to get a picture. Hoping that will come with time as they get more used to me and the plants grow in.
macuser and illucam like this.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:40 PM

Using all of the available space
macuser and illucam like this.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:12 PM

Mark your set up look awesome love it
I'm waiting on my second Biopod Aqua now as the first arrived cracked and I have a few questions
Did you remove the floating island from your AQUA? Did you lower it? I found a Biopod video where the just moved it to the bottom and used it for the false bottom.
Thanks for any info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricall View Post
Mark your set up look awesome love it
I'm waiting on my second Biopod Aqua now as the first arrived cracked and I have a few questions
Did you remove the floating island from your AQUA? Did you lower it? I found a Biopod video where the just moved it to the bottom and used it for the false bottom.
Thanks for any info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear that. That was my worst nightmare, waiting for it for so long for it to be cracked. I just followed the Biopod video to remove the ledge and kept one of the false bottom tiles in to protect the connectors and stuff. I probably could have done with keeping more in to be honest. My drainage layer is a little small
aricall likes this.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. That was my worst nightmare, waiting for it for so long for it to be cracked. I just followed the Biopod video to remove the ledge and kept one of the false bottom tiles in to protect the connectors and stuff. I probably could have done with keeping more in to be honest. My drainage layer is a little small

Yeah my heart sank when I opened it and saw the bottom. They told me to keep all the inside component for parts which was surprising. They have been really good with emails about the replacement. So we shall see.
Yeah I think I'm going to use all the tiles with a level of drainage on-top of them before I add my ABG substrate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illucam likes this.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Some notable growth there!
Any updates on your Biopod experience? I'm actually having troubles with a humidity sensor not working as intended (always showing 97%) and would be curious to hear of yours!
Did you ever figure this out? Since you mentioned it, I've realised mine does the same

Quick update pic 11/12/17:

Had to move the plant at the front (T. spathacea, I think) to the right because it was obscuring everything else

Last edited by --Mark--; 12-11-2017 at 08:55 PM.