No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Some Mantella aurantiaca pics

Family photo...everybody sit still!
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 09:38 AM

Wow, those are beautiful frogs. I wish I had that many. I only have 2, but I have potential for more as they are male & female. Ive gotten eggs before but they never developed. :? Thanks for sharing!
-David
Old 12-05-2004, 05:34 PM

They are beautiful! What can you tell us about them?

Old 12-05-2004, 06:17 PM

Your aurantiaca's are very beautiful. Are they wild caught, or captive breed? Any luck breeding them? I have a group of 6 males right now, along with 9 froglets who are about 2-3 months old now. I hopefully will find an adult female soon to put in with my males. Anyway, good luck breeding them. They look great.

Ed Parker
Old 12-05-2004, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the compliments, They are CB, first generation. I bought them as tadpoles from a guy on kingsnake about a year and a half ago.
The males call like crazy, and I've seen the females get fat, then skinny, but so far I haven't been able to find any eggs, and I also see no tads or surprize froglets yet. :?
I plan on redoing their tank soon, to try and get the pH more in the slightly acidic range, which is supposed to be good for tad development...maybee when I totally tear the tank apart I'll finally find something.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:40 AM

Your Goldens are gorgeous looking,,, they are my most favourite of all Mantellas. I have 3 juv frogs and pray I end up with male and female from them. Good luck breeding them please post any results and how you did it. :wink:
Old 01-07-2005, 08:15 PM

Brian,

How do you keep the temperature on the cooler side? How big is your viv? Do the males fight?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:50 PM

I keep them in a 40 gallon breeder tank, 36"X18"X16" (I think).
The tank is on the bottom shelf of a double tank, metal stand.
It is lit by two 36 watt compacts, with a 4"wide screen section running down the middle. The lights shine through this.
Misted once a day, with two nozzles, for 1 minute during the winter, more in the summer.
I haven't had any problems with them as far as heat goes...I keep the room a/c on during the summer, if need be, I can cool the tank by putting blocks of ice on top of the tank.
I'm trying to come up with a way to cool the tank a little more automaticly, but since heat hasn't really given me any trouble yet, that project is kind of on the back burner.
The males do fight, but they deal with it well, and is fun to watch.
Mantellas are known to do best in colonies, so that is how I set them up.
Later,
Old 01-08-2005, 12:17 AM

I'm thinking about doing a 20 gallon long with 6 Golden Mantellas. I've heard that CB Mantellas handle the higher temperatures much better. I want to have a nice waterfall and pond type thing to help keep the temps a little lower. I have been thinking about getting a supplemental AC unit just in case...probably overkill.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:29 AM

I plan on eventually moving them to a larger tank, I was thinking more like a 65 gallon or so.
Marc Staniszewski, who has several excellent books on mantellas, reccomends using peltier elements to cool vivariums.
I tried one in a small mock up, but only got so-so results. It appeared that in order to get a measly 5 degrees drop, it would require a lot of these units, which aren't exactly cheap, and don't look very pretty. May be an option for a smaller tank though.

Another idea was to employ a drip wall, with a water chiller (reef style) inline with a filter...never wanted to shell out the cash to try it! It would be awesome if it worked though.

It was also pointed out to me that I could plumb an ultrasonic humidifier into the tank, and that would cool things down a little...I tried it, it did cool it down...a little! but also made the tank look like something out of a hospital...not exacltly living room freindly!

I think you're best bet is to A/C the room, and remember if you have a power outage in the summer, Ice works! (just don't over-do it :lol: )
Old 01-09-2005, 01:40 AM

Yes the ice does work when in a "Jam" , Ive used it several times when the hydro went out in the summer and I had a tank with some M.crocea"yellow" and they hate high heat, the ice packs wrapped in wash clothes ,changed twice daily worked.The plan now is to convert my fruit cellar(cold room) into a summer Mantella room which should help to keep the cooler temps as required.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:49 AM

Has anyone ever come accross ruby Mantella aurantiacas? Are they even smaller? Is it true that, in general, Mantella aurantiacas can withstand higher temps than other Mantellas? And even higher temps if the CB Mantellas?
Old 01-09-2005, 02:16 AM

David, if you're serious about mantellas, you should check out that book that I mentioned...# is ISBN 3-930612-54-2
Mantellas, author Marc Staniszewski
(edition Chimaira)
This book has very specific details on the care of many mantella species.
The aurantiacas are a highland species, so should be kept on the cool side.
The book I mentioned lists these and more paramaters:
Normal temps 65-72 F, to as low as 60 during the rest period
Tadpoles should be kept with water between 64-70, with water pH of 6.0-6.3
These should be used as guidelines, mine have experienced paramaters well outside of that, and shown no disasterous consequences. (I raised mine from tads)
This is just one example of the detail in the book.
I would like to find some of the rubys also...the pics in the book are awesome!
Old 01-09-2005, 03:11 AM

Beautiful pics
Old 01-09-2005, 03:39 AM

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2005, 01:48 PM

David,

There are red Mantella aurantiaca that are often called ruby mantella frogs or Mantella aurantiaca rubra. There are also red Mantella milotympanum that are regularily called ruby mantellas or red mantellas. I don't have any personal experience with either of these frogs, but I would assume that the red aurantiaca tolerates the same conditions as the orange aurantiaca. M. milotympanum is the smallest species of mantella and, from what I've read and heard, generally does best at warmer temperatures than those prefered by aurantiaca. Mantella expectata and populations of betsileo tolerate the warmest temperatures and can be kept in a temperature range similar to dart frogs, even a little higher every now and then.

As for captive-bred frogs tolerating higher temperatures than wild-caught frogs, in my experience with M. aurantiaca this seems to be true. I lost a wild-caught frog during a warm summer quite a few years ago. The room temperature then was in the upper 70's, a temperature that my captive bred frogs in my warm room experience daily during the summer. I've also recorded surface temperatures of the substrate reaching the 80's in my froglet cage housing M. crocea.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:55 PM

Thanks Devin!
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 AM

A couple new ones:

Enjoy!
Old 06-09-2005, 02:08 PM

Could we get a full tank shot i really want to see this thing it looks great
Old 06-09-2005, 03:41 PM

David, i kept a group of 5 goldens (from Devin Edmonds) in a 20 long with a regular strip light. i had a full screen lid with a piece of acrylic (~5x24) sitting on it. i had a water fall that was just a plastic bowl with a pump in it, with slate stacked up (very simple, it was one of my first vivs). the temp ranged from 68-78 (cool nights-warm days) and i never had any trouble at all with them. i kept them for about 7 months before my AC went out and my house got up to 100*. i shun to think about what the temp was inside the vivs i had running at the time. i lost three groups of frogs (including my goldens), and a day gecko to heat that sad weekend.

up until the AC incedent they were all very active. i could hear the males beginning to call. they were the best frogs ive ever had.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk442
Could we get a full tank shot i really want to see this thing it looks great
I'll see what I can do...a 40 gallon breeder tank's shape doesn't lend itself well to full tank shots...the group photo on the previous page is the closest I have for now.
I've been wanting to redo the tank for a while now...It's way overgrown with ferns!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:19 PM

I know what you mean about tank size i have several 40 gallon breeders with fish and man are they hard photograph nicely.. Looks great and I love ferns so overgrown with them is good thing in my book