Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Member's Frogs & Vivariums (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/)
-   -   First time in a long time (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/31891-first-time-long-time.html)

jubjub47 09-14-2008 03:56 AM

First time in a long time

I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years. In my late teens and early twenties I was really heavy into all herps. I've bred bearded dragons, several types of chameleons, uromastyx, red eyes, monkey frogs, white's, and Tincs, auratus, leucs and azureus. Now that I'm a bit more stable financially I'm wanting to get back into dart frogs. While I do have several years experience breeding these guys it has been a long time and I know that a lot has changed so I'm taking my second go at this with a beginners mentality. I've been snooping the boards in the shadows and doing a lot of reading to try and get caught up on the many things that I've missed over the years. It's really changed quite a bit. Anyways, I've been putting together one of my old tanks (approx. 70gal) and I've finally got it planted with an initial round of plants. I've set this up with a false bottom. Instead of using a leca layer I've used a layer of bio balls for aquariums since I get them for free at work. I've got a humidifier setup installed that comes in through a bulkhead on the bottom of the tank. There is also a 1/2" drain installed on the bottom in case I need to change water at any point. I've installed a misting system that uses a sure-flo pump that I found at work in a junk bin. I've also installed 3 36watt power compact lights in the canopy.

My plan is to house a group of leucs into the tank until I feel I'm comfortable again with the caring for these guys. I would appreciate any suggestions or help about any of the setup or if I've put some plants in that won't do too well. The plants have been in for less than a week so it's going to take some growing in. I've also got a few plants coming from blackjungle this week and some leaf litter waiting to go in. Also, what size of a group of luecs would be comfortable in this setup?

Thanks for any suggestions or info.

Tim

http://www.fsflorida.com/fsf/viv1 (Large).JPG
http://www.fsflorida.com/fsf/viv2 (Large).JPG

onefstsnake 09-14-2008 04:03 AM

Re: First time in a long time

Looks great!
Good mix of different plants as well.

CHuempfner 09-15-2008 03:28 AM

Welcome back! You could probably teach some of us a few things!
Your new start looks great... just more plants to make the frogs more comfy. Maybe another brom--my leucs sleep in theirs every night!
I would say a group of 5 would probably do great in there!
Good luck, and share another pic when you get everything in there, including the frogs :)
Crystal

CHuempfner 09-15-2008 03:29 AM

OHH... I almost forgot!
Maybe add some leaf litter so the substrate doesn't stick to the frogs as much!
Crystal

tkromer 09-15-2008 11:09 AM

Looks great to me too. I would add some leaf litter or a second brom, something for more cover. I would say a group of 5 sounds about right as well.

boogsawaste 09-16-2008 12:23 AM

Same on the leaf litter. I think it looks great. Welcome back! I took about 5 years off of pdf's and came back as a beginner since so much has even changed while I took my hiatus. I can't imagine how much has changed since you got out...well I'm sure the price for one thing.

jubjub47 09-16-2008 04:06 AM

I added leaf litter today. I still need to add a bit more but it really made a big difference in the appearance.
The amount of things that have changed in this hobby is mind blowing. The great thing about getting back in now is the amount of information and community on the internet. Before when I was dealing with herps most info was found in books and the few breeders that you would meet at local shows and such. It's a much better time for the new or rusty in my case herper to get into the hobby and have a good outlet for information and help. It's really nice to see.

Frogtofall 09-16-2008 04:25 AM

Welcome back to the craziness that is dart frog keeping! I will give you some of my opinions on your viv based on what I see and what I've read...

I think your viv looks great. I can tell you want a full and tropical look. I think your viv has great height and its a shame to see much of it not used. If you purchased some more driftwood or maybe even did the whole Great Stuff/silicon background thing, you could place broms or other epiphytic plants up there. I also noticed that most of your plants are self heading types. This means all they are gonna do is grow straight up towards the light. The Pilea (bottom right) will get very leggy and the oval leaved plant with white edges (a type of Peperomia) will get very very large and outgrow your viv. The Begonia (upper right corner) may rot on you but could come back. Those types also get very tall and leggy which is not always the most *attractive* thing to see. :) Most of the other plants will do great and should look nice.

I don't think you really need more plants on the bottom but could definitely use some plants in the upper regions, especially bromeliads. With all that light, many of the Neoregelia types would color up fantastically. The one you have is a type of Guzmania which, oddly enough, like less light. Leaf litter is a definite must as well. :)

Again, welcome back and I hope my reply has been helpful somehow.

jubjub47 09-16-2008 11:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to be adding a few more broms and such to the tank. I've also got a few creeping figs that are just sitting on top of the tank that need to go in as well. To be honest, I was kinda going for a tall semi shady viv. I think your right about the begonia in the back corner, the lower leaves aren't looking that great but I see new flowers on it daily. I'm not really sure what's happening with that thing. I was scared to try a great stuff wall and go that route at this time since I had never done it and was kind of concerned with my ability to do the whole process. I've actually got a 10g that I've decided to experiment with and it's going pretty good. I'll probably give it to my girlfriend for her baby pacman frog though.

boogsawaste 09-17-2008 01:52 AM

The great stuff is actually very easy. Just fill the back wall with it and when it's dry get on some rubber gloves and silicone away. Use your gloved hand to spread the silicone into all the cracks (work in small sections at a time as it skins over quickly, I do about 10"X10" sections at a time). Throw on dry coco bedding (I pat it down with my un-siliconed hand), and when it drys stand it up and blow off the excess. Fill in any bare spots as needed.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you can silicone the side walls about 6" from the back forward. This is to hide the white great stuff when viewed from the side. Simply take a razor blade and score a line in the silicone outlining the g/s background and then razor from the front of the tank towards your score line to remove excess.

jubjub47 09-18-2008 06:07 PM

I'm at the silicone stage of a 10g at the moment. I don't think its very hard, but I'm not enjoying it either. I do think that it produces a nicer look so the whole process is probably worth it. As for using silicone to cover the sides and such, we use a black film similar to window tint that is applied using water and a small squeegie. Its really easy to do and you can just pull it off if you ever redo the tank in a matter of seconds. Plus the price is right, at least for me.

jubjub47 09-21-2008 02:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Just an update on my viv. Still no frogs in it. I've added the first batch of leaf litter, but still more to come. I've swapped my 3x55w pc's for 2x26w t5ho lights. And yes the back right begonia is looking poor on the lower side, but looks really good up top and still blooms all the time.

I tried to catch it before the mister came on but I was about a minute late and I'm too lazy to wipe the front down:p Which brings up the fact that I have ordered a dual output head from mistking that should help out with this problem.

onefstsnake 09-21-2008 03:12 AM

Looking great! Nice variety of plants in the tank.

cyberbrat 09-21-2008 05:05 AM

Beautiful plants and setup! Would you mind sharing the lighting fixture and bulb that you have on it? Description and pic perhaps?

Thanks!

Jeanie

orchid_man 09-21-2008 12:18 PM

Absolutly stunning vivarium!